Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821541 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Walking
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:23 pm »
As I came round the hill it was obvious the sheep path through the ferns and  down to the old reservoir were far too steep for us to tackle so we had to go the long way round.  I lost sight of the target when we walked round the first hill.  We came back round the other side which took a lot longer than I had anticipated to be honest.  We got to the reservoir and something was different, this seemed to be larger with more trees round it (pic 1/2)  lovely views from there too.  It's hidden from the road.  It would make for a lovely picnic with the fallen tree at the back.
Again does anyone know what these building are?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »
I sat by the reservoir and had a rest, then we followed the path back towards Conwy.  I found the original reservoir further along.  I think they were reservoirs?  I took photos but I was glad I'd overshot it and stumbled across the other as it was much more picturesque. (pic 1/2)  Another fantastic view over Conwy. (pic 3)

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
We came down the mountain and over the stile by the caravan park and walked back towards the White House.  From the road I noticed the old buildings in the Park Hall hotel.  So I walked up the path and asked if I could take some photos.  The buildings are probably not as old as they look.  They look the part though, I don't think anyone lives in them? Look at this press.  A columbian Eagle sits on the top with fish on the sides.  A work of art.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:04:44 am by Pendragon »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »
The buildings.....they could be old quarry buildings like the Victorian ones above Pen..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:28:39 am by Trojan »

brumbob

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2011, 10:55:11 pm »
Coming back to Penmaen Mawr, it amazes me just how much granite has been blasted from the top of the mountain.

Compare the old B&W view from Haulfre Gardens to the recent colour one.
Not only that, they've also blasted away the houses and Haulfre Gardens  :laugh:

nice photos Angie

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2011, 11:03:04 pm »
Thanks Bob  :-*
Trojan I noticed they were like the ones in Pen.  Was that quarry closed in favour of the one in Pen then?  What was the stone, was it granite?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2011, 11:04:33 pm »
Yes Granite. Most of the cobbled streets of Lancashire was quarried in Pen

The granite was lowered from the quarry by self-acting inclines to the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge tramway which ran to jetties from where the setts were loaded into ships. After 1848 the majority of the quarry output was sent by main-line rail, although the quarry and its internal narrow gauge railway continued to thrive through the nineteenth century.

Have you seen the remains of the old steam loco Penmaen built in 1878?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:30:38 am by Trojan »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »
No I haven't, I must have missed it?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:56 am »
No I haven't, I must have missed it?

It's a DeWinton - built in Caernarfon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Winton

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:40 am »
I'll have a look next time I go up.   *&(

Offline Trojan

« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2011, 12:51:20 am »
Rumour has it that it was to be donated to a railway museum and 'airlifted' off the mountain by a RAF helicopter.

However, this was deemed to be too dangerous.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
Socs goes home in an hour.  It won't be the same going for a walk without her.  How will I write an interesting story about my journey from Spar and Georges.  Dave get your walking boots on matey were "ganning oot"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2011, 09:14:54 am »
Dave get your walking boots on matey were "ganning oot"
:o

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2011, 11:22:08 am »
I phoned my Dad this morning and in a couple of weeks were going up the old disused Llanfair quarry.  Apparently he says there's an old steam powered engine up there still in the shed, can't wait to see that.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
I phoned my Dad this morning and in a couple of weeks were going up the old disused Llanfair quarry.  Apparently he says there's an old steam powered engine up there still in the shed, can't wait to see that.

Can't wait to see your pics!  X:((