Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821117 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #2040 on: September 27, 2019, 11:16:34 am »
Really sorry to hear that, Nem; amazing how we all take our mobility for granted until it disappears.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2041 on: September 27, 2019, 12:11:48 pm »
Wishing you all the best for a full recovery Nem; hope you are able to get out and about soon.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2042 on: September 27, 2019, 01:13:44 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that Nemesis and hope that you'll soon feel a lot better

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2043 on: September 27, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »
Thanks all, I am determined to get going, but too much too soon appears to make me ache all over  ))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2044 on: October 02, 2019, 04:48:46 pm »
Thanks all, I am determined to get going, but too much too soon appears to make me ache all over  ))*

I take it that you're not quite ready for the Haulfre steps then Nemesis!         At least you have done them many times before

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2045 on: October 03, 2019, 08:59:43 am »
Yesterday, Tellytubby and I took advantage of the break in the weather and had a nice walk on the Great Orme.  We set of from the West Shore and we were heading for Pigeon's Cove to see the Seal pups that were on the beach.  The route  took us past the Haulfre Gardens cafe and then past the Caersalem Chapel that was later converted into a grammar school where William Morris Hughes was educated. He later became the Premier of Australia from 1916 to 1923.
Then in Old Road we followed the tram lines up the steep incline to the traffic lights at the junction of Old Road and Ty Gwyn Road.  We stopped there for a breather and also to take a photo as I wanted to reflect on  how much that spot had changed in my lifetime.     The building on the left was a former Post Office and shop, while the unusual shaped building on the right was a grocery and provisions shop.  In Winter times that building has had a number of cars crashing into it because of the camber in the road, hence the bollards in front of the building for its protection,   During the great flood of 1993 it also took the full force of the torrent of water running down the Orme.
( see link below )
We then headed up Wyddfyd Road past the donkey field and Ski Centre and on to the public footpath leading to the Pink Farm.   The visibility today was perfect and we could see the Cumbrian hills and slightly to the west was the Isle of Man.   It wasn't long before we came to the Pink Farm and many years ago it was a busy cafe as well as a farm and you can still see the faint painting of "TEAS" on the roof of the building,      From there we took another less well trodden footpath that dropped steeply down to the Marine Drive and we then made our way to Pigeon's Cove.  As we descended to the cove we saw the RNLI  having an exercise nearby and when we got on to the ledge leading to the cove our way was blocked by two volunteers who were keeping visitors away on account of the Seal pups that were on the beach.      In fact the female volunteer had told the RNLI not to go any nearer the cove as they would be disturbing the pups and to be fair they should have known about the pups anyway.  We could only see one pup but as it was so far away it was impossible to take a photo of it.    We then climbed back up to the Marine drive and continued walking along it until we came to a bench where we had our refreshments in the Autumn sunshine.   After that we moved on and we saw two climbers, the female was scaling a vertical cliff face and made it look easy, but rather her than me as I couldn't and wouldn't want to have a go at that.   A little further on we saw a Stonechat, a beautiful little bird and it kept posing for us while we took its photo so Tellytubby was in his element as he is a dedicated bird watcher.
Then we went through the Happy Valley to the King's Head just as a tram was coming down the track and it was completely full of people enjoying the warm sunny day.  Then we carried on down Cwlach Street until we reached our cars parked at the West Shore.     It was a very pleasant walk and made you realise how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIJ3vmlcP4

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2046 on: October 03, 2019, 09:02:41 am »
Great Orme walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2047 on: October 03, 2019, 09:06:16 am »
Great Orme walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2048 on: October 03, 2019, 09:08:47 am »
Great Orme walk

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2049 on: October 03, 2019, 09:31:29 am »
Excellent, one of your best accounts.        $thanx$

Offline hollins

« Reply #2050 on: October 03, 2019, 03:09:47 pm »
Super photos Hugo and great to see the old photos against the present scene.

We too had a nice walk in the sun yesterday but we were on the Wirral.
We set off from the Boathouse pub in Parkgate and walked to West Kirby which is about 7 miles.
Most of the walk is on the old train track and we were looking across the estuary the whole time at the Flintshire coast where we had walked the previous week. The Duke of Lancaster being a prominent landmark across the water.
We stopped for a picnic lunch at Thurstaston where there is a visitor centre.
It is an excellent place for bird watchers.
The walk ended with the amazing sight people walking around the West Kirby Marine lake. We were shocked to see what looked like people walking on water!
Then a taxi back to Parkgate and an ice cream for Mr H from Nicholls ice cream shop.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2051 on: October 03, 2019, 03:29:21 pm »
Thanks Hollins,   I'm pleased that you had a nice walk on the Wirral yesterday.    It's not an area that I'm familiar with but it looks really nice there.
I'm sure that I saw a TV programme about Parkgate some years ago and it was a Victorian seaside resort but now the front has silted up and there is vegetation growing where the beach once was.
Walking on disused  railway tracks is quite fascinating and easy to do as they are mainly flat so we might even venture across the border one day to have a walk in the Wirral

Offline hollins

« Reply #2052 on: October 03, 2019, 03:55:08 pm »
I think you would like it. Easy level walking with plenty of history about the railway line and the bridges on info boards along the way.
There is a Wirral Circular walk around the whole coast but that will have to be done in small stages as it is 37 miles long!
I would definitely recommend the Wirral Country Park which has well maintained paths and very well signed.
You are right about Parkgate. The Parade now looks out onto grass instead of water although there are still ponds with lots of birds and wildlife to be viewed. The tables in the pub by the windows had bird watching books and binoculars on the window sills.
The first photo is from the terrace of the pub in Parkgate.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2053 on: October 03, 2019, 06:04:26 pm »

I take it that you're not quite ready for the Haulfre steps then Nemesis!         At least you have done them many times before

Yes, but it is a while ago ! I have actually managed to get to the car, with the frame, and we had a ride to Rhos, 1st time out apart from an ambulance ride for 3 months. It felt very strange.
As an aside the ride to Glan Clywd for another MRI in an ambulance was horrendous. Whoever thought of putting those ruts down the A470 should be shot. ?{}?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2054 on: October 03, 2019, 06:28:56 pm »
Thanks for all that info about the Wirral  Hollins, it sounds very inviting.   Shame about Parkgate and the beach but it's happening all over the place nowadays