Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820940 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #930 on: December 01, 2012, 04:57:17 pm »
It was pouring down with rain today when the alarm clock rang at 8.00am and I was half expecting a phone call to say that our walk had been cancelled. By 10.00am when we met on the Promenade in Llanfairfechan the weather had changed dramatically and the weather was fine and sunny.   Because of the recent atrocious weather we reverted to plan C and Pete took us to the top of Llanfairfechan for the start of our Quarry walk and thankfully he was able to drive up there and thus avoiding any steep hills.
This was my first visit to the quarry and I was looking forward to it very much after having enjoyed Pendragons descriptions and photos of the area.  We started walking up the track to the quarry and had fine views of the Carneddau behind us, the snow was quite low on those mountains but thankfully that was in the far distance. The path kept going uphill and we soon arrived at a building that had a man made like beside it and although some of the workings were still there we couldn't figure out what its original use was for. Carrying on uphill we came to the top of the quarry and were rewarded with superb views in all directions.  Visibility was very good and we could even see the Isle of Man and snow on the hills in Cumbria.  There is a lot of industrial history here and having seen it first hand I can understand and appreciate Pendragons love of the area. We skirted around the top of the quarry and found a suitable place to have our refreshments and at the same time shelter from the cool wind that was blowing over the top.   After that we headed down and back to the car and home but not before we enjoyed a nice coffee latte at a cafe on the promenade in Llanfairfechan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #931 on: December 01, 2012, 05:02:26 pm »
Llanfairfechan quarry walk

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #932 on: December 01, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »
   The first picture.  Am I correct in thinking the upright walker is staring out thinking "I wish that bloody golf course was open"?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #933 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:35 pm »
   The first picture.  Am I correct in thinking the upright walker is staring out thinking "I wish that bloody golf course was open"?

You could be right Mike because he's looking in that direction.     $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #934 on: December 11, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »
My husband took these photos today walking up Carnedd Dafydd via Crib Lem ridge. He says there wasn't a breath of wind up there which is quite remarkable.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #935 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
Lovely photos Hollins, it looked really cold up there.   Did your husband wear crampons for that walk?

Offline hollins

« Reply #936 on: December 12, 2012, 02:53:21 pm »
Yes, Hugo he did because the snow was very hard. He says it wasn't that cold because it was so still but I agree with you it certainly looks it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #937 on: December 15, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »
Today six of us met up in Pentraeth to have our Christmas meal together but prior to the meal we set off for a walk through the Red Squirrel Woodland at Pentraeth.   We wanted to build up a healthy appetite for the meal and also to see a dilapidated cottage which was once owned by Keith's father.  Both Keith and Pete had been there before and we also had the benefit of another member who was a Forest Ranger who had been working in the area recently so we knew that we were in safe hands!!
The forest track was well maintained but there were a lot of windblown trees that had been uprooted and fallen down. Before long we left the main track and went on to a footpath which quickly turned into a bit of a quagmire and later on became overgrown with brambles and young trees.  In the clearings we had good views to Llanddona and then we changed direction had lovely views of Red Wharf Bay.  The path again became boggy and bramble covered and Wayne fell backwards when a Pine tree branch pushed him over but thankfully Pete was behind him and prevented him from hurting himself.  We continued uphill and walked through a garden with a beautiful cottage that had stunning views across the bay and carried on until we reached the dilapidated cottage.   It's a shame that it has been left to deteriorate so badly as it also enjoyed panoramic views of the area.  After looking around the outside of the cottage we made our way back to the cars and drove to the Bull Inn for one of their carveries and a pint and then after the meal drove home.  Although we all enjoyed the walk we all agreed that we won't do it again unless they drastically improve the footpaths in the Forest.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #938 on: December 15, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
is that the Bull Bay Inn, Hugo? Any good?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #939 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
It was the Bull Inn, Main Street Pentraeth that we went to Dave not the one in Bull Bay itself.     The Bull Inn is  on the main road not far from the centre of Pentraeth and good value at £6.75 for the carvery.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #940 on: December 28, 2012, 05:17:40 pm »
When Pete phoned me up last night and suggested that we go for a walk today to blow the Festive cobwebs away I thought that it was a good idea.  When we arrived at the West Shore to start our walk on the Great Orme I realised that he wasn't joking.  It was blowing a gale and there was horizontal rain but at least the windsurfers were making the most of the weather.
We donned our wet weather walking gear and made our way up to Invalids Walk and took a diagonal path upwards by the cave Ogof Arth.  We made a detour to see inside the cave but could smell it about 10 yards before we got there!   Luckily the wind cleared our nostrils and we continued uphill and crossed under the rockface to reach the rough grassland area at the top.   Following a sheep track we came to the Gogarth Tunnel which was in full flow after the recent rain and then walked past Ffynnon Gogarth to the farm wall. 
The wind had built up tremendously and we struggled to walk alongside the wall but by the Limestone paving area we went through a kissing gate and sheltered from the wind on the other side of the wall while we ate our food. After that it was time to go downhill and visit the cafe.  The cafe was packed but we got a seat and had a nice Latte and coffee cake and watched people outside struggling to walk in the atrocious weather. Soon though it was our turn to brave the elements and we walked back along the Marine Drive and just after Ffynnon Caseg we left the road and went down the steep slope to the Gunsite and had a look around there passing the places where Quiggs and Tonyf  would have once lived.   After going along Llys Helyg Drive and seeing those expensive houses we turned up Pen Y Ffordd Goch and looked over to where Miriam Jones (Yr Ogof) once had her tearooms and then turned into the old Monks Path above the Marine Drive.  A Sparrowhawk accompanied us for a lot of the way but unfortunately we couldn't get a good photo of the bird .  The section near to the Toll House is eroding very badly and for public safety has been fenced off but you can see by the size of the recent rockfall that this area is potentially dangerous. We didn't stay there too long and tempt fate so we made our way back to the car then home.   Despite the weather it was another enjoyable walk and probably our last for this year!   Roll on 2013.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #941 on: December 28, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »
Great Orme Walk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #942 on: December 28, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
Hugo, Mrs Fester and I can vouch for that weather report... as we did a slightly smaller Great Orme walk today in the opposite direction.
At 2.30pm the wind was ferocious, and it was a massive relief to get back to the safety of the car.

The Latte in the R&BT cafe, was one of the best I have ever had!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tellytubby

« Reply #943 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »
 $good$ it was very windy today but an excellent walk as always. Will look forward to many more walks Hugo -  Early Happy New Year to all.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #944 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
Lovely pics Hugo, my it does look bleak. The 'pond' reminded me of my old dog, she always used to jump in there and come out green and dripping weed !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.