Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821571 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1995 on: January 13, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »
Snowdonia Slate Trail No 9    Llan Ffestiniog

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1997 on: January 19, 2019, 11:38:31 am »
Yesterday didn't start well when I realised I'd left my phone in the Bron with my eticket on it and the battery would be running low costing me an extra £5.50 in bus fare grrr.
We took the bus to Llanllechid and joined the Slate Trail to Bethesda. The Snowdonia Slate Trail is an 83 mile circular walk beginning and ending at Bangor taking you through the heart of the industrial ages of slate production in Snowdonia. A and E have done a couple of the section but we intend to do more.
The rough guide we got off the Web was neither use nor ornament and we soon reverted back to "Backcountry navigator" seriously this is a free app and invaluable if you enjoy walking...
We followed the footpaths eventually leading through a wooded area where we came across a fallen bridge. Elaine refused to walk over the bridge opting for nearly falling in the river instead lol.
The little birds on route probably make me smile more than anything Robins, Starlings and a Buzzard that landed in a tree. I love this time of year you seem to see so much more. We also saw the cutest sheep thinking it was a Bearded Collie (Dulux dog) at first.
Not a bad day in all.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline hollins

« Reply #1998 on: January 19, 2019, 04:26:47 pm »
Lovely pics and so nice to see you back on here again.

Jj

« Reply #1999 on: January 19, 2019, 07:23:34 pm »
Thanks very much Hollins xx

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2000 on: January 19, 2019, 11:07:03 pm »
It's really good to see you back on here Pendragon,  I always looked forward to reading your reports of the walks and the photos that went with them. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2001 on: February 19, 2019, 04:54:14 pm »
This is the 4th year in a row that we have travelled to Llanystumdwy to do a walk along the Afon Dwyrfor and see the masses of Snowdrops that line the river bank.   Normally we go there at the end of January but this year, because of circumstances like illness and the weather we were about 3 weeks later than in previous years.
We  drove down to Porthmadog and picked up old Uncle Albert and then continued to Llannystumdwy before parking the car by the Memorial to David Lloyd George, a former Prime Minister of Great Britain who spent his childhood growing up in this Welsh village.
The walk is straightforward and it follows the river for about 2 Km and then passes through a stone arch where you turn right and follow a very straight lane back to the village.     The walk has been different each time we have done it and this time was no exception.    The river was calmer than on previous visits and was not in full flood after the Winter rains and although it was still flowing fast we could see how clear the water is.  The Snowdrops were out in their masses and it’s a fascinating sight to see and well worth the journey down there to see them.   The flowers were past their best sadly but were still very impressive to see and we did notice that there were masses of Bluebells starting to grow and we have earmarked another trip to Llanystumdwy in April or May to see them in full bloom.
It’s a delightful walk through deciduous woodland and because of the storms we have had this Winter, several large trees have been uprooted and toppled into the river
Once out of the woods we headed down the tarmac lane and when we came to Ty Newydd, a huge white building that was Lloyd George’s final home in the village we followed the public footpath behind the house and made our way back to the car and through the old main street of this village.   We passed the old pub and then the childhood home of Lloyd George before crossing over the bridge and having a look around the old Church.
We then made our way back to the car and drove back to Uncle Albert’s home where we were treated to cups of tea and a homemade scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam, a great way to finish off a good walk.   Sadly Rhuddlan was not able to come on the walk as he wasn’t feeling too well but at least Tellytubby and I were able to scoff his scone and very delicious it was!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2002 on: February 19, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »
Llanystumdwy walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2003 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:09 pm »
The weather forecast was good for Saturday so Tellytubby and I took the opportunity to walk a section of the Roman Road from Rowen to Llanfairfechan.  Our starting point for the walk was to go from the Bwlch Y Ddeufaen car park and follow the track to a wooden signpost and then head uphill to Drum and then return back along the ridge to the car park.  Before I post about the walk I’d just like to mention  that a few years ago Tellytubby and Rhuddlan introduced me to a very close friend of theirs, a lovely lady from St Asaph.    Her name was Maria and they were all members of a Field Club and an Archaeological group in St Asaph.    Apart from being a warm and kind hearted person she was exceptionally good at arranging things as she had a wide circle of friends and good contacts and would always go out of her way to help people.    Sadly when I met her she was not enjoying good health but she was still able to arrange two special trips for us and best of all she was able to come on them with us.   The trips were to the famous Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool and to the site of the palace of  Owain Glyndwr in Sycharth, two great trips and she was able to tell us the history of both the places.
On one of the trips I found out that amongst all her many interests her passion was for Roman Roads in North Wales and it also happens to be one of mine too.   During the conversation I mentioned that in my very first walk with the retirement group I thought that I saw a section of a Roman Road in some woodland in Pentre Halkyn.    To me it appeared as a short but classic section of a Roman Road complete with the agger and ditches either side but when I went back to the spot a few years later with a camera to record it, I couldn’t see any sign of it so I was a bit puzzled by it.
Anyway Maria knew it and said that it was a well known site but the landowner had put soil over the spot to deter people from visiting it.
Maria had a friend called David Hopewell of the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust who had written a book on Roman Roads in North West Wales and she suggested that I buy it, which I did and I’ve enjoyed reading it.    Maria’s health deteriorated not long after that and she sadly passed away but she is always remembered with affection when her name is mentioned on our walks
To get to the car park we drove up the hill from Llanbedr Y Cennin and at Cae Goch Farm we drove along the tarmac road to the car park.   It’s a walk I’ve done many times but before reading the book I’ve assumed incorrectly that the tarmac lane was the path of the original road but in fact it isn’t as the original Roman road is on the northern side of the stone wall.   Near Car Coch they found part of a Roman milestone that proved that the Romans used this route until as late as the mid fourth century.     About 800 yards further on , on the left you see a  circle of small stones and this is called Cerrigypryfaid,   ironically it was also the place in 1853 where Jac Y Swan from Rowen murdered  a 16 year old called Jesse Roberts and Jac Y Swan was caught and his was the last public execution in Caernarfon.
On a happier note we arrived at the car park and set off through Bwlch Y Ddeufaen  ( Pass of the two stones) and followed the track to the wooden signpost at the cross roads.  The original Roman Road lies to the south of the track but is hard to distinguish  in the heather.     At the crossroads we headed uphill towards Drum and near the first corner we saw a guy cycling down the track on his mountain bike. We had noticed him going up the track before but he said that it was too windy for him to cycle up there and we found that out as soon as we got around the corner.  Anyway we persevered  and with frequent stops we arrived near the top of Drum.    It had been a slog getting up there so we had our lunch in a sheltered spot and then it was downhill all the way to the car park.  I thought that going downhill would be easy but in actual fact the wind had picked up to a gale force so it was just good to get down and out of the wind.  We finished off the walk having a coffee in Tal Goed Nursery and although the weather was not like it had been forecast it's always good to get out and about

