Author Topic: Walking  (Read 820698 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1875 on: September 01, 2017, 08:31:08 am »
Gwynant,  I was wondering how you are as I haven't heard about any walks that you have done.     I hope that your hip is still good and that you are able to get about on your walks.
I haven't done so many this year for one reason or another but the ones we have done have been really enjoyable and not too difficult.

I was wondering how you were too Gwynant. Hope all is well. We need more quiz questions!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1876 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »
My daughter came visiting, so we had a mixture of a drive and a walk on Wednesday, featuring a beach day at Treaddur Bay. Lovely coves around there.
I went for my first look at South Stack, the whole scene was simply stunning.
Safe House. A programme on ITV at 9pm on Thursday might be worth you watching Fester. I've only seen a few glimpses of the adverts for the programme tonight but that looks very much like the old "Adams Family"  type house just out of the resort and the sea scenes look very familiar.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1877 on: September 01, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »
That path is very close to the edge Fester, not suitable for the faint hearted.     Did you go down the steps to the lighthouse?

I was VERY close to the edge Hugo, it's the only way to get the cliff and the water in shot.
Mrs F was very annoyed with me, my daughter didn't give a toss.  Typical eh?

By the way, I wish Admin would rotate my pics!

Your wish...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:19:40 pm by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1878 on: September 02, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »
Gwynant,  I was wondering how you are as I haven't heard about any walks that you have done.     I hope that your hip is still good and that you are able to get about on your walks.
I haven't done so many this year for one reason or another but the ones we have done have been really enjoyable and not too difficult.
          Hugo and Hollins, firstly I must apologise for not replying to your recent posts, I have been away in Tenby for a few days and not doing my daily check-up on the Forum as the Wi-fi was very inconsistent in the hotel, and today was the first time I could get any real time to have a look at Recent Posts.
         In answer to your questions, yes I am still getting in some walks but mainly low-level, although we did do Carnedd  Llewelyyn last year on Brexit Referendum Day! We have been doing a lot on the Anglesey Coastal path, including the Holyhead Mountain circular taking in South Stack and Porth Dafarch, and also  Cemaes to Bull Bay and Moelfre to Pentraeth. Also we did the Ogwen to Port Penrhyn walk a couple of days after the old railway tunnel reopened in Tregarth but we didn't meet the weirdo in the tunnel!
         We have also done some walks in the Denbigh, Llanefydd and Llanfair TH areas, but I haven't posted any photos as my computer never recovered from the attempt by Windows 10 to install itself (without my permission!), and I lost all my photos etc and now I use a small tablet and have'nt worked out how to take and post photos on that yet..
           My new hip is fine but I am starting to get a bit if gyp with the other one now, but I'm OK  on easy walks and also on my bike and I use it every day when the weather is suitable.
            Thank you both for your kind messages and I will continue to follow your posts on walks and holidays and quiz questions with interest, and maybe get some correct answers occasionally!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1879 on: September 02, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »
It was nice to hear that you are keeping well and getting about,   You have done some really good and interesting walks and it' a change when they are not too strenuous and you can appreciate them more.  We are tending to do easier walks as well but I'd like to go up Snowdon once the tourists have gone.
Tenby is a beautiful place for a holiday, it's one of our favourites so I hope that you've enjoyed  your time there and that the weather  was good too.

