Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820945 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #1965 on: September 15, 2018, 12:57:28 pm »
Some info and short video.

A Swiss steam engine and carriage which is visiting the Snowdon Mountain Railway for a month has already carried 2,000 people.

The locomotive is from the Brienz Rothorn Bahn, a mountain railway near Interlaken.
Mike Ellis of the Swiss railway said: “This visit has been very successful and we have been overwhelmed by the number of people coming. We are now on day 11 and we are just about to hit our 2,000th passenger which isn’t bad for a coach which holds 40 people.    http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16861643.swiss-loco-chalks-up-2000th-passenger-on-snowdonia-railway/?ref=mr&lp=8

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1966 on: September 15, 2018, 02:32:21 pm »
Thanks for posting that Steve.  That was the train we were hoping to go on, on Wednesday but it didn't go until after 3.00 pm so we had to leave it.
It's a free ride and I think it's on a first come first served basis but it's worth going on if you are lucky enough to get a seat and it's a nice atmosphere too.   When we were there there was a guy in the first carriage playing an accordian so it all added to the Swiss atmosphere

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1967 on: September 24, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »
On Saturday, Tellytubby and I had a trip to Anglesey so that we could see the Flying Scotsman going over the 19 arched viaduct at Malltraeth.     Driving through Newborough was a nightmare as we had forgotten about the triathlon that was being held there and the main road there is bad even at the best of times.    A stop at the Llyn Parc Mawr  nature reserve to see the Red Squirrels didn’t last long as there were no Squirrels to be seen so we continued on to Malltraeth.      After parking the car we had a look at the small Church of Christ our King and near to it we noticed a terrace of small derelict cottages and had a chat with a gentleman who was cutting the grass there and he kindly invited us in to see the cottages.    To call them tiny would be an understatement, they were just three cottages, each with just one small room.   They all had a big fireplace but no visible kitchen or bedroom and certainly no Ty Bach, so how they managed in those days is unimaginable.
Anyway after the nice chat we headed to the viaduct and as we had never been there before we chose to go along the embankment alongside the River Cefni.  It wasn’t long before we reached the 19 arched viaduct and as we were a bit early to see the train passing we sat under the viaduct and had our lunch.   
There was no one else around when we first arrived but as the time of the train came nearer loads of people started arriving in their cars and taking up positions ready to take photos of the train as it came over the viaduct.  Before long we could hear it coming and we took some photos but it was all over in a matter of seconds and then the train had gone past on its way to Holyhead.
We then returned to the car and headed to Aberffraw and walked up to the Church of St Cwyfan that is on the island in the bay.   It’s normally a peaceful and tranquil place but on Saturday the continuous drone coming from the racing track of Ty Croes  spoilt the normal silence of this beautiful location
Like a lot of Churches nowadays it was locked up because of unscrupulous thieves and vandals but another thing that disturbed me was what appeared to be 3 holes in the glass windows that were caused by air rifle pellets   Why anyone would want to do such a thing is beyond  my comprehension, I just feel sorry for the morons who have nothing better to do.    After visiting the Island Church we headed back home but stopped to see St Nidan’s  Church in Llanidan which is just past Brynsiencyn.    It’s a nice Gothic looking Church that we have passed so many times before but never stopped to have a look at it so yesterday we took advantage and stopped there.    The Church as expected was closed so we had a good look around before heading home

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1968 on: September 24, 2018, 01:12:58 pm »
Malltraeth and Aberffraw

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1969 on: September 24, 2018, 01:57:31 pm »
We were not too far away from you, Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1970 on: September 24, 2018, 02:28:37 pm »
Is that Llanfair PG station Bri?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1971 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »
You are on a roll, Hugo.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1972 on: October 05, 2018, 03:52:08 pm »
Morons on Tryfan          >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45756447

