Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821385 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2085 on: January 02, 2020, 02:11:36 pm »
Poor old Steven from Leicester, he's had a hard time struggling to walk up Snowdon        Fancy the mountain going uphill straight away and never letting up,  that's shocking!            &shake&
Perhaps the Twit would be better off sticking to twitter or watching others do it on U tube.    The only good thing about his ordeal is that he did not call in the Mountain Rescue team who are inundated with calls from similar people who are ill prepared for mountain walking

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2086 on: January 02, 2020, 06:09:43 pm »
The Ranger path is far from being the easiest; he ought to have taken the Llanberis path, which is long but gentle.  But it's somewhat worrying when these people don't bother checking the weather conditions before climbing.  They were clearly unprepared - you can't learn mountain walking from websites - and they talk about being "physically and mentally exhausted, soaked through to the skin", which suggest no waterproofs and certainly no preparation for a 3500' climb in variable conditions.

They also suggest they were in fear for their lives ("We seriously did not think we would get of alive"), but continued upwards. Of course - walk towards the wind and rain and climb to where it can get you more easily. Madness.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2087 on: January 02, 2020, 06:51:07 pm »
That's the frightening part, he thought he had prepared, how many others think the same way and underestimate what they are letting themselves in for, I believe he is preparing his next trip, a long walk across the sands of West shore, after just missing a meet and greet with the mountain rescue, he fancies meeting the Coastguard team. :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2088 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52:12 am »
 $donald$  Wonderful!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2089 on: January 10, 2020, 11:21:37 am »
On Wednesday Tellytubby and I drove down the A470 to Ganllwyd and picked up old Uncle Albert on the way.  We've gone past this village many times and had not thought about having a walk in the area but Tellytubby had read about a walk that sounded quite interesting.
The walk was uphill from the black corrugated village hall, following the river to the Rhaeadr Ddu waterfalls and then up to the Cefn Coch goldmine.
We parked the car in the car park and crossed the A470 to the village hall but before we started the walk we had a look at the river from a bridge on the A470 and knew straight away that the walk would be a good one and it was.    This is a great waterside walk, taking you alongside the turbulent River Gamlan and past the magnificent Rhaeadr Ddu waterfalls.  In fact we had our first view of the waterfall after about 15 minutes walking time but then we crossed the wooden bridge and veered right towards the waterfalls which are two waterfalls which cascade over 60ft (18m).  This section was slippy but we took care on this section and stayed there for quite a while as it is one of the best waterfalls we have ever seen.   However we had to carry on the walk and went uphill through a delightful woodland  setting where thick wet moss formed a blanket everywhere.  Eventually we left the woodland and travelled uphill across pasture land before entering another wooded area and that took us up to the sides of the mountain and the ruins of the Cefn Coch goldmine
By the time we got there it was time for refreshments so we stopped and had them inside the ruins of the Stamping Mill but as the weather got cooler we decided to move on and  found the tramway above the mill and followed it to the entrance of the gold mine.    The mine itself was flooded but there was a metal gate inside it so we couldn't have gone in it anyway.
The old saying " there's gold in them there hills"  maybe true but we didn't find any but the views from up there are priceless.
It was then time to head down hill and we crossed open farmland before entering another steep woodland.   In the woods we came across three Highland cattle that were roaming freely and when the black one came trotting up to me I beat a quick retreat and took some photos of him from a safer distance.   The path then took us back to the start of the walk and  we then drove home .     It was our first walk of 2020 together and we couldn't have picked a better walk but sadly we don't know for certain when our next walk together will be.   I'm having an operation next Thursday and there may be some follow up treatment and old Uncle Albert is having ongoing medical treatment with a follow up possibly in February so we'll have to wait and see

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2090 on: January 10, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
Ganllwyd  Rhaeadr Ddu and Cefn Coch gold mine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2091 on: January 10, 2020, 11:32:29 am »
Ganllwyd  Rhaeadr Ddu and Cefn Coch goldmine

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2092 on: January 10, 2020, 01:08:43 pm »
Another nice travelogue Hugo, your quiz had me searching for tin chapels  :roll:  all the best for next Thursday to you and Albert .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2093 on: January 10, 2020, 02:02:12 pm »
Thanks very much Steve for your good wishes

I was wondering how you were getting on with your search for the building,  I don't know what it was originally but suspect that it was a Church or Chapel.       Bri Roberts got it very quickly so I'll have to make it a bit harder next time

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2094 on: January 10, 2020, 02:03:34 pm »
All the Best to you both. Hope all goes well.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2095 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:05 pm »
Sentiments echoed from me, too, Hugo.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2096 on: January 10, 2020, 04:27:17 pm »
Bri Roberts got it very quickly so I'll have to make it a bit harder next time

I was just lucky with my second guess, Hugo.  $lol$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2097 on: January 11, 2020, 10:35:44 am »
I am in full sympathy, this reminded me of a doctors appointment, for a steroid injection in my elbow joint, I think I emptied the waiting room.

A walker was airlifted to hospital after falling on some boulders.
Volunteers from Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team were called out by police to Dinorwig Quarry at around 1.10pm today.

The walker had taken a fall on slate boulders and fractured their ankle which was said to have "taken on a non-standard angle".
Mountain rescuers arrived in two Land Rovers and team doctors gave the casualty pain relief.

A reduction of the ankle, a way to stabilise the bone, was carried out but the casualty was said to be in so much pain that their "expletives" could be heard "on the opposite side of the valley".             ref DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2098 on: January 12, 2020, 11:04:10 am »
Thanks Nemesis and Ian for your thoughts, we'll be back!         As soon as possible we hope  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2099 on: February 11, 2020, 04:05:09 pm »
The idiots are still among us but these idiots happened to be on the top of Ben Nevis.    Thankfully there were no fatalities but I wonder what the Mountain Rescue teams really think of such stupidity
These volunteers risk their own safety every time they are called out on a rescue and it's not fair to them in cases like this but yet they still go out on the call.     I have nothing but praise and admiration for these Mountain Rescue teams and Mull used to be in the search and rescue team with his dog Fly until he recently retired from it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226