Author Topic: Walking  (Read 834447 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2235 on: July 17, 2021, 05:27:04 pm »
The weather was good on Wednesday so Tellytubby and I drove to Betws Y Coed to meet up with old Uncle Albert and have a short walk in the Betws area.
We parked behind St Michael's Church where we started the circular walk up to Llyn Elsi.    It's a good track which is steep in parts as it winds it's way up to the lake.    We decided to walk around the southern end of the lake first and were rewarded with clear views of the impressive Moel Siabod,  at the end of the lake we continued along the western side until we came to a seat which overlooked the lake and we had our refreshments there.in the warm sunshine
Not long afterwards we came to the dam at the northern end of the lake and it was quite obvious that the water level in the lake was quite low.   Our attention was captured on the shore of the lake when the water appeared to be bubbling and when we investigated it, found that hundreds of fish were feeding on algae  They were all about 3 inches in length and may have been young wild Brown Trout that are known to live in the lake.
We carried on past the monument and took a path down towards Pont Y Pair.    That path was narrow and very very steep in parts but we did enjoy panoramic views of the Conwy Valley on the descent.  The best bit was that we were going down the path as I wouldn't fancy doing the walk up it.
After getting to the road we followed the A5 back to our cars and hopefully we'll meet in a couple of weeks for another walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2236 on: July 17, 2021, 05:31:12 pm »
Llyn Elsi  Betws Y Coed walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2237 on: July 22, 2021, 02:25:53 pm »
'Extraordinary scenes' of illegal camping, litter and parking spurs North Wales beauty spot patrols
Officers from National Resources Wales and North Wales Police will be out in force over the weekend

Natural Resources Wales and North Wales police officers will be out in force at Newborough National Nature Reserve and Forest and car parks at Coed y Brenin and Gwydir Forest Park as part of ongoing efforts to prevent illegal camping, littering and irresponsible parking at the sites.

The crackdown has been launched following an increase in people staying in car parks overnight at NRW sites.

Camping without the landowner’s permission in Wales is a civil offence and NRW does not permit any form of unauthorised camping on its land.

Enforcement action will be taken against those found to be flouting the rules during late evening and early morning patrols at key sites across North West Wales from this weekend.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/extraordinary-scenes-illegal-camping-litter-21115716

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2238 on: July 23, 2021, 10:22:41 am »
The most beautiful short coastal walks in Wales
Make the most of the sunshine without breaking out into too much of a sweat

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/most-beautiful-short-coastal-walks-21096670?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2239 on: August 05, 2021, 10:08:51 am »
A TRIO of hikers took to social media when they were left stranded in North Wales after one of them tested positive for coronavirus.

Paul McErlean, who had been hiking along the Snowdonia Way for nine hours with pals Charlie Coward and Andreas Maltan, received a text telling him he had tested positive for the viris.

The news meant they were unable to stay at their intended campsite near, the three men took to social media to make a desperate appeal for help.

So the friends, who were visiting from Northern Ireland, took to Twitter.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19492716.hikers-twitter-plea-help-positive-covid-19-test-left-stranded-north-wales/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2240 on: August 07, 2021, 10:42:04 am »
Tellytubby and Mrs T did a walk on Wednesday and he sent me some photos of the walk.     It's a nice walk to do anytime but on Wednesday it was a glorious sunny and warm day
They left their car by Gethin's Bridge on the A470 and followed the footpath along the river to Dolwyddelan and returning back the same way.
Along the way you see the gorge where the fishermen used to fish for Salmon and then the pool by Pont Y Pant.   Further on is the old slab bridge that crosses the Afon Lledr to reach the A470 and Dolwyddelan
It's a walk of about 8 and a half miles but it's a delightful riverside walk in beautiful surroundings

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2241 on: August 09, 2021, 09:57:06 am »
As an inner city kid, who experienced this type of learning, I can vouch for how much it influenced my life, for the better, great shame.

THE decision to permanently close a centre for outdoor learning has caused disappointment.

Warwickshire County Council's Cabinet has taken the decision that Marle Hall, the County Council’s residential facility for outdoor education activities located just outside Llandudno Junction. It is expected to shut on Friday, October 22 2021.

Aberconwy MS Janet Finch-Saunders has spoken of her disappointment at the decision.

She said: “Having visited Marle Hall on several occasions, as well as making trips to our other residential outdoor activity centres across the region, I have always been so overwhelmed by the positive impression that the perfect package of our unique location and a devoted team of highly qualified staff leaves on the young people visiting our area.

“The contribution that residential outdoor education plays in the lives and development of our children cannot be understated.

“In an age when so many young people live an indoor life based around social media, it remains essential that we provide opportunities to test themselves in the outdoors.

“Venues like Marle Hall allow our young people to develop much sought-after skills in teamwork and leadership, taking part in risk-assessed but not risk-free activities which build and strengthen character.

