Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822019 times)

brumbob

Re: Walking
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »
you never said Angie, did you walk back?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »
where on earth did you find that piccy of me and 'er indoors  Shocked

Mingers.com  _))*
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:55:06 pm by Pendragon »
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:13 pm »
Yes I walked back Bob.  No idea how far it was.  Took me over 3 hrs mind.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
Yesterday we had another walk to the summit of the Little Orme, it's not too hard to get up there and the views are great!

looking towards Rhos on Sea

we saw and heard this Raven

near the summit on these rocks is a small plaque

and the best view of all
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
Some good pics, and a nice day for a walk up there.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »
GREAT pictures Andy ...   By the way, did you see The One Show on BBC tonight? 

They had a tame starling (called Arnie interestingly) ... and a lot of tame starling friends.

If you didn't see it,  look it up on BBC iPlayer .... you will LOVE it.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:00 pm »
I started reading a book last night called "Famous Welsh Battles" by Philip Warner.  I read about Llewelyn ap Iorwerth and how he had rebuilt Deganwy castle in 1213 after it had been destroyed as part of the "scorched earth policy" due to threats from King John.  Apparently it 's said that Llewelyn imprisoned one of his sons in the tower at Deganwy.  When Llewelyn died in 1240, the English were advancing and arrived in 1245 expecting to conquer the castle once again, however Llewelyns sons were not as brave as their father and in anticipation of the English army and their imminent defeat they had demolished the castle.  The English on arrival in Deganwy were forced to shiver in tents.
The English, under the reign of Henry III rebuilt the castle between 1245/54 but it was never completed.
The Welsh Prince Llewelyn ap Gryffydd (ap means son of) was growing in popularity and in 1263 he recaptured the castle and consequently demolished it again.  These are the ruins visible today.  It is also said that the stones were plundered and used in the construction of Conwy Castle.
I have never been up there before.  To be honest I didn't think there was much to see but my visit was made all the more interesting having read the story.  I took photos of the gatehouse, remains of the towers and the formidable front elevation over the rock and sheer cliff face.  It must have been one hellova sight to behold for an invading army especially if they were as knackered as I was once they got up there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:31:02 pm by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:40 pm »
Here are some random photos taken today.  The first is All Saints Church in Deganwy.  I think this is a beautiful church.  The church was built as a memorial church by Lady Augusta Mostyn designed by John Douglas of Chester with a fantastic view of the Conwy estuary.
The second is a small cave I found down a pit near the Castle.  Probably used by sheep.  Looks too uniform to be natural though.  Could have been the Castle fridge maybe.
The third is a hole I discovered in the ruined wall.  It's unusual because it seems to be there on purpose.  Notice the white cement clumps at the back, the same cement used for the walls.  I'm no Tony Robinson but I wonder if it was an ancient safe.  Imagine the enemy rising over the hill, you need to hide the valuables and gold, where better than to hide them in one of the walls then block up the void with stones.  No swag in there today I'm afraid.  :o
The fourth is some wild flowers I noticed poking up from the flattened ferns.  I have not a clue when it comes to their proper names as I'm no Percy Thrower either I'm afraid.  Nemesis you'll know.  Y'know there's something really satisfying about walking on ferns, it's like the crunching sound of hundreds of crisp packets under your feet.  I was careful not to trample the wild flowers I promise  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:17:53 pm by Pendragon »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2011, 08:32:56 pm »
The pit may well be an ''oubliette'' .... which translates roughly from ancient French as 'Forgotten'

It was basically a deep, narrow pit (with an iron grill over the top) where they would throw prisoners which they couldn't be bothered releasing, nor had they decided to sentence them.
So, they chucked you down a hole ... and you were ''forgotten''
Basically you were left to starve to death in abject misery.   (A bit like Wetherspoons in Rhyl on a rainy day)

Most Oubliettes were inside castle walls though.   So maybe not.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2011, 08:36:32 pm »
Looking at the terrain and the location of the towers Fester, the pit was more than likely within the walls.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »
There's a pit at Deganwy Castle, that was once the castle dungeon.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
The flowers look like crocus and I think that most of the leaves are unrelated to the flowers.

Looking at the pic again you can see 3 crocus leaves, they are the long thin ones with a stripe.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »
What do you mean by "unrelated to the flowers?"  I don't understand.I know naff all about flowers I'm afraid.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »
there are two plants, one the crocus with the flower and the thin striped leaves and the other with fatter leaves is a totally unrelated plant
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »
Think Stan means that the leaves don't look to be joined to the flower stems because of the ground cover plants. They look like crocus to me too, the leaves are striped as well.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.