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1973 on: October 19, 2018, 01:25:17 pm »
On Wednesday, we decided to do a linear walk up part of the Afon Lledr which runs through the beautiful Lledr Valley so three of us drove to Dolwyddelan and picked up old Uncle Albert and then I drove down the A470 and parked by Gethin’s Bridge.   The Autumn colours had only just started to come out and a low mist hung over the valley but it was just nice to get out and enjoy each others company on a nice dry day.    Starting from the public footpath by Gethin’s Bridge it wasn’t long before we came to the wooden bridge that crossed over the Afon Lledr and with all the rain that we have had recently the river was in full flow and cascading down over the rocks.    The Salmon normally run up the river at this time of the year but unfortunately we didn’t see any this time so we carried on, on the footpath and walked under the railway viaduct so that we could follow the river closely upstream. After going through open farmland and a wooded area we came to a gorge and on the sheer rock face was a rusty old ladder that went down to an old narrow wooden  platform where they used to fish for Salmon from.   
We walked on the path past Lledr Hall and stopped at Pont Y Pant railway station where we had our refreshments but we couldn’t get too comfortable because we still had a bit to go to get back to Dolwyddelan.     We walked along the banks of the river and came to the lovely old slab style bridge that crosses the river and we walked over it before coming back and continuing on to Dolwyddelan where Uncle Albert drove us back to Gethin’s Bridge so that I could get to my car.   It was a very nice walk, a bit wet in places as Rhuddlan found out when his left boot went down about a foot into some boggy ground

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1974 on: October 19, 2018, 01:27:54 pm »
A walk up the Afon Lledr from Gethin's Bridge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1975 on: October 25, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »
Yesterday I met up with Tellytubby to have a walk around the Great Orme and make our way over the top to have a look at Pen Dinas and Elephant's Cave.  The weather was quite cold so I took my gloves, fleece hat and waterproof jacket from my rucksack and decided to wear them from the start of the walk and with a heavy camera around my neck we set off from the West Shore.
We took the Monk's Path above the Toll House and made our way up to Pen Y Ffordd Goch and just stopping before the Marine Drive to take a photo of what's left of Miriam Yr Ogof's  Gogarth Tea Rooms.  Those terracotta floor tiles that she had in her kitchen still look in good condition.  Then it was down Llys Helyg Drive to the Gunsite and up the grass path passing a small herd of Goats on the way up.   After the last look out building we made our way above Hornby Cove and there we remembered when we were there last and had a works colleague with us and he had just mentioned that he didn't like heights!   Now this point is about 300 feet above the shore line and not the place to be if you are scared of heights but we got him safely to the top.
We had a look at the new extension to the cafe and then made our way across the road and over the bracken until we came to the rock which looks like a Cottage Loaf and took some photos of the rock.   I was quite warm by then so at this point I asked Tellytubby to look in my rucksack and get my cap out of it and Tellytubby happily obliged but then said to me you're not wearing a rucksack!!!!       Talk about senior moments!    We had a recap and realised that in the rush to get off I had left the rucksack in the car so we decided to walk back the way we came and sure enough the rucksack was in the boot of the car so I got my sandwiches out and ate them in the shelter by the boating lake.
To finish the walk that we had started, we drove to the Ski Centre and parked there and it was nice to see so many people using the facilities in the Ski Centre. We went first to the hill fort of Pen Dinas and the Rocking Stone but it's no longer rocking as I found out when I stood on it.  The views over the town are just superb from this location and there was another small herd of Goats there too.  Then we went down to Elephants Cave and had a bit of an exploration around that area before heading back to our cars. Another nice walk but next time I'll have to make sure that I'm fully prepared for the walk and hadn't forgotten anything.       :-[   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1976 on: October 25, 2018, 03:56:29 pm »
Great Orme walk

Offline BrianP

« Reply #1977 on: October 25, 2018, 10:43:19 pm »
Those goats look a bit nervous, just hope there are no female Americans on holiday looking for huge fun.

Offline mull

« Reply #1978 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:26 am »
Are there a lot of people on the pier ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1979 on: October 26, 2018, 08:32:52 am »
What the cafe picture doesn't show is the roof-top eating area, where those feeling brave enough will be able to eat their scones and drink coffee overlooking the Irish Sea.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.