“To take the decision to close these highly valued centres is a very short-sighted step by any local authority in England.”

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19496129.ms-saddened-permanent-closure-outdoor-residential-centre/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2242 on: August 11, 2021, 09:26:34 am »
Yesterday,  old Uncle Albert, Tellytubby and I met up in Dolwyddelan to do a walk in the area.   This time we were heading for Cwm Penamnen, a steep wooded valley that heads towards Blaenau Ffestiniog so we made our way over the railway bridge and came to Glan Gors Street
From there we headed up the forestry track that rose steeply above the valley and came to Carreg Alltrem which is very popular with climbers practising their skills but not for the faint hearted like us so we carried on up the track.  Just past there you enjoy fantastic views over Cwm Penamnen and you can also see the peaks of Moel Siabod, Pen Yr Helgi Ddu and other peaks on the Carneddau range.
The Roman Road of Sarn Helen which runs from North to South Wales can be seen clearly in the valley below and it follows the path of the river through the valley.
We then followed the path on the right down to the valley floor and had our refreshments near a large house called Ty'n Y Cwm (House in the valley )   
Dark clouds circled above us so we decided to continue with the walk and not go in search of the spectacular waterfall that we could see high above us.  We passed an unoccupied cottage before coming to the ruins of Tai Penamnen, the first building there was built in the 15th century and in the 16th century Meredudd ab Ieuan ap Robertcame an ancestor of the Wynns of Gwydir came to live there.
After that it wasn't long before we came back to our cars and we had enjoyed a new walk and luckily didn't get wet either.

http://www.cistercianway.wales/directory/cymmer-conway/trawsfynydd-dolwyddelan/meredydd-ab-ieuan-ap-robert/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2243 on: August 11, 2021, 09:30:30 am »
Cwm Penamnen walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2244 on: August 11, 2021, 09:34:44 am »
Cwm Penamnen walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2245 on: August 12, 2021, 08:49:52 am »
Just a little add on to my walk on Tuesday as it was only the second time I had been in that valley.     The first time was a much longer walk and we went up and over the valley ridge and had our refreshments by a lake above Blaenau Ffestiniog. 
It was a beautiful warm day as we relaxed by the side of the lake and I nodded off.    Soon after that they woke me up and it was time to head for another lake further on.   The boggy grass was awful to walk on and I found it really hard going and put it down to having had a nap earlier on.
After a mile or so yomping through the grass my friend told me that our other walking partner ( a forum member ironically called Hugo's mate )  had filled my rucksack with rocks when I was asleep! 
After dumping the rocks the going got much easier and we had a great walk but karma comes around and I did manage to get one back on  Hugo's mate            $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2246 on: August 20, 2021, 04:24:34 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2247 on: August 26, 2021, 11:33:04 am »
We have driven up the Crimean Pass dozens of times and every time we have noticed a prominent tramway that we said that we would like to have a walk along but never attempted to do it.     However yesterday and prompted by old Uncle Albert we decided to do it.   It involved two cars one parked in a layby near Dolwyddelan Castle and we drove the other car to the top of the Crimean Pass and parked in the layby on the right immediately before the signpost for Gwynedd. 
The tramway was fairly level as it follows the contours of the hill and we had glorious views of the valley looking down to Dolwyddelan and Moel Siabod.   The track then turns back on itself and heads in a westerly direction and slightly downhill but what we were about to see left us amazed.    The scenery was breathtakingly stunning with numerous valleys and even valleys on top of valleys and all enclosed by a horseshoe shaped ridge of mountains.   It was quite emotional seeing the beauty of the area we are lucky enough to live in and my photos and comments cannot do it justice.    Without doubt we all agreed that it was one of the most beautiful walks that we have ever done
After a while we came to an air shaft that supplied ventilation for the trains that go through the long railway tunnel to Blaenau Ffestiniog and we decided to have our refreshments there.  Then we followed the track downhill passing a herd of Welsh Black cattle en route.    We didn't like the look of an extremely large bull with a ring through it's nose so we left the track and walked through a rough area of grass so as to avoid it.    The track ends up at an area called Blaenau Dolwyddelan which is a strange place with as many churches and Chapels as there are houses but before we got to the road we had a quick look around an old Chapel that you can reach by going over the slab bridge.     Then when we were on the tarmac road we headed through the village to our next destination which was Dolwyddelan Castle,    The castle was bathed in sunshine when we got there and Moel Siabod dominated the area.    Unfortunately because of Covid perhaps the castle wasn't open so we continued to the car park and then drove to the other car park.   
We were all tired after the long walk but so pleased with everything we saw.    We could see all the mountains around including Snowdon but unlike Snowdon we only met one other walker on this walk so that was a bonus too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2248 on: August 26, 2021, 11:37:03 am »
Blaenau Ffestiniog to Dolwyddelan walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2249 on: August 26, 2021, 11:41:52 am »
Blaenau Ffestiniog to Dolwyddelan walk