Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821161 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Walking
« Reply #2265 on: September 16, 2021, 08:21:32 pm »
Heartbreaking, the major reason why we left, I know it was meant to be shared, but by people who appreciated it.

Planning application notice has been posted at Geirionydd that they intend making a stretch of road a no stopping zone other than for essential dropping off/picking up between  Ist of April to the 30th of September.
Good!
Meanwhile the number of people up there had dropped off dramatically today. Lots of room in the car park but still one van ignoring the parking signs and parked at the bottom end of the lake.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2266 on: October 05, 2021, 09:56:56 am »
Two stories this morning...........

'We lay flat, clung to rocks but 'tornado' winds took our gear - we had to turn back or one of us would die on Snowdon'
A group of climbers from London had a lucky escape after being battered by “tornado-strength” winds on the mountain

“We just watched things like gloves, flasks and walking sticks fly around in the air above us,” said Londoner Joey Edworthy, 29.
“It was like being in one those tornados you see in America.

“We made it back down but looking back we had a very lucky escape.”

After gale force winds tore across Snowdonia at the weekend, Joey and a number of experienced climbers took to social media to
highlight the folly of climbing mountains without the proper gear.

One said he had seen some “outrageously ill-prepared walkers” on the mountain.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/we-lay-flat-clung-rocks-21761487?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

'Mad' Snowdonia wild camping pitch appears just yards from railway track
The appearance of the tent beside the Llanberis Lake Railway has raised some eyebrows
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mad-snowdonia-wild-camping-pitch-21756817?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2267 on: October 05, 2021, 10:06:56 am »
It's been clear for several days, now, this was never going to be a safe time to climb any of our mountains.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2268 on: November 12, 2021, 11:07:15 am »
On Wednesday Tellytubby took me on a nice circular walk near where he lives.
The walk started in Tyn y Morfa and crossed over the sand dunes onto a long sandy beach.    There we turned right and headed towards Talacre passing the lighthouse en route.     In Talacre we then took the coastal path back to Tyn Y Morfa.     However before we started the walk he took me to the Big Pool Wood and gave me a conducted tour of the Nature Reserve where he has been working as a volunteer along with  others.    We sat for a while in a well built hide and watched the numerous birds feeding in the pool.   The volunteers have built some new boardwalks and cleared some of the reeds and it is quite heavy work for them all.     The boat in the photo has to be baled out first and then they go in it into the pool and pull the reeds out by hand as no machinery is allowed into the pool.    Their efforts have resulted in many species of birds coming to the reserve and Tellytubby has been able to take some excellent photos of them, especially the elusive Kingfisher that lives there.   Another volunteer who deserves a mention is a gentleman called Roger who has paid for a number of hides and not only that,  he has built and erected them himself
I could have stayed there all day but we had to move on and start the walk.
We crossed over the unmanned level crossing and after going through the holiday camp we then crossed over the sand dunes on a very long boardwalk until we came to the beach.    It's a very long sandy beach and we had it all to ourselves as the tourist season has finished.   We turned right and headed towards Talacre and it wasn't long before the lighthouse came into view.  The sandhills on our right hand side were quite high but one noticeable thing was that the tide had reached them and  some erosion was happening.
When we reached Talacre we headed for the coastal path to Ffynnongroyw and had our refreshments on a bench overlooking the sea marsh.    We were lucky and saw a murmuration of Starlings, thousands of the little birds flying all around us.
The coastal path back to our car was wide and had a good flat surface so it was ideal for walkers and cyclists alike.  There is a lot of conservation work going on in that area and is home to the rare Natterjack Toads.   At the end of the path we walked through a large caravan site, neat and very well maintained but deserted as the tourist season had finished.    We then  crossed over the railway lines and headed back to our car and then back home.
It was a very nice walk with plenty to see but well done to Tellytubby and all the other volunteers who are prepared to give up their time and effort so that we can all benefit from the work that they continue to do

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2269 on: November 12, 2021, 11:12:41 am »
Tyn Y Morfa to Talacre walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2270 on: November 22, 2021, 09:35:24 am »
On  Saturday Tellytubby, old Uncle Albert and I drove to Llyn Geirionydd for a walk in that area and we parked in the car park by the picnic tables and toilets.
We wanted to see the Klondyke Mill so we walked along the road to the northern end of the lake then crossed over the dam and walked past the monument to Taliesin
The road was a former tramway that transported the ore from the Pandora lead mine to a point above the Klondike Mill where it was then transported downhill on pylons to the Mill
When we crossed over the stile by the wall we then turned downhill and walked through  delightful woodland until we came to the impressive ruins of the Klondike Mill.     When it was working,   the mill would have had a bridge over the river to the mine but now all there is to get across the river is a wooden plank which is quite creaky.  However it didn't stop Tellytubby and I from going over and having a look into the mine.
In the 1920's the mill achieved noteriety as the scene of an elaborate money making scam, when investors were conned into thinking that the mine was rich in silver.    In fact the mine owner had got the workers to paint something on the walls and ceiling of the mine that would make it look that it was rich in silver ore
After having had a good look around we had our refreshments by the side of the river and had some good old banter between the three of us.     In these difficult times it's just nice to get out with friends and have a walk    After the refreshments we headed back to the lake but for the first time ever we took the path on the eastern side of the lake.     It's not the best path we have come across as there were tree roots everywhere and in wet conditions they would be very slippy so I'm sure that next time we'll stick to walking on the road.  The path did get better towards the southern end of the lake and we were rewarded with sunshine and glorious views down the lake.  It wasn't far to the car park from there so we headed back to our car and then drove home after having had a nice day out
I've attached a link about the mill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondyke_mill

