Author Topic: Walking  (Read 821021 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1935 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:18 pm »
Talacre walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1936 on: May 05, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
Sadly a woman hiker in her 40's from South Wales has died after having fallen on Glyder Fawr in Snowdonia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-44006365

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1937 on: May 10, 2018, 03:33:13 pm »
Yesterday, with a fairly good weather forecast we decided to meet in Surf Snowdonia to do a walk that we had done a few times before.  The walk is described in Chris Draper's book of walks in the Conwy Valley and is called "bobl y topiau and the lost village of Ardda"  but we now take the easy option using two cars, one parked in Surf Snowdonia and the other at the start and highest point of the walk.  It's then a fairly easy walk to do but we just wanted to see the Bluebells that are in masses along certain parts of the track
So we set off and Tellytubby drove his car, with me in the back and old Uncle Albert in the front passenger seat.  You take the Crafnant Road and then turn right at the lane marked Ardda, this is a narrow, windy and steep road and a few hundred yards further up is a fork in the road where we take the right fork in the road to Ardda.    Anyway, Tellytubby must have been looking elsewhere as he went left and up another even narrower, windier and steeper track and we realised that we were on the wrong road.  With no passing places or turning circles we had to continue on the track heading to Llyn Cowlyd and must have gone a few miles before finding a place to turn around in. Still the scenery was nice to see as a passenger but Tellytubby had to keep his eyes on the road this time.  About 20 minutes later we arrived at the starting point of the walk and parked the car opposite Blaen Y Wern Cottage.  When we got out of the car we were freezing as there was a cold wind blowing and we were all dressed in shorts with our Winter gear still at home   The walk from there is straightforward and we passed the derelict  Capel Ardda and then followed the leat until it went into a tunnel and we then headed uphill  until we came to the track and turned right to follow the pipeline.   We soon came to the spot where we had previously seen masses of Bluebells but this time there were very few and we must have been at least two weeks too early to see them.  That was disappointing to say the least but we carried on to the pipeline and walked about half way down it and had our refreshments by a building that had superb views of the valley below us.    After having had something to eat and drink we decided to end our walk and go through the woods alongside the pipes and it is very steep indeed. Luckily for us the ground was dry so we took our time going down and only Tellytubby had a slight tumble but we all arrived safe and sound and headed for Surf Snowdonia where we enjoyed a nice hot chocolate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1938 on: May 10, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »
Ardda Walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1939 on: May 17, 2018, 03:27:30 pm »
Yesterday we did a walk to see the Lakes and Woods of Tan Y Bwlch.  Tellytubby and I met Uncle Albert at the Oakely Arms in Maentwrog and then drove uphill to the car park at the end of Llyn Mair. From there we crossed the road and followed the well defined track to walk alongside Llyn Mair.   It's a pretty man made lake which had loads of Water Lilies on the surface ready to flower in the Summer. Towards the end of the lake we followed the path uphill crossing the Ffestiniog to Porthmadog miniature railway line and passed an unusual looking property called Hafod Y Llyn.    We deviated from our planned route and took a lower path to Llyn Trefor  and we were lucky to have superb views over the Afon Dwyryd and the Maentwrog Valley down to Porthmadog.
We had our refreshments on a bench overlooking the small man made lake called Llyn Trefor and watched the young ducklings swimming nearby.   
Before long it was time to move on and the remainder of the track was steep or rough caused by the forest vehicles going over it. Then it was a steep downhill descent to Llyn  Hafod Y Llyn which is another pretty man made lake. We followed the path to the B4410 and then walked along the road until we got to the Tan Y Bwlch railway station and had a coffee there and waited for the 14.10 train to Blaenau to arrive .  It's a lovely little station and very well kept and when the trains came in we were very impressed to see how packed with passengers thet were.
From the station it's a short walk downhill to the car park but the day wasn't finished as Tellytubby and I headed for Plas Tan Y Bwlch and we had a good look around the gardens there. The Rhododendrons were out in all their glory and I have never ever seen them as big as they were at Plas Tan Y Bwlch but then it was time to head home after another lovely day out walking

