Author Topic: Walking  (Read 834057 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking
« Reply #2130 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:39 am »
Eerie video shows 'silent Snowdon' deserted hours before UK lockdown
Pwllheli-based videographers Kelp & Fern captured the Llanberis Path to the summit hours before UK wide lockdown was announced.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/video-shows-silent-snowdon-stark-17974405

Coronavirus: North Wales Police will stop caravans and motorhomes on A55 and send tourists home
Chief constable Carl Foulkes pledges to stop the influx of holidaymakers into the region during the Covid-19 outbreak

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronavirus-north-wales-police-stop-17974166

Moment police descend on Snowdonia walkers ignoring lockdown rules
The walkers were intercepted near Porthmadog
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/moment-police-descend-snowdonia-walkers-17973151

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2131 on: March 25, 2020, 11:04:45 am »
Excellent. The next stage will be enforcing penalties. Perhaps confiscation of the caravan or camping gear?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2132 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »
Snowdon and other busy mountains have been shut amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Snowdonia National Authority Park Authority (SNPA) has announced the decision today.
From now Snowdon, Cader Idris, 'Ogwen' - Y Garn, Glyderau, Tryfan and Cwm Idwal, Aran Benllyn and Aran Fawddwy are closed to the public.

This was despite UK Government guidance over social distancing, which urged people to stay at home and not take unnecessary journeys to stop the spread of covid-19.

Snowdonia National Park shuts all car parks and warns it could go further to stop coronavirus spread
“The current picture on 25.03.20 is as follows, however the situation is evolving rapidly:

“We are closing the busiest mountains in Snowdonia, and there will be no access to these mountains until further notice, this includes Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon), Cader Idris, 'Ogwen' - Y Garn, Glyderau, Tryfan and Cwm Idwal, Aran Benllyn and Aran Fawddwy.”

In addition SNPA has closed all its main car parks, information centres, Plas Tan y Bwlch - the authority’s study centre and warden centres - although wardens will remain at work with “limited social contact.”

In addition all scheduled events, volunteer activities and authority meetings are cancelled until further notice, with the head office closed to the public - with staff there working from home.

The SNPA statement added: “No face to face public consultations will take place, but some officers may undertake some site visits. We are looking at all alternative options at present and will release details as soon as possible.

“Where possible we are looking to continue contracted service and projects in order to support local businesses and the economy. If you have any general questions please contact parc@eryri.llyw.cyrmu.”                      ref DP

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2133 on: March 25, 2020, 11:13:04 pm »
This idiot from Birmingham was rescued by the Mountain Rescue team and then asked them "which mountain shall I climb tomorrow"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-helped-snowdonia-mountain-during-17981158

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2134 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:18 am »
I suspect the police will have to start issuing penalties. And the penalties will have to be meaningful.

I appreciate this seems like a loss of basic freedoms, but if freedom is abused then the penalties have to fit the crime.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2135 on: April 11, 2020, 10:28:43 am »
The six amazing facts about Snowdon which you may never have heard
Yr Wyddfa is Wales' highest mountain and one of 15 peaks in the national park over 3,000 feet

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/six-amazing-facts-snowdon-you-18074006

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2136 on: April 16, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »
Tonight's programme of Weatherman Walking  (BBC 1 Wales   7.30 PM)   should be one to watch.   It features Derek Brockway walking from Abergwyngregin to Conwy.         Apart from the beautiful scenery there should be a lot of history included in it including him talking to local historian Adrian Hughes

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2137 on: April 17, 2020, 10:51:06 am »
I watched the programme last night and really enjoyed it and there was some stunning scenery filmed.   I liked the bit about the search and rescue dogs and they do such a great job in all types of weather conditions.      Many years ago I remember David Jones from Llanfairfechan who did search and rescue all over the world with his Collie who I think was called Meg, he even went to El Salvador after the earthquake there.
Mull with his dog Fly also did search and rescue work up there in Scotland and they would have done it in treacherous conditions at times
These volunteers do an incredible job and without them many lives would have been lost

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2138 on: April 17, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
The people who kept the Galt-y-Glyn hotel in Llanberis were heavily involved in the Snowdon Mountain Rescue.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2139 on: April 17, 2020, 03:09:50 pm »
I remember David Jones Hugo, he had the Graiglwyd Boarding Kennels in Penmaenmawr. He was a member of the Penmaenmawr based International Rescue Service & donated trained dogs to the Balkans Mountain Rescue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2140 on: April 17, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
That's him Meleri and he was a nice guy too.     He did an incredible amount of good work,  all those volunteers deserve a pat on the back for all the work they do and the risks they take          $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2141 on: April 17, 2020, 05:06:17 pm »
Thought you might like this Hugo...............I for one, will sponsor you, if you fancy having a go.  $good$

Walk Wales
Would you like to walk some of Wales’ most beautiful landscapes whilst in lockdown?