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2271 on: November 22, 2021, 09:38:43 am »
Llyn Geirionydd to the Klondike Mill walk

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2272 on: November 22, 2021, 10:52:11 am »
Another interesting travelogue.... you mentioned "After the refreshments we headed back to the lake but for the first time ever we took the path on the eastern side of the lake." it's strange it got worse, after they stripped some trees from the shore line area, it used to be a very pleasant walk.  (perhaps being younger helped)

My excuse for not getting your question sooner, I think I visited it once over 20 years ago, and I knew the Pandora mine area better.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2273 on: November 22, 2021, 01:00:37 pm »
I meant the western side Steve, the opposite side to the road.      From the dam to the small cove the root system was everywhere and at the cove we had to scramble up a small outcrop and not long afterwards the green path was quite good,

I'll let you off making me wait for the answer but I don't think that a lot of people make the effort to see the buildings which is a shame in some ways.

Offline SteveH

Re: Walking..........Conwy
« Reply #2274 on: December 02, 2021, 03:26:05 pm »
RESIDENTS have been urged not to risk visiting popular beauty spots across Conwy due to ongoing risks caused by Storm Arwen.

Conwy County Borough Council said it is carrying out surveys at nature reserves and gardens across the county after gale-force winds last Friday toppled a number of trees.

This includes Happy Valley in Llandudno, where the council has put barriers and signs in place to warn residents of the risk of falling branches.

“Please stay away from woodland nature reserves while we do safety checks after Storm Arwen,” the council said,

“There’s a risk from falling branches and damaged trees.

“Happy Valley, Llandudno is closed: we’ll be doing drone surveys and removing trees from the slopes to make the area safe.

“Do not move barriers or signs – they are there for everyone’s safety.”

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2275 on: December 22, 2021, 11:47:59 am »
Yesterday,  I fancied a short circular walk on the Great Orme, as far as the Copper Mines by the half way tram station so I drove to the West Shore to start the walk.  Before I  started the walk however I had a look at the Penmorfa Adit in Abbey Place.   The adit was built to drain the water from the Copper mines and it is about half a mile long.  The tunnel was on a slight incline and took 8 years to complete with 12 miners working day and night to do the work
Of the cottages built in the late 1700's for the Copper Miners only  Glan Y Don still remains and it stands at the head of the cul du sac,
After looking around I followed the Invalid's path and then huffed and puffed my way up the zig zag path and walked along Tyn Y Coed Road until I came to a steep flight of steps that took me to St Beuno's Road.
The first building you come across is the converted Salem Chapel and directly opposite, the house previously called Baron Hill has been converted into two properties.   One is called Ty Mawr and the other has the unfortunate name of Ty Bach.    Going down the road and past the sharp bend you come across St Beuno's Church, now converted into a nice looking private residence.   Turning left into Cromlech Road at the far end on the left is another building which has also been converted into a house and it must have been another place of worship or even a school but I'm not sure of its origin.
I then crossed over the stile and had a look at the Cromlech and the many craters of former mines that are in the corner of the field.   The Penmorfa adit runs underneath those craters.
I then retraced my steps and continued going down St Beuno's Road but couldn't resist looking at the view from that house that can be seen from anywhere in Llandudno, what a stunning location!
Then it was downhill following the tram tracks until I came to the King's Head and then I followed Cwlach Street and up to Haulfre Gardens and back to my car.
If anyone is interested in the Great Orme then I would recommend them to have a look at the Great Orme Exploration Society website it's absolutely incredible viewing

https://www.goes.org.uk/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2276 on: December 22, 2021, 11:52:37 am »
West Shore to the Copper Mine walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2277 on: December 22, 2021, 11:56:33 am »
West Shore to the Copper Mine walk

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2278 on: December 22, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »
Most enjoyable, I'm going for a sit down and a cup of tea. .............. $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2279 on: December 24, 2021, 10:03:28 am »
Cloud inversion creates otherworldly perspectives of North Wales

Some great photos here  ............ https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/gallery/cloud-inversion-creates-otherworldly-perspectives-22550928?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4