Author Topic: Walking  (Read 840257 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2115 on: March 21, 2020, 05:18:36 pm »
Hugo, I am sure everyone is being encouraged to avoid non-essential travel.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2116 on: March 21, 2020, 05:35:17 pm »
Hugo, I am sure everyone is being encouraged to avoid non-essential travel.

Bri, your faith in human nature is greater than mine.          Sadly in all walks of life it is the small minority that spoil it for the vast majority

It would have been unimaginable last year to think that the residents of France would have to have a valid document just for leaving their own house.    Boris has given subtle hints already that if we don't help ourselves voluntarily then he may introduce measures that will help and he now has a precedent with other countries in Europe having taken the lead

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2117 on: March 21, 2020, 06:53:54 pm »
The legislation is already in place to levy punitive fines and penalties if people don't behave.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2118 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:49 am »
It was almost inevitable but hopefully walkers may be more responsible in future

Live Reporting
By Nicholas Bourne, Gemma Ryall and Ruth Thomas
posted at 8:398:39
Snowdonia car parks and trails may need to be shut
Snowdonia National Park has said yesterday's scenes were "unprecedented".

Chief executive of the Snowdonia National Park Authority Emyr Williams said: "The area has been overwhelmed with visitors.

"More worrying still is the significant crowding on the mountain summits and trails making it impossible to maintain effective social distancing."

The park said: "If no further steps are taken we will need to take drastic measures to protect the communities and health services in north Wales, such as shutting down car parks and trails."

Offline DVT

« Reply #2119 on: March 22, 2020, 10:03:07 am »
National Trust properties also closed - they had kept gardens open.

Bodnant had seen a big rise in visitor numbers the past week, partly due to better weather but also, suspected, to be because it was free.  I did go there on Thursday, not to do my usual duties, and it was obvious that many were oblivious to social distancing.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2120 on: March 22, 2020, 10:26:22 am »
I can't say that I'm a fan of Traffic Wardens but in this video taken from Pen Y Gwryd to Pen Y Pass  you can see clearly the continuous white line on the right hand side side of the road where the cars are parked    I wish that the Wardens would have done their duty yesterday and apart from raising additional money for the Council it would have served the motorists right
Just scroll down a bit to see the video

https://twitter.com/visitsnowdonia

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Walking ......... updated
« Reply #2121 on: March 22, 2020, 10:55:45 am »
I can't say that I'm a fan of Traffic Wardens but in this video taken from Pen Y Gwryd to Pen Y Pass  you can see clearly the continuous white line on the right hand side side of the road where the cars are parked    I wish that the Wardens would have done their duty yesterday and apart from raising additional money for the Council it would have served the motorists right
Just scroll down a bit to see the video

https://twitter.com/visitsnowdonia

I agree, re wardens, ... nice of the driver to post the film, but at the end, it shows them reversing and parking  &shake& in a keep clear area, one I believe, that is used by mountain rescue landrovers.

Mrs H just called through, Snowdonia's busiest day in living memory !

This Bala farmer made his thoughts known, but his tyres paid the price.    click to enlarge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2122 on: March 22, 2020, 11:07:04 am »
Well spotted Steve,  I didn't view the video to the end so the driver of the car wasn't that responsible either.

If the Welsh Government don't sort this out and /or the drivers don't act responsibly in the future then that's the answer:-    Send in the Traffic Wardens

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2123 on: March 22, 2020, 11:16:22 am »
Sadly, both this and the UK government seem experts in bolting empty stable doors.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #2124 on: March 22, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
It shouldn't be down to the government and authorities to sort this out ... it should be simple common sense on the part of everyone.

But, sadly, common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2125 on: March 22, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »
You are spot on DVT  but sadly incidents like the Covid 19 can bring the worst out of individuals as Snowdon highlighted.     Just take a look at the procession of people walking up the Pyg Track on Snowdon yesterday.
I've been up there many times in the Summer and never ever seen it like that.   They haven't all possibly arrived in a single occupancy vehicle and it's the likes of them that spoil it for everyone

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronavirus-snowdonia-chiefs-call-stricter-17961170

Seeing posts from Steve about the "Award of the week"   are very refreshing and restore some of your faith in human nature

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2126 on: March 22, 2020, 04:04:00 pm »
I noticed in this mornings news, famous London streets empty, but the numbers in the parks could not allow, the advised social distance.

Coronavirus: London parks closing as areas urge tourists to stay away.

Parks in part of London are being shut after criticism of large numbers of tourists visiting beaches and beauty spots.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan urged people to "stop social mixing", saying "people will die" if they don't.

Authorities in the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District asked people to stay away, saying "now is not the time for tourism".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51995092

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2127 on: March 23, 2020, 04:13:16 pm »
Snowdonia National Park shuts all car parks and warns it could go further to stop coronavirus spread
The authority says it could even go as far as to shut entire mountains down if people continue to ignore UK Government advice.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdonia-national-park-shuts-car-17966681

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2128 on: March 23, 2020, 05:00:04 pm »
Bring in the Traffic Wardens or even Kingdom Security and that will sort out those selfish idiots.

The Snowdonia National Park covers an area of  2,132 kmĀ²  so why do they go and spoil it for others

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2129 on: March 23, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »
I hope that the Mountain rescue team have not been exposed to any infection because of  this rescue

https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/18327532.man-west-midlands-second-rescued-snowdonia-space-day/