Author Topic: Walking  (Read 840580 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1575 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:47 am »
Good to see your back out and about bri ,  :-*

Offline Jack

« Reply #1576 on: July 17, 2015, 05:02:03 pm »
Glad you are out and about again Hugo  :D

I'd only heard of Wepre after seeing a TV programme earlier this year when Iolo Williams explored the area.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1577 on: July 17, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »
Thanks Jack,  I saw the programme on TV too and that's why I wanted to go there.    There is a walk of about 7 miles in the park but I went for the shorter one as everything I wanted to see was there.
I had a list of things  to see and Tellytubby who has been there a number of times found them all for me.   I'd certainly recommend Wepre Park for families with young children as there is so much for them to do?       $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1578 on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:22 pm »
Yesterday I met Wayne  (AKA   Uncle Albert ) in the car park at the eastern end of Llyn  Dinas for the start of our circular walk to Beddgelert and Cwm Bychan.     It was quite cold when we set of on the walk,  but at least it was dry after having had a few days of rain.   We crossed the bridge over the fast flowing Afon Glaslyn and walked past the Sygryn Copper mine  and then along the narrow road to Beddgelert.    This narrow country lane must have been a main road at one time as we came across an old milestone along the route.    Soon we came to the village of Beddgelert that was bustling with tourists enjoying themselves but we avoided them and took the quieter route to Aberglaslyn Pass.   The Fisherman’s Path was breathtakingly beautiful  as the clear waters raced over the boulders in the river. No wonder it’s one of the most photographed places in the area.    We had started to get quite warm by then so when we got to the picnic area in Nantmor we took the fleeces off and enjoyed our refreshments before we set off for the climb up Cwm Bychan.
There must have been a crushing mill somewhere near this picnic area as the ore from the silver lead  mining was transported down hill by the aerial ropeway whose towers still stand higher up in Cwm Bychan.  After refreshments we headed uphill passing theses rusting pylons and a collection of equally rusting buckets and other bits that lay in the bracken.     It wasn’t long before we got to the top of Cwm Bychan and then followed the stony path down to Llyn Dinas.    The path became very steep and there were times when the old back was jarred by the high stone steps near the end of the path but it was worth it to see those fantastic views over the lake to Snowdon and the other mountains in the distance.
Back at the car park we chatted and arranged another walk for next week, weather permitting of course

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1579 on: July 31, 2015, 08:27:31 pm »
Beddgelert & Cwm Bychan

Offline mull

« Reply #1580 on: July 31, 2015, 09:01:47 pm »
I enjoy being on Mull but still wish I could join you on some of the walks.
Never mind one day.....
Next week got to take my grandaughter back to North Yorkshire then next weekend head for Arran for Search dog training.
Hope to visit 3 Towns area before end of year.
Need to sort out the family tree, Llandudno, Penrhynside, Conwy. That could take a while but would be interesting.
Keep sending the walk reports in .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1581 on: July 31, 2015, 10:01:22 pm »
Thanks Mull, but I don't think that I could keep up with you, you're far to fit.       You'd have to send one of your search dogs out to rescue me.      ;D
Hope that you can make it to the Three Towns this year.     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1582 on: August 07, 2015, 05:10:31 pm »
Yesterday we set off from the car park in Capel Curig behind the Pinnacles Cafe to do a walk to Llyn Crafnant.   We crossed the A5 and walked alongside St Curig's Church before we came to a path that takes you through woodland and onto wet moorland.  The path is well defined and easy to follow but has an uneven stony surface so you have to be careful especially as it was wet following the recent rain.    At the wooden bridge we followed the track on the left which goes  off towards the col for a steady climb. When you reach it, then you are rewarded with views of Creigiau Gleision and Llyn Crafnant.     We stopped there for a drink and also to allow a party of dozens of foreign tourists to get ahead of us.      The descent to the valley is quite steep but easy to walk down and after a short while we came to the tarmac lane that we followed downhill towards the Crafnant Cafe.    The old Chapel that we passed on our way down to the cafe seems to get worse every time we see it, it seems a shame because it's in a great position for a property.
Turning down to the cafe we had some drinks by the waterside while Ian insisted on having a large chunk of Victoria Sponge cake which he said was delicious.  We ate our sandwiches by the monument at the end of the lake and then returned on the other side of the lake.  A lot of fish were rising in the water but surprisingly saw little in the way of other wild life.  We didn't see any of the Carneddau ponies either, although we did see plenty of evidence that they had visited the area.     It didn't take long before we came to the end of the lake and then we had the steep pull up the grassy slopes and then to the stony path that took us back to Capel Curig.  The weather had continued to improve steadily during the day and the views back were superb with Moel Siabod being clearly visible as was the Snowdon Horseshoe although the summit was still shrouded in cloud.    Another stop at the Pinnacle Cafe completed a very pleasant walk.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1583 on: August 07, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »
Capel Curig to Llyn Crafnant

