Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821110 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2145 on: April 29, 2020, 07:35:39 am »
Good to see you are getting out locally in this good weather, and staying off the mountains. So far I think the Ochils team are the only ones with a call out in Scotland since the lockdown.

Interesting to see what is involved for teams when attending a call out. It will be the same or similar for Welsh teams.

https://www.scottishmountainrescue.org/call-outs-post-covi.../

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2146 on: April 29, 2020, 11:52:54 am »
Hi Mull,  it was good to get out on Monday and do a longer walk and in the time I was out I only saw about 6 people and they were in the village of Llanelian and keeping well apart.
I suppose you are keeping up to date with some of the news from N Wales and know that the mountains are off limits to walkers now but try telling that to the idiots from London and other places who venture up here.
Are the hills and mountains of Scotland off limits to walkers too?      Even in the days when people were allowed to walk up mountains you would still get the irresponsible morons who would chance going up the mountains ill prepared and then coming unstuck and having to call out the Mountain Rescue teams.      You were one of those volunteers who would go out in all weathers to do a search and rescue act and put your own life in peril and all mountain lovers appreciate the work that you do.      I know that your number 1 priority is to save lives but it must be so annoying to be called out because someone has acted in an irresponsible manner and I hope those sort got a ticking off from someone

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2147 on: May 03, 2020, 04:05:33 pm »
Paramedics and a mountain rescue team were alerted after a woman injured her leg during a walk.               ref DP

The woman, who has not been named, was taking her two dogs for a walk on the hillside just south of the Sychnant Pass between Conwy and Penmaenmawr on Saturday afternoon, The alarm was raised shortly after 2.30pm.

An Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue team spoksman said: "The casualty, a local nurse, had been walking her two dogs as per government guidelines when the dogs tripped her up with their leads leading to a suspected fracture of her lower leg.

"Following guidance, team members donned PPE before treating the casualty and placing her in a stretcher for a short carry to the roadside and handover to the Welsh Ambulance Service."

"This accident shows that anyone can have a bad day and the team wish the casualty a speedy recovery and return to work."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2148 on: May 25, 2020, 06:20:34 pm »
Hugo, I know you like Portmeirion, so I thought you might like this photo collection during lockdown.

Portmeirion as you've never seen it before as it's left deserted for the first time in almost a century
An eerie silence has fallen on the village for the first time in its long and colourful history.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/portmeirion-youve-never-seen-before-18299327

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2149 on: May 25, 2020, 07:10:14 pm »
Thanks for posting that link Steve, you can see what a special place it is so it's sad not to see people enjoying the place especially with the lovely weather we have been having.
The first photo is incredible with the Cnicht in the background.   We stayed in a village room there that had a double aspect lounge with a view on to the estuary and the other on to the centre of the village
As soon as circumstances permit I'd like to go back to have lunch at Castell Deudraeth followed by a stroll around Portmeirion       $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2150 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:43 am »
I found this in my photo folder, not sure if it has been posted already.............

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2151 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:20 am »
I had a walk on the Great Orme yesterday and started from the West Shore.     I followed a sort of path just above the cave in the first photo and when I was above Ogof Arth I realised that I needed to do some scrambling to get to the top but it was worth it because there were hundreds of the small blue Butterflies that are native to the Orme all around me.      Once up on the top I followed the sheep track to Ffynnon Gogarth and noticed dozens of Badger Setts just off the path.   There was no water flowing from the Gogarth Tunnel as it was as dry as a bone but Ffynnon Gogarth was flowing freely.
It's a strange phenomenon but the well is near the top of the Orme and there has hardly been any rain in the last two months, so where does all the water come from?
With the question unanswered  I carried on uphill and then down to the Copper Mines and went in to Maes Y Facell Nature Reserve a place I hadn't been to before and as I was walking up the hillside I wished that I had brought my map " Secrets of the Great Orme" with me as you can see the evidence of history all around.    Carrying on to the top I came across a small herd of young goats with one of them standing out from the others, how did that brown Goat get in the herd.
Anyway this Nature Reserve is rich in flowers but not being satisfied with eating all Nemesis and Fester's plants these Goats were busy devouring anything that was growing there so I should imagine there wouldn't be many flowers there by the Summer
I went out of the Reserve by Cyll Terrace and made my way down to Tyn Y Coed Road and went down the zig zag path back to my car on the West Shore.       It was a nice short walk but it was good to get back on the Orme again

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2152 on: June 10, 2020, 09:30:00 am »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2153 on: June 10, 2020, 10:02:40 am »
Glad to see that you are back walking on the Orme Hugo.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2154 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:25 am »
It was nice to be back there Nemesis but it was a bit eerie, so quiet with no one about.   No need to worry about social distancing there as the first person I saw was a runner high above me on another sheep track and she was a 100 yards away until she shot off in the distance

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2155 on: June 10, 2020, 02:38:57 pm »
Fester,  I remember you saying on here that you wanted to visit parts of the Great Orme that you haven't seen before and that made me think of the map " Secrets of the Great Orme"
I forgot to take my map along with me yesterday so it was a shame as I could have done with it to see various things along the way
I'm not sure if you have one but I think that you'd find it useful on your walks on the Orme, I'm not sure either if the map is still available or where you could get it from

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2156 on: June 10, 2020, 03:22:59 pm »
I have both versions, they brought a new one out and they are quite different. Even though I am unlikely to go exploring these days, I can spend time looking at them, they are very interesting. They don't seem to be available on the net, but the TIC might have them when they re-open.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2157 on: June 10, 2020, 03:38:32 pm »
There is an interesting thread started  October 18, 2010, by DaveR  on the forum   
Secrets of the Great Orme

http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,215.msg3610.html#msg3610

and a link to a video the great Orme exploration   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSaUBx-GdE#

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2158 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:54 pm »
OMG That was a friend of ours and he got some grumbles for trespass! The map, when I re-read the thread was available from the R&BT.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2159 on: July 08, 2020, 11:09:19 am »
Old Uncle Albert was bringing his car in for a service in Llandudno so it was the first time we have had for meeting up since January.    Telltubby and I drove separately to meet him at the garage behind Venue Cymru.
I had planned a route that the three of us hadn't done together before, but the downside was the weather which was awful and we had to abandon it by the half way Tram Station.
Very briefly we went up Happy Valley, stopping at Elephant's Cave before continuing past the Ski Lodge onto the headland.    We then walked past the Pink Farm and the White Farm before seeking refuge in the half way Tram Station.
It was driving rain and very windy but apart from that it was misty and visibility was under 100 yards.     There were just the three of us there surrounded by tons of Goat droppings which must have been the after effects of those well fed Goats who descended into town weeks ago.
Luckily the wind dispersed any smell from the area and we only stayed there until the rain ceased, then it was downhill following the tram lines and then back on to the prom where we had our refreshments in a shelter.
You win some, you lose some but at least we were together and able to have a catch up in these strange times