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1940 on: May 17, 2018, 03:30:13 pm »
Tan Y Bwlch Lakes and Woodlands

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1941 on: June 04, 2018, 06:29:58 pm »
Gwynant,  I was wondering if you still go on walks following that hip operation that you had a while ago?    I remember that you said that Windows 10 updates had made a mess of your photo collection and I can sympathise with that as I've recently had a Windows 10 update against my instructions and my Picassa 3 records were in a mess.
I think that they are finally sorted out now but it was so annoying and frustrating trying to figure out what has happened to them

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1942 on: June 04, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
Gwynant,  I was wondering if you still go on walks following that hip operation that you had a while ago?    I remember that you said that Windows 10 updates had made a mess of your photo collection and I can sympathise with that as I've recently had a Windows 10 update against my instructions and my Picassa 3 records were in a mess.
I think that they are finally sorted out now but it was so annoying and frustrating trying to figure out what has happened to them

Hi Hugo,  Yes  I still go on walks but not as long or as strenuous as I used   to a few years ago!  My hip op was a great success and I usually get out for a walk at least once a fortnight and I'm on my bike every morning for a 5 mile ride round the town every morning when the weather permits.
       We usually do something on the Anglesey Coastal Path or a circular from a village with a car park like Llanefyd etc. I don't post them now as after my unrequested update to Windows 10 I lost all my photos and gave up on my computer altogether and bought a small tablet which I use to keep up on my e-mails and the forum etc and as I am a qualified fully paid-up technophobe I have no idea how to transfer photos to my tablet and post them! I always read and enjoy your posts and photos on this thread, some of the walks I have done and some I earmark for the future. Sorry to hear about your problems with your photos, I hope you are now sorted out. Keep posting your walks and photos!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1943 on: June 04, 2018, 10:26:54 pm »
Thanks Gwynant,  I'm pleased that your hip operation was such a success and that you're keeping fit doing the walks and cycling too.
It's so frustrating when things go wrong on the computer and especially when it is not of your making.
I was quite mad with it this afternoon and was on the verge of calling out an IT engineer but more by luck than judgement I was able to resolve it myself.
How long it will last is another matter

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1944 on: June 08, 2018, 03:54:40 pm »
It was a beautiful day in Porthmadog on Wednesday so when old Uncle Albert suggested a walk there we were quite relieved when we found out that it was a short and not too strenuous walk.
We started it from Morfa Bychan and walked past the Golf course along the main road to Porthmadog but after a short while took a footpath through a wood and came out in the pretty village of Borth Y Guest and then followed the path uphill to Porthmadog.   The road was set high on the hillside and gave some stunning views of the harbour and surrounding mountains.   To get down to the harbour we had to walk down some steep stone steps, about 81 steps in total so it was a good job that we were walking down them and not walking up them as it was getting hotter by the minute.
We crossed over the bridge and had our refreshment on a bench overlooking the lagoon before walking around the lagoon and heading for Spooners, the pub in the railway station in Porthmadog.
After a nice refreshing pint there we headed on back to Morfa Bychan following the coastal path through Borth Y Guest and on the way we passed some stunning properties, many with panoramic views of the mountains and estuary.   Where the path reaches the golf course there is a beautiful sandy beach which never seems to be crowded, probably because it is some distance from a car park!
We followed the path back to Morfa Bychan where we were treated to tea and some nice cakes at old Uncle Albert's house and what a nice way to end a very pleasant walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1945 on: June 08, 2018, 03:58:54 pm »
Morfa Bychan to Porthmadog walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1946 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
Yesterday I met up with old Uncle Albert in Capel Curig to do a walk in the area.  The temperature was already in the mid 20C's and rising as we set off in our shorts and T-shirts and wide brimmed hats and we hadn't gone far before we came to a woodland area so we were grateful for the shade the trees provided
Our walk was from the Pinnacles shop in Capel Curig across the moorland to the head of the Crafnant Valley and then down to the lake and a walk around Llyn Crafnant before retracing our way back to Capel Curig.   
It seemed a while before we reached a viewpoint at the head of the Crafnant Valley but the views from it are worth the effort of getting there.   When we were there the last time the conditions couldn't have been more different, then it was Winter time and we had snow, hail, rain and sleet all at the same time it was just atrocious.    Rhuddlan fell flat on the muddy ground but thankfully only his pride was hurt, although his umbrella was damaged beyond repair
After taking a few photos we descended into the valley and walked along the lake to the far end where we had our refreshments sitting in the shade of an overhanging tree by the lakeside.
The heat was building up gradually and the thought of the steep ascent at the other end of the valley looked daunting but it had to be done.   Thankfully the track on the other side of the lake gave us protection from the Sun until we got to the end of the lake and then it was open moorland.    It looked like there hadn't been a lot of rain in the area, but as we approached one stream there were a few Carneddau ponies having a drink there and they moved away as we continued on the path over the stream.
We were both glad when we got back to the cars as the temperature was about 29C and very uncomfortable.  I had probably dehydrated a bit on the walk because when I got home I just couldn't stop drinking but we did enjoy the walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1947 on: June 27, 2018, 11:28:19 am »
Capel Curig to Llyn Crafnant

