Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821004 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2055 on: October 03, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »
Don't tell the Swedes about Parkgate...…

They will send a little girl over to tell us it is due to climate change.

Online Hugo

« Reply #2056 on: October 04, 2019, 12:21:34 pm »
Excellent, one of your best accounts.        $thanx$

Thanks Steve,   I enjoyed the walk and the things we saw so much that I got a little carried away with the photos

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2057 on: October 07, 2019, 03:32:14 pm »
Thanks Steve,   I enjoyed the walk and the things we saw so much that I got a little carried away with the photos
[/quote]

Please keep getting carried away with the Photos Hugo. I really enjoyed looking at them and the accompanying account was just right  $thanx$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online Hugo

« Reply #2058 on: October 11, 2019, 01:50:19 pm »
Tourists are now flocking to Fairy Glen just to fall out with the farmer.         I've been on walks by Fairy Glen a number of times and every time we have had the same experience with the farmer, he's consistent at least

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tourists-now-flocking-fairy-glen-17068312

Online Hugo

« Reply #2059 on: October 17, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
By the time we arrived at Betws Y Coed yesterday the weather had picked up and it was bright and sunny, perfect conditions for a nice easy riverside walk.    We started the walk by the Information Centre and walked along the banks of the River Llugwy passing the old Royal Oak Farm along the way.    Just before the railway bridge, Tellytubby spotted a Heron in the water so we stopped to take some photos before carrying on along the footpath which then goes between the river and the Golf Course.  It wasn't long before we came to the confluence of the River Llugwy and the larger River Conwy and there we headed up the Conwy River until we came to some large stones in the water.     We stopped there for some photos and remarked how beautiful it was.    The golf course is just like a park and surrounded by hills and mature trees and so peaceful and quiet, only interrupted by the sound of a misplaced golf shot hitting the trees and ending up in the river.
A little further on we stopped and sat on a bench to have a drink and it overlooked a deep section of the river and out of the still waters popped a Cormorant which had been diving underwater looking for its food.    The path continued past the Church until we came to the small suspension bridge that crosses the river and we couldn't resist walking across the bouncy bridge but we returned across it and walked to Pont Y Pair and stopped there to have our refreshments.      After that we carried on walking along the banks of the River Llugwy until we came to the Miners Bridge and we crossed over that and up the steps to the A5 and walked back along the main road to Betws.     There is a nice little cafe just before Pont Y Pair so we stopped there for a nice latte and it was a good way of finishing a very pleasant walk

Online Hugo

« Reply #2060 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:52 am »
Betws Y Coed riverside walk

Online Hugo

« Reply #2061 on: October 20, 2019, 04:09:02 pm »
Rhuddlan sent me this link about the tunnel network that ends in Bagillt and is an add on to Hollins' interesting walk in that area in September

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/britains-longest-tunnel-network-lies-17103017#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare

Online Hugo

« Reply #2062 on: October 25, 2019, 03:23:52 pm »
It wasn't really a walk we had yesterday, it was just an excuse to have a lunch at the nearby Castell Deudraeth and then walk it off by having a stroll around the Portmeirion village.
We have stayed in the village before and are fascinated by everything there and yesterday, as a bonus the weather was perfect.   We made our way to the centre of the village to catch the land train which takes you through the high woodland and past the Japanese Garden.   It was a bit compact inside and the ride was quite bumpy so although it was nice that we tried it I was also glad to get off and see the rest of the village on foot
We walked along the coast past the hotel to the lighthouse, passing a building with a tower that George Harrison once stayed at.   The views to Porthmadog are good from the lighthouse and we then returned to the village through the woodland.
Then we made our way back to the car park and returned home after having had a great day out in a beautiful part of North Wales

Online Hugo

« Reply #2063 on: October 25, 2019, 03:25:46 pm »
Portmeirion Village

Offline hollins

« Reply #2064 on: October 25, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »
What a fab day out. Glad you enjoyed it Hugo. We stayed at Castell Deudraeth once years ago and then more recently in one of the cottages in the village. When I saw you quiz clues I recognised the fireplace first!

Online Hugo

« Reply #2065 on: October 25, 2019, 03:37:50 pm »
Thanks Hollins,  we really enjoyed the day out and we were lucky that the weather was so good.  That fireplace is something else, it's quite unique.
We haven't stayed in the Castle before but have stayed in Portmeirion in the village rooms.   The last time we stayed there, we were by the tower and the room had a double aspect with one window overlooking the estuary and the other over the village. It was a lovely experience

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2066 on: October 25, 2019, 03:42:50 pm »
I am glad you had the nice weather, and a great trip, every time I hear about these weekend breaks etc. I keep meaning to give some a try, and somehow forget, so between you and Hollins, you can start a getaway thread, maybe help get me moving.

By the way, the fireplace gave your quiz away, when I searched carved statue fire place, small pictures of the statues came up.

Online Hugo

« Reply #2067 on: October 25, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »
Now if you had taken advantage of the lunch offer Steve, then you would have seen the fireplace and wouldn't have had to Google it, but like everything it is only easy if you know it.
The meal was delicious and I had the oven baked Sea Bream as my main course, just wish that I could take photos of meals as good as Hollins does and it may have tempted you to give it a go

Online Hugo

« Reply #2068 on: October 31, 2019, 11:36:29 am »
Yesterday,  Tellytubby and I decided to do a local walk so we drove to the top of Sychnant Pass to do a walk on Conwy Mountain.   The forecast had been quite good but as soon as we got out of the car we felt the full force of a cold wind but it was just good to get out again,
We walked along the road enjoying fine views down to Capelulo and instead of following the road we took a very steep path uphill to Allt Wen.     About half way up we saw about 12 Choughs feeding on the ground but the buffeting wind prevented us from taking a decent photo of the birds, much to Tellytubby's annoyance.  Anyway we carried on and huffed and puffed our way to the summit and crossed the ramparts of this Iron Age hillfort to get a good view down to Penmaenmawr and beyond.
From there we made our way downhill passing Pen Pyra where we saw some Carneddau Mountain ponies grazing by the lake and we then made our way to a disused quarry that gave us commanding views across the Conwy Golf course to Deganwy and Llandudno.  Below this point was an impressive reservoir that must have had something to do with the quarry in its working days.  We had to retrace our steps through the heather and carried on on the Coastal Path to another Iron Age hillfort,  but before we reached Caer Seion we sought shelter from the wind behind a large boulder where we sat and had our refreshments.   Then it was another uphill climb to the fort and after having a good look around the area we returned to Sychnant Pass on the northern side of the ridge to get away from the relentless wind.   It didn't take us long to get back to the car and we finished the day off in a McDonalds for a nice hot coffee
Another good walk but next time I'll remember to pack my gloves and fleece hat as I would have been glad of them both today

Online Hugo

« Reply #2069 on: October 31, 2019, 11:43:58 am »
Conwy Mountain walk