Author Topic: Walking  (Read 822003 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »
It was a cold night so presumably people had stayed where it was warm ie at home or in their hotels etc.

Next time you are walking by on a Friday night why not pop in and up the stairs to see how we actually do ring them. You and anyone else are welcome to come and see - who knows, you might be inspired to have a go!

Stan

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:10 am »
Yesterday, my friend and I decided to have a coastal walk on Anglesey and drove to Trearddur Bay for a circular walk to Rhoscolyn.  We walked through the caravan park and along the path following the coast, the conditions underfoot were quite wet and we hadn't gone far before a big black cloud came over from Holyhead but we were prepared for all conditions and got our waterproofs out. The hail and rain didn't last long and after that it became very warm.  We passed Bwa Gwyn (White Arch) and saw a lot of canoeists enjoying the choppy seas and there were dozens of Oystercatchers standing on the wet grass nearby. A bit further on and we came to Bwa Du  (Black Arch) and when I asked my friend jokingly to pose for a photo on top of the natural sea arch his comments were unprintable!
About 100 yards after turning left at Rhoscolyn Head we came across St Gwenfaen's well which has stone steps,corner seats and may originally have been roofed. Apparently in the Middle Ages it was a site for pilgrimages and the water from the well was believed to have the power to cure mental illness. (should have tried some myself to see if it works)
From there we headed to the disused Coastguard Lookout where we enjoyed our sandwiches and coffee and sat there looking at the beautiful coastline and magnificent snow covered mountains. We continued on to Porth Wen walking past some idyllically situated property and then walked along the narrow lane past the White Eagle Hotel only stopping there to look at it's fantastic menu . We took the lane past the church and made our way back to the start over open countryside and along the way we saw many rabbits running about in the Autumn Sun.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Trearddur Bay to Rhoscolyn Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2010, 11:54:05 am »
Trearddur Bay to Rhoscolyn Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2010, 05:12:16 pm »
This is not a walking video but more of a climbing video 

Would you do this for a living - I don't think so,  nor me!!!. Just wait for the cartoon intro to finish, then hold on to your seat!

http://www.liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2010, 08:37:53 am »
What they don't really show, there, are the two main dangers involved with climbing those towers.  One is radiation from the various microwave dishes, but the second is the rather alarming swaying that occurs as you near the top.  The towers themselves are not substantial and are designed to sway, but they don't feel safe when you're atop one - even a much smaller one.  And when you look down, the human propensity for making any height seem lethal really kicks in, and the diminishing size of the tower below you makes it feel as though you're standing on a needle.  Not nice...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:22 am »
For my sins, I have been involved with the building crane and access equipment business for a lot of my career.  I have had the pleasure of going up very high tower cranes and also radio masts.   The tower cranes one had to climb but the radio masts had a small petrol powered passenger hoist operating on a rack and pinion basis.  These had been adapted from "raise climbers" used in the mining industry and supplied by the Swedish company for whom I worked.  Fantastic experience in all instances but certainly not for the faint hearted or those suffering from vertigo!    D)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2010, 10:40:27 am »
We were due to do one of the Carl Rogers Walks in Betws Y Coed today followed by a meal in one of the hotels but at 7.45am I got the first phone call.  A friend in Anglesey phoned to say that the snow was horrendous, about 5 inches deep but another who lived in the Caernarfon area said that it was even worse there and a lorry had already jack- knifed on the main road.
It wasn't too bad here about half an inch but we called it off as there is always another day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »
Yesterday a friend and I decided to do the Benllech Circular walk on Anglesey. We had never been on it before but it was described as a very gentle 5.5 miles country walk along newly opened footpaths around Cors Goch Nature Reserve.
Although we had the map and directions, I must admit that the marker postings were extremely poor and the paths were not readily visible and in addition Cors (bog or marsh in English) should have given us an indication of the wet ground underfoot.  I was also surprised at the rights of way through three of the properties we had to walk through. The first was a private house with the front and side garden done in brick paving and we had to trapes across it in our muddy footwear, secondly was a farm where we had to walk over the horses feed of hay and then go through a corridor between bales of hay and then passing through the farmyard. The third right of way was over someone's immaculate front lawn.
We made the most of it though and it was a dry sunny day and not too cold.  Along the way we saw some very large Buzzards and partridges and pheasants and a lot of ruined property.  We made an error of navigation during the walk and ended in the village of Brynteg nowhere near where we should have done so we had a long walk back to Benllech along the main road. It's not a walk I would recommend and one that I don't think I'll ever do again. There are many more better walks in the area.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »
Was in Betws Y Coed today. This is how the Pont Y Pair Falls usually look:

Falls, Pont y Pair, Betws-y-Coed by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

This was how they looked today. Extensive flooding all along the Conwy Valley too. B5106 closed between Trefriw and Llanrwst.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:56 pm »
..and some video footage courtesy of my mobile phone:

Betws Pont Y Pair Falls in Flood.mp4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2011, 06:34:24 pm »
The photo and the video are really impressive Dave,  I've never seen so much water flowing in the Llugwy before.   Apparently Capel Curig had 7 inches of rain yesterday and that will account for the torrent of water.
I wonder if there has been any flooding in the Conwy Valley as a result of the deluge?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2011, 06:38:41 pm »
The valley was badly flooded all the way down from Betws to about Tal Y Cafn. Water was right up against the A470 for most of the way up to Llanrwst.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »
The waters had receded substantially, this morning, but were still pretty high
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »
They'd dropped about 1.5m from their previous height.  The cafe and bench looked rather forlorn