Author Topic: Walking  (Read 836550 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #2160 on: July 09, 2020, 10:29:52 am »
This seemed a bit selfish, and hardly in keeping with sticking together for the safety of all, surprised Ogwen MR did not have more to say.

Slow Snowdonia walkers left behind by group ended up having to be rescued
They got lost on a 3,000ft peak in poor weather and were led to safety by the Ogwen Valley mountain rescue teams

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/slow-snowdonia-walkers-left-behind-18566266

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2161 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:26 am »
It's not just selfish Steve it's stupid .      Thankfully their stupidity has not resulted in a fatal accident as the rocks on Tryfan are slippy and it's one place I would avoid in wet or windy conditions.
As it is the actions of that leading group has resulted in the Mountain Rescue team being called out when it could have been so easily avoided

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2162 on: July 09, 2020, 11:44:40 am »
Yep.  Wonder if the leader (if there was one) had ever heard about going at the pace of the slowest member?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2163 on: July 11, 2020, 10:58:12 am »
Not sure best thread for this subject, but seems most appropriate......

All the reopened National Trust places that you can now visit in North Wales
As lockdown restrictions ease, the trust has reopened these gardens and parklands in the region.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/reopened-national-trust-places-you-18561369

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2164 on: July 18, 2020, 03:56:24 pm »
I just can't understand why certain people go to beautiful areas and then spoil it by leaving litter and things all over the place but I was particularly annoyed when Tellytubby sent me an e-mail showing the destruction vandals had caused in an area we had visited last year.
I've attached some photos so that people can see what it was like inside this wooden building before those mindless morons visited the place

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/building-housing-historic-explosives-site-18602393

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2165 on: July 18, 2020, 04:04:11 pm »
I saw that article and thought I remembered seeing it in one of your quizzes, but could not find the old post, vandalism is a pet hate of mine, morons ........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2166 on: July 18, 2020, 05:05:36 pm »
It was July 2019 when we visited that place and it is in a quiet but beautiful setting so I'm pleased that we saw it before those vandals trashed the place
What pleasure the idiots got from that mindless act is beyond me.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2167 on: July 25, 2020, 01:00:21 pm »
Here are a few photos of the Pembrokeshire coast path walk we did around the Angle peninsular to Freshwater West.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2168 on: July 25, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »
Recently stayed in Pembroke and they have made two beautiful short walks around the mill pond on one side and around the castle on the other side.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2169 on: July 25, 2020, 06:30:08 pm »
Lovely photos Hollins from a beautiful part of our country and it's good to hear that you are getting out and about now.     Those holiday photos of yours have been missed since lockdown

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2170 on: July 28, 2020, 11:02:28 am »
A friend sitting in her car, looking at a map, deciding which walk to take, when a car pulled up next to her, two ladies dressed for walking

got out, one went and opened the rear doors, and exclaimed ... XXXX ! ..we've forgotten the  dog !        :-[                $booboo$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2171 on: August 13, 2020, 03:41:28 pm »
Yesterday,  I met Tellytubby in Cwm Road Dyserth for a short walk to Mynydd Y Cwm.       It was just nice to get out into the countryside once more as with the Coronavirus and medical procedures we haven't been able to get about very often.   Rhuddlan who would normally be in the Caymen Islands or some other tropical place at this time of the year is now shielding and old Uncle Albert spends most of his time on the golf course now 
Anyway Tellytubby and I set off on the footpath through a nice woodland area just below Moel Hiraddug and then crossed a lane onto open farmland that took us into the village of Cwm.
The first thing we saw was the Blue Lion pub where in the 1970's we would spend many happy hours  and our car treasure hunts always landed there where we were well looked after by the host, the late Geoff Copeland.
We crossed over and had a look around the Churchyard and the graves there and one particular one was sad as it was of my neighbours when I lived in Dyserth many years ago.
After leaving the Church  we followed the lane uphill and took the footpath through the woods to the forestry track where we turned up another footpath that took us to the top of Mynydd Y Cwm and then we saw the plaque commemorating the deaths of the four airmen who tragically lost their lives at this spot in 1947.     The wreckage of the disaster has been removed from the site but the investigators never found the altimeter that may have shed light on why the crash happened.
We stopped there long enough to pay our respects and headed downhill to Cwm Road where we found a bench in a shaded  spot and had our refreshments while enjoying lovely views over the Vale of Clwyd.   
After a while we went past Pentre Cwm a beautiful restored Grade II listed building,   I lived in the area before the restoration in 1988 and can appreciate how sympathetically the restoration has been carried out.  Our cars were parked a little further down the road so we soon reached them after having had a nice walk and catch up.   A bonus was the weather as the forecast all day was for lightning but  it was just hot and humid with a heat haze over the valley.
I also had a second bonus when I stopped at the Water Garden Nursery in Kinmel Bay on my way home.    I was quite parched after the walk so two very large scoops of Amaretto and Black Cherry ice cream at £2.50 would go down well, but when I came to pay the young lady said that'll be £1.25 is that ok?   “ That'll do nicely thanks” I said and at that price I was tempted to have another one but  resisted the temptation

https://dyserth.com/halifax.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2172 on: August 13, 2020, 03:46:24 pm »
Dyserth to Mynydd Y Cwm walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2173 on: August 16, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »
The only comment I can make in print is thank goodness no one was seriously injured and that no one from the Mountain Rescue team was hurt in going out to help these idiots

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53797846

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2174 on: August 16, 2020, 05:49:02 pm »
The only comment I can make in print is thank goodness no one was seriously injured and that no one from the Mountain Rescue team was hurt in going out to help these idiots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53797846

I do not know how we get through to (inexperienced visitors) ! !  I hope they left a big donation............ &shake&