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1948 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:23 am »
I wouldn't fancy this, I think that I'd prefer the walk down instead, it's more suited for the action man than for me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-kent-44664719/wingsuit-flyer-in-snowdon-close-proximity-feat

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1949 on: July 12, 2018, 12:56:17 pm »
Yesterday we went to Penmaenpool to do the Mawddach Trail walk.    It's a lovely walk along a disused railway track that closely follows the River Mawddach to Barmouth and is situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty.   We had checked the weather forecast and it was dry all day so we decided to travel light with just a couple of bottles of water each, suncream, hat, shorts, T-shirts  and trainers and drove along the A470 but when we came to Blaenau Ffestiniog we thought that we had become too complacent with the weather as it started to rain.  The rain increased as we got to Trawsfynydd and picked up old Uncle Albert. 
So there we were with no wet weather gear with us but luckily for us the rain soon stopped and it turned out into perfect walking weather, not too hot or sunny so we parked the car by the  wooden toll bridge at Penmaenpool and started the walk from there.
One thing we noticed immediately was the lack of water in the area, the river was very low and the trees were all shedding their leaves just like they do in Autumn.
We have done this walk once before and you just follow the track to Barmouth but this time we wanted to make a detour at Arthog to see Mawddach Terrace which has been in the news recently.    The residents of the terrace have put gates across the entrance to the terrace and put numerous signs up saying it is private property and walkers must use a public footpath behind the terrace.  This has been quite controversial and a recent Court case has ruled in favour of the ramblers as it has been a right of way for at least 100 years.
Anyway we crossed through the front of the properties without any problems.   The terrace is in quite a unique spot with stunning views across the river to the mountains of Snowdonia and I must be honest that if I lived there I would want the place to myself and not see walkers going past.  Yesterday it must have seemed like the Last of the Summer wine when Tellytubby, Uncle Albert and I passed along in front of their properties.
This shortcut past the terrace brings you to the start of the iconic wooden railway bridge into Barmouth and as you walk along the bridge you have panoramic views of the pretty town of Barmouth and the Mawddach Estuary.    When we got to Barmouth we were ready for something to eat so we headed straight away to the Mermaid Cafe where we enjoyed a delicious Fish and Chips lunch.
We had a look around the town and then it was time to catch the bus back to Penmaenpool.    Going on the bus was a bit like wacky races, it was a fast, very fast ride, the driver wasn't a bad driver but he would give Lewis Hamilton a run for his money.    Across the toll bridge ( 20p for pedestrians)  and straight to the George III Hotel where we enjoyed a pint on the balcony overlooking the river.   The it's back home along the A470 to Trawsfynydd to drop off old Uncle Albert but it was there that I had another senior moment, I had left my sunglasses on the balcony of the hotel in Penmaenpool, so poor old Tellytubby had to drive back to the hotel so that I could get the sunglasses back.    A 27 mile return journey and not a swear word throughout but these things happen from time to time but it did not spoil our overall day out.