Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820721 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #2010 on: April 14, 2019, 02:40:43 pm »
Yesterday Tellytubby, Rhuddlan and I did a walk in the Dyserth area and we all met at the car park at the far end of the village where the old railway station used to be..   We dropped down to the Afon Ffyddion and followed it downstream, walking past the masses of wild garlic that were only just coming into flower and headed for a spot that is so peaceful and tranquil that I never get fed up of visiting the place.     The cliffs,  cave systems and the fast flowing river make it a place of special interest and the wild garlic abounds nearby.
We moved on and crossed over the old railway bridge and walked across Maes Hiraddug Nature Reserve ( SSSI)  back to the main road.  There were a few Cowsips growing in the fields but in a few weeks time this place will be a mass of colour with wild orchids and numerous other flowers and plants in abundance.
We then crossed the main road to a public footpath that took us across open farmland to Marian Mills just stopping on route to look at a collection of cars in an open garage and then we walked along a tarmac lane passing the ruins of Grove Mill,  one of at least 7 mills that were built along the side of the fast flowing Afon Ffyddion.  It wasn’t much further before we came to Felin Fawr  (Eng  Big Mill ) and we could see all that remains of a massive waterwheel that was once on the side of Felin Fawr.
That was the furthest point of the walk so we all sat on a bench overlooking the river and had our lunch there.    We took a slightly different route returning back to the car park and walked along what would have been a proposed railway track from Dyserth to Marian Mills and our path took us through some thorn bushes which were in full blossom and we carefully made our way through them and then returned to the main road.
Tellytubby and Rhuddlan had done the walk many times with the field club so it was interesting to hear all about the facts and history of the mills and Rhuddlan later sent me a fascinating link about the mills that were in the Dyserth area years ago

https://www.dyserth.com/mills.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2011 on: April 14, 2019, 02:42:58 pm »
Dyserth to Marian Mills walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2012 on: July 05, 2019, 05:14:45 pm »
I hadn't had a walk with my walking friends for over 2 months now due to a trapped nerve in my back, but yesterday they arranged a walk  at Gwaith Powdwr   ( Powder Works ) in Penrhyndeudraeth.      They said that it was a relatively short walk on the flat so I had no apprehensions about the walk but as the site was previously for making explosives and there had but some fatal accidents there when the factory was working I let Tellytubby lead the way and I kept a safe distance behind 
It's an interesting site with a few buildings remaining but most were closed because they were habited by Bats, but the ones we saw were quite impressive especially the pendulum.   
There was a man made pond on the site and we spent some time watching the Dragonflies and other insects flying about but they didn't stop long enough for us to get a photo of them so we moved on and sat on a bench to have our lunch and admire the stunning scenery all around.   It was a hot sunny day and the visibility was excellent with views over the river to Harlech and behind us to the Cnicht and the mountains around it and to Snowdon in the distance.
I've attached the link Hollis provided which describes the place better than I could ever do but the only thing is that the reserve does not supply you with a map so it's a case of trial and error.
After a good look around we drove to Pont Croesor  RSPB  reserve and stayed there to watch the Ospreys that have been nesting nearby for many years.     We didn't see any Ospreys in flight but we did see them through binoculars and on the web cam that is above the nest.    After that we returned to old Uncle Albert's house where we enjoyed tea and cakes and a great lot of banter too.
It was a lovely way to end a nice day out and for me personally it was good to be out again.   My legs and back stood the test but I found getting in the car hard even though it's a relatively big car so I've given up any aspirations of owning a sports car

https://geotopoi.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/gwaith-powdwr/

Offline hollins

« Reply #2013 on: July 05, 2019, 05:18:37 pm »
Great to see you out and about again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2014 on: July 05, 2019, 05:21:57 pm »
Powder Works Penrhyndeudraeth