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2004 on: February 24, 2019, 10:11:42 pm »
Bwlch Y Ddeufaen & Carneddau walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2005 on: February 24, 2019, 10:38:25 pm »
Just a few more photos of the walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2006 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:46 am »
Yesterday Tellytubby and I drove up what  must be one of the steepest, narrowest and worst roads in North Wales so that we could have a walk from the old Church of Llangelynnin.     I was pleased when we got to the parking area by the Church and thanful that we didn't meet any cars coming the other way as the road has to be seen to be believed.
Anyway with that journey over we started our walk on the Carneddau but not before we had a visit to the Church.  It's one of the remotest Churches in North Wales and is set at just over 900 feet above sea level.    I've enclosed a link about the Church  that describes it better than I could ever hope to.
After having a good look around we set off uphill towards Caer Bach ( Little Fort ) and there we were able to look down the Conwy Valley and see the floods that had caused so much distress and damage there.   When you walk in the hills you have to be prepared for all events but I was pleasantly surprised when we got to Caer Bach.  It was so warm, about 18 C so off came my mid layer fleece and I wish that I'd have worn shorts instead as it was that nice.    The mountains in the Carneddau still had patches of snow but the visibility was good so we carried on to Cae Goch a small holding that looked like it was a holiday rental now and we had our refreshments there while enjoying the views.
Soon it was time to move on and we got to the tarmac road and after a short walk along it we headed uphill to Tal Y Fan.   I must admit to huffing and puffing my way uphill  with frequent stops along the way but Tellytubby on the other hand was going up there like a mountain goat,   We did some scrambling on the ridge but then went down to the moorland for an easier walk back to the car.    The views from there were superb with Llandudno and Anglesey clearly visible and as we were descending a steep section Tellytubby was chuffed to see a Red Kite flying nearby. We continued downhill to the car and it was nice to rest our tired legs after a good walk.   We then had the unenviable drive down the lane but met horses and a car along the way but you just had to be patient and careful and we did it very slowly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkVCIomhqKk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2007 on: March 21, 2019, 09:12:31 am »
Llangelynnin & Tal Y Fan walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2008 on: April 07, 2019, 02:13:33 pm »
There is a new series of Weatherman Walking on BBC 1 on Fridays at 7.30pm and it is about various walks in Wales.      When they feature walks in N Wales my walking friends and I like to try out some of his walks ourselves.
Last Friday though the two walks were in S Wales, one of which started from Saundersfoot near Tenby and it's set in a beautiful area of Wales.    I know that Hollins has stayed in Saundersfoot and done some walks in the area so I hope she was able to see it.
One interesting thing on the walk was at the start in Saundersfoot when Derek the presenter met a lady from the town who had heard that the beach was up for sale and helped with others to buy the beach for 250K.     Apparently she had also heard that developers were after the site and didn't want them to spoil the natural beauty of the beach so well done her.

I hope that CCBC was also watching the programme so that they can learn from their mistakes

Offline hollins

« Reply #2009 on: April 07, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »
Thanks for that Hugo. No I didn't see it or the previous one Beaumaris to Red Wharf Bay so I am going to catch up with the programmes on the Iplayer. It will be interesting as I have done both those walks myself.
Thanks again, a good tip!