It’s fair to say we have not experienced anything like the current Coronavirus pandemic and the restrictions placed upon us. It’s important, now more than ever, to look after our physical and mental wellbeing.

There is no better way to do this than by taking part in our ‘Walk Wales’ challenge, which can be completed in the home, the garden, on a treadmill, taking the dog for a walk or going up and down the stairs.

The Challenge

As a country with beautiful coastlines, mountain ranges, national parks and towns, it's no surprise that we miss exploring the beauty of Wales.

However, we have identified some of Wales' most picturesque walks and are asking you to complete the equivalent distance at home.

We have four distances for you to choose from, and ask that you complete the challenge between Monday 20 April and Thursday 21 May.
As Wales battles the Coronavirus pandemic, our Charity has a big part to play in the medical response and it is your incredible generosity that keeps our helicopters flying.   

Many of the ways that you raise funds for us are through face-to-face public events or by supporting our shops. Quite rightly, events have been cancelled and our shops have closed as we all play our part to protect society. 

https://www.walesairambulance.com/walkwales?fbclid=IwAR0vMeeCE71COgELig_s4o-kOKhGpfLchfdpBg8pF2harmwMK54mrbukEEQ

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2142 on: April 28, 2020, 07:36:36 pm »
Colwyn Bay to Llanelian Yn Rhos walk
Monday was such a lovely day that I thought that I would combine my once a day exercise with a walk that I have been wanting to do since the lockdown.    I started it from home and took the footpath opposite the entrance to Eirias Park.
At the end of the footpath I followed the signpost for Cilgwyn Mawr and stopped at two stone posts for a breather and to take some photos of the beautiful countryside, then it was steeply uphill until I came to Cilgwyn Mawr.   Apparently this farm was a regular meeting place for Calvinist Methodists in the 1770's.      I then followed the lane into Llanelian Yn Rhos just stopping occasionally to look at the panoramic views.     The road comes into the village square where you see the White Lion pub next door to the Church of St Elian,, sadly because of Coronaviras the pub is in lockdown as I could have done with a pint of the nice cold beer they serve there after my effort of getting to the village
Across the road was a lovely garden and nearby was a phone box with a nice tradition.     The villagers use it like a library and bring and take books there as and when they need them.
Just around the corner with a letter box in the wall is the old Post Office and directly opposite is Llan Farm.    It's a medieval thatched cruck house and the five crucks all still remain. In actual fact my wife and I looked at the property C1985 with a view to buying it but decided against it for a few reasons.   The house was then priced at £45K !
A joiner friend of mine had worked on the roof and told me that a rifle had been found under the thatch and claimed that it was hidden there during the English Civil War.
After looking around, it was time to head home so I took the lane between the Smithy and the White Lion and after about 300 yards  passed Nant Y Ffynnon Chapel on my left. About 100 yards further on I stopped and had a look at Ffynnon Elian.     This is the Holy well of St Elian but unlike other Holy Wells this was a cursing well where people used to go and see the Priest who would invite the person to write the name of the intended victim on a pebble and after a sort of ceremony drop the pebble bearing the name of the person to be afflicted  into the water.  The standard charge for that was one shilling to apply a curse and ten shillings to assist in revoking the curse!
After much cursing I carried on down the road until I came back  to Eirias Park and then carried on uphill through the woods until I reached my home.      It was a great walk with plenty of history and beautiful scenery and I'm sure that my walking mates would have enjoyed it too..     We keep in touch and they are keepinfg safe and well but unfortunately it will be a long while until we can do walks together

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2143 on: April 28, 2020, 07:40:26 pm »
Colwyn Bay to Llanelian Yn Rhos walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2144 on: April 28, 2020, 07:43:40 pm »
Colwyn Bay to Llanelian Yn Rhos