Offline hollins

« Reply #2015 on: July 25, 2019, 04:58:04 pm »
For our first visit to the Elan valley we deciced to do the circular walk around the Garreg-Ddu Reservoir. We started and finished at Nantgwyllt Church where there is a car park. The walk is just over 6 miles and begins through ancient woodland. At the top point is Penybont Bridge where there was a very welcome tea room.
We then walked up to the top of the impressive Pen y Garreg dam before walking back along the Elan valley trail on the other side of the reservoir which used to be a railway line.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2016 on: July 25, 2019, 05:01:43 pm »
Sorry this is in the Walking in North Wales but I can't find a general walking thread.
Part 2, walking in Mid Wales!
Garreg-Ddu Reservoir.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2017 on: July 25, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
It's great area for walks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2018 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:06 pm »
That sounds like a really nice walk Hollins with great views and some interesting buildings along the way.  It's always nice to find some tea rooms too. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2019 on: July 31, 2019, 03:18:00 pm »
Yesterday we went for a walk in Mid Wales to the Hafod Estate, it has been featured on "Weatherman Walking" and looked a nice, interesting walk with lots to see.     Tellytubby had been there before with Rhuddlan and two friends and could vouch for the fact that it was well worth the journey down there.
On the computer it is 97 miles away from Colwyn Bay but possibly not with Tellytubby driving the car.    We were cruising down the A470 and just outside Dolgellau when Tellytubby  took an unscheduled turning and took us on a wacky races trip through a narrow winding lane that eventually ended in Llanfachraeth and exactly outside the start of the "Old Precipice Walk" and that's a walk that is easy and has spectacular panoramic views down the Mawddach Estuary.
The weather up to then was perfect, being sunny and warm with good visibility so we were looking forward to doing our long anticipated walk in the Hafod Estate which was still some distance away.
As we were getting nearer to Hafod the weather turned and the rain came down, slowly at first and then getting worse the nearer we got to the start of the walk.    When we arrived there the rain was heavy so we went and had a look at the Church there and hoped that the rain would have stopped by the time we came out of the Church but when we came out it hadn't and was in fact worse than before.
Anyway we made the decision to start the walk and despite the conditions we did enjoy the things that we saw.  It's a delightful woodland walk that took us to the Peiran Falls and a wide path took us over a rustic bridge then past the Gothic Arch to the Chain Bridge.  The notice on the Bridge said only two people allowed on it at any one time, so we let Tellytubby test the bridge and when we knew it was safe old Uncle Albert and I crossed over it.   The weather was horrendous, we had kept our best cameras in the car and because we were not sure of the route we often stopped to refer to the paper map that we had and eventually that map disintegrated with the rain.     At that point we decided to abandon the walk and headed back to the car but stopped and had our refreshments in the porch of the Church and when we had finished lunch headed uphill to the car.
A quick change of clothes and the we headed for home just stopping at the old Dyfi Foundry to look at the water wheel and then at the cafe in Corris for a nice hot Latte.     When we arrived in Colwyn Bay we were greeted by a long spell of thunder and lightning but at least we didn't have any of that in mid Wales.
We'll return there again but when we have a better weather forecast but it's the company that makes these walks enjoyable

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2020 on: July 31, 2019, 03:24:34 pm »
A wet day out in Hafod Estate

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #2021 on: July 31, 2019, 06:04:28 pm »
Many thanks for those pictures Hugo wetted my appetite, it's a shame you had such bad weather still as you said the company was good .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2022 on: August 01, 2019, 06:36:14 am »
Thanks Spotty Dog, we all enjoy the walks but it's the good company and the banter that makes it a good day out.      We only saw a small part of what's on offer at Hafod Estate so we will go back again as soon as the cascade is open
I've attached a link so that you can see what is on offer there

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/weatherman-walking/walks/Hafod.pdf

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2023 on: August 03, 2019, 12:39:40 pm »
Hugo, I thought you would like this picture, after your recent footbridge journey, idiots jammed the car, then set it alight, early this morning in Flintshire.                                                                                               ref DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2024 on: August 03, 2019, 02:56:52 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me what depths some people go to and I don't think that the Police will catch the idiots.        I bet that it's not too far from where they live or where they collect their benefits from.