Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820791 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Walking
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:10:43 pm »
Been on any good walks?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »
Went on a pleasant walk today, not too strenuous.  8)

We started out at the Pensarn Beach car park and headed along the cycle/footpath that runs along the sea towards Llanddulas. Was a slight shower of rain  as we started out but it soon cleared up and, after about 20 minutes, we arrived at the Tides Cafe Bistro on the beach at Llanddulas. After a very pleasant coffee and bara brith, we headed up under the railway line/A55 and up to the crossroads with the old Abergele Road. Straight across at the road junction and after a couple of hundred feet, through the gap in the wall onto one of the old paths in the Gwrych Castle Estate. Following the main path for about a mile or so, we eventually came out at the Castle itself and had a little look around. I was pleased to see that owners had sealed up the building itself, as it was very dangerous for children etc inside. Back down the castle driveway into Abergele and along Sea Road back to the beach and a Cornetto, followed by Crazy Golf and Air Hockey in the little arcade there.  D)

craigollerton

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »
Worth mentioning a walk up Nant-y-Gamar is good this time of year. Plenty of sloes, highland berries about around now. The best berries are the low-laying ones in the grasses which are particularly sweet. Then there is the views of course.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »
After a strenuous walk on the Carneddau on Wednesday, I had hoped for a leisurely stroll on Saturday again on the lower Carneddau.  I should have known better with my friend Geraint who tends to add on bits to the walk!
We met at the Pinnacles Cafe in Capel Curig and had intended to walk from there to Llyn Crafnant then to Gerionydd and back but while munching away at a big breakfast (while. I was just having a coffee) he found a brochure on Capel Curig Walks. Anyway we had all day so we decided to give it a go.
Leaving the cafe we crossed the road and went on the well marked route past the church and before long came to the head of the beautiful Crafnant valley. We stopped there and had some more refreshments  Z** and just admired the scenery below us. On our way down to the path around the lake we passed a couple of the Carneddau ponies just munching away and were not too bothered about our presence. Carrying on down the lake we resisted the temptation of the cafe but took time to watch a man fly fishing from a boat on the lake. We carried on down and turned by the mine workings to cross over to Llyn Geirionydd. At the Taliesin Monument we stopped again and watched the water skiers and canoeists making the most of the good weather.
The water of Geirionydd has been poluted over time by the lead mines further up the lake as Dave pointed out recently but Geraint and my friend Ian had fished a few years ago at a spot on the roadside about 100 metres from the Dam and they caught 6 and 12 trout respectively at that point. All the fish were released back into the lake as I don't think that they fancied eating any, just in case.  From there we carried on along the road until we came near to the Ugly house and then took a right turn and walked through a narrow and poorly signposted track until we were above the Bryn Tyrch and dropped down there for a quick drink before returning to the Pinnacles and our cars.  Hope to post some photos of the walk asap.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »
Carrying on down the lake we resisted the temptation of the cafe but took time to watch a man fly fishing from a boat on the lake.
Fabulous location for a cafe to sit out overlooking Crafnant...but food/drink was a little disappointing. If they ever have any competition around the lake, they will be in trouble.  Z**

Cafe by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »
Pinnacles Shop and Cafe with Snowdon in the background.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »
Pinnacles Shop and Cafe with Snowdon in the background.

How are you attaching the photo, Hugo?

This is a good a place as any to explain how to upload photos to a post.

1) After writing your post, underneath the message box, click on Additional Options.
2) Next to Attach, click on the 'Choose File' button.
3) Select the photo file you want to use from my computer's hard drive (it must be less than 300k in size).
4) If you want to add another photo, click on (more attachments) and repeat the procedure.
5) Click on Post and the message & photo should be displayed.

Dave

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:00 am »
Pinnacles shop and Cafe with Snowdon in the background

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:55:08 am »
Excellent, Hugo;  I see you've conquered the upload image thing?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:38 am »
Yes, I particularly like the 2nd and 4th photos, Crafnant looks so different from that angle. Job well done, Hugo.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:34 am »
Mine ruins and water sports on Llyn Geirionydd

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:18:45 am »
Here's a couple more of Crafant:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:19:51 am »
What's that white house used for, Ian? Holiday home?

House in the Hills by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:25 am »
AFAIK, it's a holiday home.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:29:07 am »
Lovely photo of Cornel in the snow.  :) Those bins could do with being hidden away a bit though...I noticed them when I walked past last time.