Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822359 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Walking
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2011, 12:56:33 am »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
Found this info about the Tower:

"Imagine sipping a Sea Breeze in your own unique tower - which comes complete with a cocktail bar and a lift to take you down to the boathouse and beach - while watching the crashing waves below and admiring panoramic views of the North Wales coast.
It's no wonder that local master builder, Frank Tyldesley, who built Bryn-y-Mor in exclusive Llys Helig Drive in Llandudno in 1938, lived here for 60 years.

The tower itself is totally unique and the only one of its kind along 'Millionaire's Row' - a name aptly coined by locals for this stretch of exclusive houses along a private access road with beach frontage "

Totally unique...and now a complete eyesore.

Tower Of Mystery by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
It was a dry sunny day so I thought I'd have a walk on the Great Orme. I decided to walk along the beach to the gunsite first of all as I hadn't done that for about 50 years!  Keeping a constant eye on the incoming tide I walked along the sand and over the rocks and near the cliffs. The first thing I came to was a tunnel under the Marine Drive but don't know what purpose it was for. It had steps going up at one time but they have long since gone and I couldn't see inside it.  

Snippits from a book which I have only got bits of, suggests that the tunnel  was connected to an old jetty and a quarry.
I too walked on there yesterday, as far as the tower, alot of the sea defences look a little precarious.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »
I wonder if any of the regular contributors to this thread would fancy taking this on?

Mountain trail in Spain
The entrances for this trail are closed but not policed. It was built in the 1920's for hydro workers. There is no rail, but there is a chain to hold onto, but it doesn't hold much weight and several people have fallen to their deaths. This is an amazing walk. It's 6 minutes long and should be watched till the very end.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_path.html

brumbob

« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »
That's a great video, I've sent it to many people in the past.
There's no way you'd get me up there with my head for heights, even if it was made safe.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »
It was a dry sunny day so I thought I'd have a walk on the Great Orme. I decided to walk along the beach to the gunsite first of all as I hadn't done that for about 50 years!  Keeping a constant eye on the incoming tide I walked along the sand and over the rocks and near the cliffs. The first thing I came to was a tunnel under the Marine Drive but don't know what purpose it was for. It had steps going up at one time but they have long since gone and I couldn't see inside it.  

Snippits from a book which I have only got bits of, suggests that the tunnel  was connected to an old jetty and a quarry.
I too walked on there yesterday, as far as the tower, alot of the sea defences look a little precarious.
That's interesting Nemesis because when I looked at the 1872 map of the proposed Marine Drive it shows the jetty and quarry in the exact same position of the tunnel.  This photo was taken of the wall just bellow the tunnel and there are the remains of some iron rods and steps that may have had something to do with the works
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:51:26 pm by Hugo »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »
Ah ! missed those as I kept on the sand, thought the rocks were a bit rough for Frizzy's legs and my knees !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »
Yesterday my sister Llinos and I went up Graiglwyd mountain in Pen.  It's a steep climb but well worth a visit.  This mountain is the site of the Stone Age Axe Factory which sits on the slopes, Druids Circle on the summit and a WW2 crash site just off the track. 
Although a sunny day, it was still very cold.  I'll tell you a bit about the crash site first. (some facts might not be exactly right as my Dad is on holiday for two weeks so I can't check, you know me  ;) )
On January 7th 1944  the American B-24j Liberator Bachelors' Baby was flying over Penmaenmawr.  It was extremely misty and due to navigation equipment at the time not being as advanced as it is today the 11 crew and Booster the dog thought they were flying over the sea.  Unfortunately their mistake was realised too late and they crashed on Graiglwyd Mountain. 
Suffering a broken leg one of the survivors struggled in great pain down the mountain to Penmaenmawr to raise the alarm.  A rescue party was organised and the group made their way back up to the crash site in the freezing January conditions.  Unfortunately 5 crew members and Booster the dog were killed. 
Some years later a survivor from that crash accompanied by a vicar and some local people returned to the site and erected the memorial we can see today.
When I was a kid I remember large parts of the plane were still there but over the years people have removed bits and pieces as mementos, small bits of debris such as screws and bits of metal can still be found there,   people have more respect nowadays and they tend to leave them around the memorial.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:35 pm »
Llinos and I also took a look at the Neolithic (new stone age) axe factory. 
This site was discovered at the beginning of the last century by an archaeologist and his wife while walking on the mountain. 
Axes made on this site were used to chop trees so land could be cleared to grow crops and have been found as far away as South Wales and Yorkshire.   There is still lots of half finished and broken axes scattered around.  The axes were taken over to the Llanfair side of the mountain to be polished then exported all over Britain. The site was excavated in the 1920s but no complete axes were discovered.  You can see where the scree has been cut from the rock and a small plateau where the men would have worked.  It's odd that no dwellings were ever found for the people working on these slopes, unless their houses or shelters were made of wood and animal hides which would explain no traceable remains (a theory put forward by Alwyn S Evans) I also took a photo of a stone shaped like a set of stairs, it was the colours in it I found fascinating and the last photo is of a rock found at Druid Circle.  Notice the cut marks on the surface?

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »
I have been reading a book called Populating the Past by Alwyn S Evans.  A fascinating book based on the history of the mountains above Penmaenmawr.  From Braich Y Dinas to Druids Circle.  It has left me with more questions than answers to be honest.  It was reading this book that spurred me to visit Druids Circle.  Although called Druid Circle it has nothing to do with the Druids as the circle was constructed 1000 years before they came here? 
I visited the site a few times as a child and I remember the stones being a lot larger.  In his book a theory is put forward (not by him) that suggests the circle could have been a type of ancient building which at one time could have been covered in wood.  Having been there yesterday I tend to think this makes more sense as the site is situated on an ancient pass which travels from Braich Y Dinas across the mountain to Druid Circle then on to Caer Seion a fort above Conwy.  You expect from the name a vision not unlike Glastonbury.  However this is a circle made up of relatively small stones.  If you place stones in a circle one will be facing the rising sun won't it?  Notice the other smaller circles across the path from Druids Circle.  It would also make sense of the fact only 2 children and one woman have been found buried within or near the stones.  Could these people have just lived there? as apposed to being sacrificed. If there was sacrifices here then why only 3 bodies found?  I'd love to get Time Team up there.  As far as I'm aware the last excavation was done in 1958.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2011, 07:11:44 pm »
There is also other large stones around the site.  They seem to have been purposely placed in areas rather than being naturally apparent.  The last photo looks like an old monument but I think it's probably the site of someones dead dog  :o

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
I wonder if any of the regular contributors to this thread would fancy taking this on?

Mountain trail in Spain
The entrances for this trail are closed but not policed. It was built in the 1920's for hydro workers. There is no rail, but there is a chain to hold onto, but it doesn't hold much weight and several people have fallen to their deaths. This is an amazing walk. It's 6 minutes long and should be watched till the very end.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_path.html

Jeezus H Christ Paddy!
I have no problem with heights, but I do have a massive problem walking on wafer thin, or disintegrated concrete half a mile above a rocky death.
Utter madness.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
Called in at Angies Special Place as well,

Had to laugh Dave,  Gez thought we'd spray painted the walls  :roll:

Good job he didn't see what was written inside  :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2011, 10:06:00 pm »
Called in at Angies Special Place as well,

Had to laugh Dave,  Gez thought we'd spray painted the walls  :roll:

Good job he didn't see what was written inside  :o
L0L

What do you mean....  8)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »
Very good Smarty pants.  Shame the council couldn't do the same!!