As for Windows 10    :rage:        I had no end of trouble and expense when it switched from Windows 7 without my permission bur touch wood, I'm getting used to it now.
I believe that Nemesis had the same problem but when hers changed to Windows 10 she was able to switch back to Windows 7     $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1880 on: September 02, 2017, 01:38:47 pm »
Thank goodness !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1881 on: October 08, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
Despite the gloomy weather forecast for yesterday,  four of us met up in Trawsfynydd to do the Cwm Prysor railway walk.   The railway line is an incredible piece of Victorian engineering and the track is carved into the hillside high above the beautiful valley but the highlight of the route is the 105 feet high, nine-arched Viaduct which was built in 1882.    The line closed in the early 1960's when part of the valley was flooded (including some of the track) and became a water supply for Liverpool (Llyn Celyn). The railway was once the only way to get between the two towns before the A4212 road was built in 1964 (as part of the deal with Liverpool).
It’s a linear walk that requires two cars so we parked one of the cars in a lay by on the A4212  and drove the other car to another layby  at the top of the valley for the start of the walk.   The first part of the walk is through a cutting and is always boggy but as we have had a lot of rain recently it was worse than we expected and small waterfalls were everywhere.     After just over half a mile we came to the viaduct which is the most substantial single structure on the line and it is sharply curved, necessitating the provision of a check rail in its active railway days.
We stopped to take some photos at the viaduct from the field below and I noticed that the Arenig Gold Mine now looks completely overgrown and water was pouring out of it so we didn’t venture inside it.
After walking back up we followed the track downhill and came to Castell Prysor and as we stopped in the mist to take a photo of it the resident Peregrine Falcon emerged and flew overhead as if it was keeping its eye on the four of us.   The views to the Arenigs and Rhinogs from the track are normally superb but yesterday the clouds were low and the rain had started to come in so they weren't as good.
A bit further along we came to an old brick built building and stopped inside it to have our refreshments and also some protection from the light rain.
After a while we continued on our way going under a stone bridge and trying to avoid yet another boggy section but at least the rain had gone.   We continued on the line until it came to an end (the next section was overgrown and fenced off)  but at least our car was only yards away.
We then drove back to the other car and then to a cafe near the former nuclear power plant where we each enjoyed a coffee.and I had a large wedge of Victoria cake.   It was a nice way to finish off a good walk of some five and a half miles even if we were wet and dirty after it.

I've attached a link that shows some photos of the old railway and surroundings:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjf3O-DqOHWAhWCzhoKHfjaACMQtwIIKDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9jJtnZWCoLk&usg=AOvVaw1Fu4QL2gUjjXUqncb_LcnX

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1882 on: October 08, 2017, 04:22:06 pm »
Cwm Prysor Railway Walk

Offline hollins

« Reply #1883 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:09 am »
Lovely to see one of your walks again and glad you enjoyed it despite the grotty weather.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1884 on: October 09, 2017, 11:54:23 am »
Thanks Hollins,  it was nice to get out again with the guys as it has been nearly two months since our last walk together.     The rain wasn't too bad and didn't come down really heavy until we were in the car, so we were quite lucky.
The worst part of the route was from the start through the cutting before you reach the viaduct, it was extremely boggy so we had to be careful where we put our feet, but it was still a very enjoyable walk and we'll possibly be doing it again next year

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1885 on: October 09, 2017, 03:43:14 pm »
I enjoy reading about your walks Hugo. Nice to have a few mates that share your passion for it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1886 on: October 09, 2017, 05:56:21 pm »
Thanks very much for your comments mondie.       We all met through work and share the common interest of walking, although nowadays we tend to do less energetic walks in the mountains and more leisurely and interesting walks instead.
I'm so lucky to be able to share the walks with my friends as they each have various interests and have something to add to these walks and apart from that the banter we have between us is priceless

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1888 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:01 am »
A woman who went up Snowdon in winds of 125 mph had to be rescued when she was blown off the path during Storm Brian     
Thank goodness none of the Mountain Rescue team were injured in the rescue, oh and that her injuries were not as serious as they could have been

https://newsdesk.moreover.com/click/?p=Q1QyL2E9MzIyMzk2MTg1NzAmcD0xNGUmdj0xJng9NkRpLW81QWFOQWRxTEV3cWRUZGpadyZ1MT1ORCZ1Mj1nMTEwOA&a=32239618570&f=TmV3cw&s=ZXhwb3J0&u=ZXIubmV3bWVkaWFAYmJjLmNvLnVr&cn=QkJDIE5FV1MgT05MSU5F&ci=334&i=283&e=Tm9ydGggV2FsZXMgRGFpbHkgUG9zdA&d=685&t=3&k=36145&fi=119597&ac=&ck=5a2adcac0b3d6594ad056f83e339b9d0

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1889 on: October 23, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
You're too kind. I'm not sure I could feel as charitable .
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.