Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821500 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Walking
« Reply #330 on: March 29, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »
It's difficult to tell from the photo Dave but I think you're correct and that it's Penmon because it looks like a quarry and beach that Puffin Island doesn't have.
Puffin Island would be to the right and just out of sight.

I'll have to go again and resolve this mystery... because I was certain it was the Gt Orme, as we drove away I even thought I saw the summit complex.
However I will defer to your esteemed brain-boxes!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #331 on: March 29, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »
It's difficult to tell from the photo Dave but I think you're correct and that it's Penmon because it looks like a quarry and beach that Puffin Island doesn't have.
Puffin Island would be to the right and just out of sight.

I'll have to go again and resolve this mystery... because I was certain it was the Gt Orme, as we drove away I even thought I saw the summit complex.
However I will defer to your esteemed brain-boxes!

But first you said....Picture 3 is a view back down the valley we walked up, and you can see the Gt Orme in the vee in the distance.

Now you're saying you saw the Orme as you drove away......which you probably did.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
That's always a great walk Fester and I'm glad that you enjoyed it . The falls you went to is Rhaeadr Fawr and sometimes you get small trout in that pool that you photographed. To the west of the falls is a smaller waterfall called Rhaeadr Bach and another walk on the west of the valley on the higher ground brings you down steeply into the village of Aber and near the nice cafe! ( double chocolate nut cake is delicious)
If I'm not mistaken it is Puffin Island that you've captured in your photo and not the Orme judging from where the photo was taken.
It's the coastline of Anglesey itself, I think, between Llanfaes and Penmon.  :)

I think you're right.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »
Haven't been to Aber Falls for about 20 years, must go again after seeing your walk Fester.

Must be around the same time frame since I was last up there.

I did walk, however, I also enjoyed taking my dirt bike up through Aber and riding along the old Roman Road, eventually ending up in the Conwy Valley.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »
I hope you didn't cheat and walk up the steep single track lane to the Roman Road!         :cyclist40:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »
Not sure where to post these photos but they are of the Zephyr that I saw by Penrhyn Old Hall

brumbob

« Reply #336 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:37 pm »
a bit of a mess after all  :D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #337 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »
a bit of a mess after all  :D

I wonder what's under the hood......sorry bonnet?

Yes, an engine I know, but what kind? The Zephyr six had one tail pipe but this has two.

I'm wondering if there's a V8 under there.

Hugo could you go back............. :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:39 am »
It's not going anywhere so I may look next time I go to Home from Home Cooking for a Cappuccino.        ;)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »
Looks like a job for restoration !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #340 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »
I've recently become fascinated by rocks, predominantly the many standing stones on Conwy and Penmaenmawr mountains.  Used as markers in ancient times, some of them are absolutely huge and can be seen for miles around on the landscape.(pic 1)  Now that I'm looking for these sites I notice large round piles stones which look like burial mounds.(pic 2)  (They will of course more than likely turn out to be the collection place for stonemasons when they built the surrounding walls).
I noticed this huge triangular rock and the one to the side of it built into a wall.(pic 3)  I wonder if they moved the stone to its current location or whether the wall was built around it.
Then in the middle of nowhere I stumbled across this strange little grave stone. (pic 4) It's carved from solid rock and has the initials G L on the front?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2011, 01:47:50 pm »
Here is a photo of another stone formation, this time it's a pyramid shape.(pic 1)  I know the farmer so I'm going to go back for further investigation when his lambs are a little older.
A small pond on the mountain near Alltwen (we're going there Thusday Mrs Fester) looks like a bridge used to cross the water to the middle. (pic 2)  This stone was near Alltwen too, you can tell how large it is in comparison to my lighter on the top (pic 3)  Now does that look carved to you?  It's shaped like a column, rounded and flat on both ends.  Various other large stones scattered around it.  Where was this from?  The last photo is of a stone circle, not like Druids Circle but purposely placed stones never the less.(pic 4)  The farmer uses this area for burning and those are not sticks in there they're branches. Look at the size of the rocks!

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »
Situated right by the stone circle is another strange arrangement of rocks (pic 1and 3).  This is a lovely spot (although private, and I saw pheasants so in season you risk getting shot  :o )  Look at pic 2  for picturesque.  Perfect place to clear your head.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:04:34 pm by Pendragon »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:42 pm »
I love the way nature stops for nothing.  In these pics you can see where the stones have been engulfed by the trees.  One stones even tries to pierce the heart of the tree but inevitably to no avail.

brumbob

« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »
Then in the middle of nowhere I stumbled across this strange little grave stone. (pic 4) It's carved from solid rock and has the initials G L on the front?

Nice pics Pen  8)

It's a boundary stone, here's a pic of another one that is located on St. David's Place in Llandudno.
The stone is partially buried with only the upper section being visible. This stone is inscribed with the letters 'E R'.