Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822009 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2011, 10:11:24 pm »
GREAT pictures Andy ...   By the way, did you see The One Show on BBC tonight? 

They had a tame starling (called Arnie interestingly) ... and a lot of tame starling friends.

If you didn't see it,  look it up on BBC iPlayer .... you will LOVE it.

I've just watched it on iplayer and I thought where are the birds? then I realised I was watching last nights progamme  :rage:  _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »
Sorry mostly today I'm doing Dim  ???  I understand now, you mean the leaves don't belong to the flowers.........got it
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

brumbob

« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »
I really must take a walk up the Vardre next time I'm up that way, is All Saints Church car park the best place to access it?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:27 pm »
Yes the path starts at the car park.  It's a nice walk Bob and you can see for miles once at the top.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2011, 06:12:25 am »
Yes the path starts at the car park.  It's a nice walk Bob and you can see for miles once at the top.

How do you know what Bob's eyesight is like Pen D?  ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »
Being the enlightened employer that I am, I gave myself the day off today and The Festers set off round to Anglesey for a days exploring.

We kind of got a bit lost, but Red Wharf Bay sounded nice so we dropped by for a walk around.
Anyway, its rubbish, and there is nothing to do or see and you can't actually walk anywhere...

So, we headed through Beaumaris to Penmon,  which I have seen described on this thread before.
We parked up near the sea, and I dragged my arthritic knees up to the priory, and St Seriols church.
I took pictures inside of the 10th century crosses, and the stained glass windows etc... and lit a candle for Aunt who is gravely ill at the moment.
I won't bother to post the pictures (unless asked) because either Dave or Hugo posted far superior ones a few weeks ago.

Feeling brave, and after consulting my knees, we headed further up the road, and kept walking until we encountered Puffin Island lighthouse.
We had a little stroll around, took a few pictures... then headed back to the car.

Now, all this walking is OK, but you have to plan things better than we did.  You see there were no cafes or suchlike open, and therefore nowhere dignified to take a leak.
So, we drove into Beaumaris, did the necessary and then sat on the pier to polish off the flask and the sandwiches.

Any more walking will need to be better planned, or I must have a colostomy bag fitted.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
Was the Red Boat Cafe not open?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »
Glad that you finally made it to Penmon Fester, it's quite tranquil there especially by  St Seiriol's well.  Hope that the candle helps with your concern for your Aunt.
I'd like to see your photos as it's an area I like very much.
I know exactly how you feel about nowhere dignified to take a leak as I was walking along the disused railway track in Dyserth on Tuesday with a retirement group and that was the same. Only a quick dash into a pub saved my blushes.    I just couldn't face walking past Dyserth waterfalls as that would have finished me off!!   

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »
Beaumaris is a lovely place.  Excellent gift shops.  Did you go in the Old Gaol.  That is well worth a look.  A few years ago  you would get a pair of head phones and a tape recorder which enabled you to have a guided tour.  We went last year and were told they no longer supplied them.  A girl who worked there was very informed and explained everything we wanted to know.  I notice that she was the only one walking round and so in the height of the summer I doubt she's have chance to talk.
We used to go Penmon as kids, school trips to the lighthouse. Picnics with the family.  I remember it as being really windy there too.  Newborough beach is nice, have you been there?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2011, 11:30:37 pm »
Today Socs and I went on the bus over to Penmaenmawr.  We were off to meet Ali Gugs one of my closest friends and go up the mountain to see if we could find the world war II plane crash site.  
We decided to begin our walk at Plas Mawr once a large hall within landscaped gardens, home of the Darbyshire family.  The house was demolished and the once landscaped gardens left to overgrow when the last of the family left.  Now all that remains are the footings which present landscapers have preserved.  (pic 1)  These woods have been, as much as possible  kept in their original state.  All the old pathways though over grown when I was a kid remain.
Darby's is a fantastic place.  We used to play in these woods 30yrs ago.  Making dens and looking for the hidden cellar said to be full of wine.  We used to climb the Heaven tree (pic 2) the most beautiful tree I've ever seen.  From certain vantage points it looks like an angel with her body leaning into the wind. (Titanic style) My god I sound like a tree hugger  :o   
Then there's the umbrella.  We used to clamber up on top of this and another 2 kids would turn it round it only ever went really slowly.  As kids we used to camp out in Darby's and at night we'd climb on the huge metal umbrella and look at the stars. (pic 3)  We were now heading out of the Plas Mawr park passed the carved Stone Hand on the right,(pic 4) upwards to the Penmaenan woods.  I threw another pic of the Heaven Tree at the bottom, it looks straight out of a painting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:34:38 pm by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2011, 12:04:23 am »
As we walked up beside the little stream we soon entered Penmaenan woods.  There was the old fallen tree trunk we used to sit on.  Another 30 years had passed and there it was still holding out at the bottom of the woods (pic 4)
This is "Our Nains Chair" (pic 1) so called because?.................well because you have a "Grandmothers Chair" and I hate missing out so we in Pen now have a welsh "Nains Chair."  I'm happy with that, it was my walk, I'm telling the story: The End.  
Further up we passed the old Quarry gate. No longer in use.  (pic 2) We headed towards a tree that holds a very special memory for me.  Y'see it's where when I was 8, I married Kevin Roberts.  We stood under the bow of the tree and Josephine Jones said the words and married us. (pic 3)  Our friends threw fox gloves as confetti.  Happy memories.  Kev and I still laugh about it now. Out of the woods heading up to the old  quarry and the site of the 1901 Old Mill as we used to call it.

