Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821431 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Walking
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:59 am »
You have to follow the old path round to your right, if you walk any further you'll be at the top of the crater where they still collect granite.  An awesome sight from the edge.  By now my battery was going flat.  I had to take this photo of Ali and the huge Tetra truck.  We've all got similar photos from when we were kids.  Childish but fun. (pic 1)  We were now to our relief on the way down.  I don't know what a dowty road is?  All in all it was a 7 mile walk by the time we got to Alis for a cup of coffee and toast.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2011, 08:21:55 am »
Looks like a great walk, probably your best yet! Lots of hidden places, I love that lake with the horses around it.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:00 am »
If you want to go Dave I'l take you.  I want to go up there again and take more pics of the ruins.  I played up there as a kid and never really took any notice.  It rivals Deganwy.  Look at this tower in the rock.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2011, 10:42:50 am »
As our grandson says "that's awesome" Angie - bring on the next installment.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49:38 am »
If you want to go Dave I'l take you.  I want to go up there again and take more pics of the ruins.  I played up there as a kid and never really took any notice.  It rivals Deganwy.  Look at this tower in the rock.
Yes, that would be interesting. Looks to be a great place for photography.

When I was in Pen last Saturday, I had a quick look round the Plas Mawr park you went through and liked the wildlife pond that's at one end.

brumbob

« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2011, 12:33:33 pm »
Angie, you must have legs like Xena with all this walking  ;D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »
Ew that's horrid Bob.  I've never understood women body builders.  It's just not a good look  :o

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »
Makes your eyes water !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »
Some great photos there Angie and it must be quite a hike getting up there to see those stunning views.  Years ago they had one day in the year when the quarry was open to the public and people would be taken up to the top of the quarry and the money raised was then donated to charity.
Sadly that stopped some years ago as I'd have like to have gone up there.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »
There are public footpaths all over the Quarry Mountain.  The walk we did would have been much easier had we approached it from the Llanfair side.  We can organise a walk up there maybe.  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:44:25 pm by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »
Today Socs and I went 5 miles round Conwy mountain.  As soon as we walked up the first hill we saw the wild ponies. (pic 1) I don't think they're the ones we saw in Llanfair.  The ones in Llanfair seemed in better condition to the ones I saw today.  I enlarged this picture so you can see the marks on these ponies (pic 2)  There was a white one that looked like is had mange.  Big bald patches on it's back.  It could just be that the pony was old.
I wonder how many ponies in total are up the mountain?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
Last time I saw the wild horses was when I walked up Tal-y-Fan. They seemed quite timid and we couldn't get very close to them before they galloped away.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
Coming back to Penmaen Mawr, it amazes me just how much granite has been blasted from the top of the mountain.

Compare the old B&W view from Haulfre Gardens to the recent colour one.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »
We carried on up the hill and soon passed the Caer Seion hill fort then on up and over the hill.  Socs was doing my head in with her ball on a rope, constantly wanting me to throw it.  I don't know where that dog gets her energy from maybe it should be me eating the dog biscuits?  ;D   I had an idea, if I threw her ball down the path she'd have to run back up the hill and that in turn would make her tired.  So that's exactly what I did.  It was a good plan until the ball bounced off a rock and landed in the gorse  :roll:  She stood at the bottom of the hill looking at me, then into the gorse and back at me.  So guilt ridden, back down the hill I went to fetch her ball from the gorse. It served me right but with my ankles stabbed to bits, I managed to get it in the end.
I think this is one of the sites where people learn to rock climb.  It's not that high but it's very steep (pic 1)  As we passed over the top I noticed some buildings on the side of the mountain.  They looked similar to the quarry buildings over in Pen but I don't know what they were for maybe someone on the forum will.(pic 2/3)   as I looked down from here I could see what looked like old farm buildings and an old reservoir.  I had to go down there. (pic 4)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »
yes your right Trojan theres a hellova difference.  I don't think they still blast up there today certainly not on the scale they did when I was a kid. We could hear them blasting at play time in Pencae.