Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821306 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Walking
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
A few more pics of the press.  Apparently most presses of this type were fixed to the floor.  The Colombian however had four sturdy legs.  It weighs a ton, not literally.  Trudy says it took four lads to move it to it's current location. I couldn't even turn it round.  So the picture of the badge is not that clear.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:43:33 am by Pendragon »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2011, 11:39:43 am »
Just in case in the middle of the night a van turned up and the press was nicked
Who'd do a thing like that?! *phones up to cancel van hire for tonight*

Great find, Angie. Wonder how it found its way to Conwy - could there be any connection with the old R.E Jones printers on the Quay?
Ha ha I was tempted to offer her £20 and say it would make an unusual door stop. (only joking)
According to Trudy it was found in a pit in one of the stables/cottages with all removable parts laid beside it. It would be interesting to find out how it got there?

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »
On my last walk with Socs we went down to the beacons.  I was looking at some of Hugos pics on strange stones and remembered I'd taken this photo of a carved rock on the shore.  I'm no Tony Robinson but I reckon this is part of Llys Helyg   :o (if only)  it does look really old though doesn't it.  I wonder how it got down there?  My Dad says Mike Senior (I'd love to meet him) proved that Helygs Castle never existed.  I feel as disappointed as I did when I discovered Bedd Gelert was just a story conjured up by a local landlord to attract travelling Victorians to his pub.  The boat pictured is the Edward Birkbeck.  now moored next to the Grey Lady in Conwy.  It looks in dire need of repair too.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:54 am »
Hi Angie, The walk along the coast to the Gunsite isn't dangerous at all but there is no path and sometimes you have to hop from one rock to another so you have to be careful where you go.
The sea does lap the bottom of the cliffs in places so I'd always go at a low tide and don't walk on wet rocks with seaweed as you could come a cropper as I nearly did. I soon came off that stretch!
The Little Orme walk is different as there are marked paths and on a high tide you may well see the seals around the Angel Bay area and the views are stunning from the top. It's a short walk and with little effort you are rewarded with great views and don't forget to take your camera there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:02 am »
I enjoyed a nice walk yesterday starting from Porthmadog where we walked around the lagoon and watched the West Highland Railway train as it departed on it's journey to Caernarfon.  As we crossed over the bridge into Porthmadog we kept a lookout for the otters that swim around there but today unfortunately we didn't see any.   Along the harbour then to the quieter village of Borth Y Gest and then along the coast to Morfa Bychan.
There were stunning views looking back with the peaks of Cnicht and Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach standing out. Across the Estuary we could see the woodland walks of Portmeirion and the peaks of the Southern Snowdonian mountains in the distance.
At Morfa Bychan we crossed the Golf Course and made our way up to the top of Moel Y Gest but the path up to it was just like a river flowing as a result of last night's rain.  At the top we were rewarded with panoramic views over Greenacres caravan park and most of the Llyn Peninsula.
Then it was a steep descent over a very muddy and slippy path down to Portmadog. One guy had a tumble and was covered in mud so it was a good job that he had a change of clothes handy because we were then off to a friend's house for a lovely meal and drinks.
We were lucky with the weather today, sunny spells but a cool wind blowin on the higher ground.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:14 am »
Porthmadog walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2011, 09:50:55 am »
Porthmadog walk

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: February 27, 2011, 10:10:20 am »
The causeway shot is very evocative, Hugo.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #248 on: February 27, 2011, 02:32:31 pm »
Great pics, we used to live near Porthmadog so know that area well. in this pic you've captured Blanche and Merddin Emrys  D)
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33.0;attach=3852
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
Great pics, we used to live near Porthmadog so know that area well. in this pic you've captured Blanche and Merddin Emrys  D)
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33.0;attach=3852

You're lucky to have lived in that beautiful area and now moved to another beautiful location.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:40 pm »
I had to get the ice off my car before I could drive to Capel Curig to start the walk up to Moel Siabod (2862 ft), but the weather for the rest of the day was perfect for walking.  We parked the car at Pont Cyfyng and crossed the bridge then followed a steep track uphill until we came to the dilapidated building near the style. It's quite a pull to there but the next bit along the disused track was easier and we carried on until we came to the ruins just below the water filled quarry. After a drink and a bite to eat we carried on and decided to take the direct route up the quarry face which took us about 45 minutes to climb. It's a steep scree slope and at times it's two steps forward and one back as the scree is so loose now due to erosion but we made it.   At the summit we finished off the rest of the food and drink and the Ravens were grateful for the morsels we gave them.   The views from this peak on a good day are stunning and today was no different.  An unusual cloud formation covered southern Snowdonia and only the peaks of the mountains were visible but my photos don't do it justice.  After about 30 minutes we made a quick decent down the path to Plas Y Brennin probably too quick because I had a nasty tumble on some ice but my only injury is a sore thumb, thank goodness.  From Plas Y Brennin we followed the River Llugwy as far as Pont Cyfyng and made our way back to the car and then back home. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »
Moel Siabod

Offline Hugo

« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »
Moel Siabod

Offline Hugo

« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
Moel Siabod

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »
Hi Angie, The walk along the coast to the Gunsite isn't dangerous at all but there is no path and sometimes you have to hop from one rock to another so you have to be careful where you go.
The sea does lap the bottom of the cliffs in places so I'd always go at a low tide and don't walk on wet rocks with seaweed as you could come a cropper as I nearly did. I soon came off that stretch!
The Little Orme walk is different as there are marked paths and on a high tide you may well see the seals around the Angel Bay area and the views are stunning from the top. It's a short walk and with little effort you are rewarded with great views and don't forget to take your camera there.
We did the walk today, managed to time it so the tide was going out. Called in at Angies Special Place as well, Angie was thrilled to see it:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:13:09 pm by DaveR »