Got a little muddled with the pics sorry.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:08:37 am by Pendragon »

brumbob

« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:05 am »
Newborough beach is nice, have you been there?
It's a lovely walk around Llanddwyn Island  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2011, 01:04:39 am »
First of all I want to show you "chipping Mountain" (pic 1) I don't know if you can appreciate the steepness and height of this hill.  As kids we would collect corrugated tin sheeting and curl up the front of it, hold on, get yer mate on the back and down you would hurtle with only the cast iron gate or the fence at the bottom to bring you to an abrupt, sometimes painful halt.  Then we'd leg it back to the top and take it turns to go again. I would never risk it now!  Even If I did I'd only get the one chance as I wouldn't be able to run back up  the chipping mountain without suffering a cardiac arrest.
The Red Mill so named for its red brick structure is situated at the lower part of the quarry  (pic 2) These buildings were always dangerous and we didn't venture in them very often.  The sheds across to the right were our haunts.
As you head on the old path round toward Llanfair, if you look up you can see the remains of ancient walls and pathways  (pic3) belonging to the Briton Fortress of Braich Y Dinas (the largest of it kind in Britain at the time) I am going to write about this fortress in full when I get chance. Its fascinating you can see as you walk the remains of buildings.  A fantastic view over Penmaenmawr from the top of the path. (pic 4) It's said that Llewelyn and his men made their final stand amongst the ruins of the fortress and tried to build it up again at one time. This has never been proved though. You know it's funny but I always remember the story of Helygs Castle and how it fell into the sea.  It must have seemed like that to the people living here,(pic 5)  you can see in the sea below huge stones that look like they've fallen down the mountain and into the sea.  We went upward again onto the old quarry truck tracks.  By now we were tired.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:09:46 am by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:13 am »
This is the huge Alter stone.  It looks like its been purposely cut from the rock. (pic 1) You can actually lie on the stone and its spookily flat.  It was also too far off the path to get a closer look today.  We managed to climb and I mean climb, clinging to the heather as we took one small step after another up to the higher level and towards another large winch structure (pic 2) as you walk under the huge wooden hoist you enter a clearing which is absolutely breathe taking.  The huge rock face an expanse of multi coloured solid jagged rock (pic 3)  It was on this level I expected to see the plane but it wasn't to be found.  I did however find a distinctive clearing amongst the thick heather where I remember the plane situated (pic 4)  By this time we'd walked 3 miles up hill.  How do I know because I've got an app on my phone and it tracks your position by GPS.  It was now dawning on us that if we didn't go up yet another level we'd have to decent down the way we came up and that was out of the question (pic5)  So after a short "catch our breathe" rest we began to climb again................  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:36:40 am by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:10 am »
This little hut was half way up the climb to the next point (pic1)  I had to laugh when Ali reached there before me and stuck his head out of the window, silly grin on his face and shouted in a stupid voice "cup of teeee"  In fact I was laughing so much I couldn't start climbing again.  he's funny as you like. Love him to bits.  
At the top there was still more old sheds I took a photo from the window over Llanfair towards the sea.  Now this photo proves this is Gods country (pic 2)
This is interesting as this tunnel looks like it has been cut out from the rock hundreds of years ago (pic 3) but look how the stones have been shaped round the entrance.  It was a dull day and so my pics are not as clear as I had hoped (Dave I'll drag you up there on day, you'll do these sights justice)
To our utter despair Ali and I realised once again we had to walk up further again but as we turned the corner for the final last leg of our by now nearly 4 mile trek,  though thankfully not as the Romans did.  
We came to a clearing and there were the wild ponies in what I can only describe as one of the most perfect settings I've ever witnessed. (pic 4)  Counting around 8 ponies gathered on a small grass clearing with a small pond with reeds in it. Perfect and well worth the climb.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:07:48 am by Pendragon »