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1584 on: August 12, 2015, 05:46:32 pm »
Today Tellytubby and I took advantage of the beautiful warm weather and had a very enjoyable local walk.   We started in the West Shore and walked along the cycle track towards Deganwy but it wasn't long before the cycle track stopped and the slow walk over the sand began.  Cyclists were still using the track but instead of cycling they all had to carry their bikes over a long section of the dunes.
The path became better after the last groyne and it wasn't long before we came to the Deganwy Promenade.   The Promenade repairs looked really good and all that remains to be done following the storms appears to be work to the old shelter.   
The promenade was packed with visitors enjoying the sunshine and watching the many boats go by and there were numerous artists there adding a continental feel to the place.
We continued along the cycle track and then crossed over the railway track before heading uphill past the All Saints Church to the Vardre where we stopped and had our refreshments while enjoying the superb views from there.
Deganwy Castle was just across the field and that was where we headed next and had a quick view from the top at the surrounding properties,  before walking downhill through Gannock Park.   At the main road we turned right and went over the railway bridge that led us back to the cycle track which we then followed back to the West Shore. The sunny weather had certainly drawn out the crowds and it was nice to see so many people taking advantage of this glorious day.    A coffee and tea and a large slice of coffee and walnut cake at St David's Hospice finished of a very pleasant and easy walk of just under 6 miles.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1585 on: August 12, 2015, 05:50:27 pm »
West Shore to Deganwy

Offline hollins

« Reply #1586 on: August 12, 2015, 05:53:18 pm »
Great pictures Hugo. I like the one of the man on the chair.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1587 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:13 pm »
Thanks Hollins, it was a good walk in such fantastic weather.  Hope that you are enjoying your time over there 

Offline mull

« Reply #1588 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:53 pm »
Thanks for the photos Hugo.
Making me feel what I am missing up here in Scotland, especially the good weather.
Spent the weekend on Arran training with SARDA. 2 large hill searches on Saturday followed by helicopter training on Sunday morning with RN 177 in Glen Rosa.
Weather went downhill from midday Saturday,You have done much better down there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1589 on: August 19, 2015, 03:40:14 pm »
Yesterday we met in Morfa Bychan for a delightful coastal walk in this lovely area.  Setting off from the golf course we made our way down to a  golden sandy beach and it was great to see everyone making the most of the brilliant weather.  To our right we noticed an unusual white building by the water’s edge and curiosity got the better of us so we made our way to it.    We found out that gunpowder was unloaded at Ynys Cyngar – an isolated spot 2 miles seawards – and then transported to Porthmadog or elsewhere, originally by horse and cart and that is why this cottage came to be known as ‘The Powder House’   for obvious reasons the inhabitants of Porthmadog were not keen on the idea of a boat loaded with gunpowder docking close to the centre of their town.
After looking around we headed past the Powder House and had a quick look at Black Rock Sands before turning around and following the coastal path towards Porthmadog.    We passed many houses and caravans along the route and they were all enjoying panoramic views over the Estuary to Harlech and beyond.     It wasn’t long before we came to the pretty village of Borth Y Gest and the peaks of the Cnicht and the Moelwyns were as clear as anything.   At the far end of the village we sat and enjoyed our refreshments whilst appreciating the beauty of this part of North Wales. Then it was just  a short distance to Porthmadog which was bustling with people making the most of the weather. As we made our way to the Railway Station we passed dozens of people fishing for crabs along the harbour wall.    The cafe at the station was doing a roaring trade but we just wanted to see the steam engines come and go.   After waving goodbye to a locomotive with a familiar name we headed across the road and had a quick walk around the lake before returning through the town and walking up the main road uphill to Morfa Bychan and passing the Llama Treking Centre on the way.   The walk finished in Wayne's back garden where we enjoyed a nice cup of tea and cake as we sat in the warm sunshine.  What a beautiful location on this gorgeous sunny day