Author Topic: Walking  (Read 841286 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Walking
« Reply #1560 on: June 10, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »
Llanddwyn Island

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1561 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:43 am »
One of my favourite places to visit in North Wales.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1562 on: June 11, 2015, 06:32:22 pm »
I revisited Dyserth and did the same walk as I had done recently and took a friend with me who was a keen botanist.  Ted had wanted to see the plants and flowers that I had photographed a few weeks earlier and as we started the walk the first thing we noticed was that the flowers on all of the wild garlick had gone!   We carried on to my favourite part of the walk and those Gunner plants were in fact Butterburs so that's how much I know about plants.   Anyway the wild orchids were still there although they were past their best by now but he made many notes about all the plants that he had seen and will revisit the site again next year when the plants will be at their best.
We went across Maes Hiraddug as I wanted to show him a leet which is now in the front garden of a house behind Tre Castell and the owners have made a feature of it and introduced about a dozen Goldfish into the water
This was the second leat and was built in 1844 to provide sufficient volume of water to power a new 50” hydraulic engine to drain the west end of the mine. This leat passed through a tunnel under the Dyserth-Trelawnyd road and followed the 300ft contour to Talargoch.  We then went across the fields to see the Clive Engine House which was built near the Talargoch lead mines.     In the 1800s the mines spent huge amounts of money on pumping engines to keep the lower workings free of water. The Clive Shaft was sunk between 1842 & 1845 and ceased operating in 1883. It was originally equipped with a 50-inch (cylinder diameter) hydraulic pumping engine, constructed at John Taylor’s foundry in Rhydymwyn and installed in an engine house underground
After looking around the building we returned along the disused railway track back to the car park

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1563 on: June 11, 2015, 06:39:26 pm »
I hope you got Hollins permission to take her Heron on your walk.   :)

Offline hollins

« Reply #1564 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:25 am »
Inspired by Hugo's description and photos of Llanddwyn Island we followed in his footsteps there yesterday.
We paid our £4 at the barrier and commented on what good value it was as the whole area is so well maintained.
I especially liked the way they had made footpaths out of ground up shells and the carved wooden gates were very attractive.
Unusually we left bright blue skies at home and found it to be quite cloudy and windy on the coast.
Nevertheless we found a sheltered cove to eat our sandwiches which we had bought in the Menai Bridge, Waitrose store on the way.
I don't think I have walked on Newborough beach since about 1973 and I don't intend to leave it so long again. It is so beautiful.
On the way back we called in first at Dylan's, Menai Bridge for a drink. We sat outside on the balcony and it was a bit chilly in the breeze but they provided Welsh woven blankets for warmth which was nice. Then topped it off with fish and chips at Enoch's.
A fab day out, thanks again Hugo for the idea.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1565 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:24 am »
Nice photos, too, H.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1566 on: June 17, 2015, 09:05:49 am »
A few more. The last one is at Dylan's, Menai Bridge. Nice view from there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1567 on: June 17, 2015, 09:31:26 am »
Have you been to the new Dylans in Criccieth yet?

I see the Waterfront in Treaddur Bay is up for sale, would be a great location for a third Dylans.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1568 on: June 17, 2015, 09:52:12 am »
No, not been there yet DaveR.
Who will be the first forum taster in the skip I wonder?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1569 on: June 17, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
My money would  be on Dave to be the first one at the skip for a meal but when that'll be I don't know.  I've been past it recently and there doesn't seem to be a lot going on.

Lovely photos Hollins but we had a bargain when we went to the car park as the barrier was up so no toll charge       $good$
but like you say it's well worth the money with the facilities and the superb location.    My friend is a Ranger in the forest and when he was off work a couple of years ago gave us a conducted tour around the forest.  We ended up on Llanddwyn Island and had tea and biscuits in one of the Pilot Boat cottages courtesy of a volunteer helper.
There are loads of wild flowers there too and some unusual Orchids were found when the Rangers cleared some undergrowth.  Don't leave it so long before you go again because there is a lot to take in.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1570 on: June 19, 2015, 09:56:20 am »
Here are some pics from Mr Hollins taken on a walk with his brother yesterday around Llyn Brenig and Llyn Alwen. It was about 14 miles and included an ascent of Marial Gwyn where there is a wind farm. The cotton grass was out and he was impressed by the footbridge over Llyn Alwen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1571 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:57 am »
That dilapidated looking shed in the last but one photo is an old railway goods van, I think?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1572 on: June 19, 2015, 01:36:03 pm »
That dilapidated looking shed in the last but one photo is an old railway goods van, I think?

With an equally dilapidated boat in it!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1573 on: July 17, 2015, 11:13:38 am »
I must admit that I hadn't heard of Wepre Park in Connah's Quay until fairly recently but when Tellytubby took me there on Tuesday I was very impressed with the location.   It's perfect for family days out and has some very interesting woodland walks.
We took the short walk of just under 3 miles and when we left the Cafe and Visitors Centre we dropped down to Wepre brook that flows through a steep valley.  We immediately came to the dam and waterfall that was created by the Victorian residents of the Old Wepre Hall. Originally water was sent from here into a turbine that produced electricity for the Hall.  We carried on along the woodland trail passing the Red Rocks and came to a very attractive single arched bridge called Pont Aber.    The little arched stone bridge that crosses Wepre Brook near the castle was built just after Wepre Hall in 1800. It was actually an older bridge, Pont Saeson, that was demolished further up the valley and rebuilt where you see it today.
A little further on and up some steep steps are the ruins of Ewloe Castle.   It was built by Llewelyn the Great in defiance of the English Monarchy but was taken by the English 20 years later.   We sat in the warm sunshine in the castle grounds and enjoyed our refreshments there before moving down and across the brook before heading up the lengthy and steep Llwynni Steps which took us to an old golf course and to a very attractive lake.  At one end we spent some time talking to a fisherman and watching the dark outline of some large Carp swimming near the Water Lilies but then it was time to move on to see the old gardens of Wepre Hall.   The gardens were fenced off unfortunately but curiosity got the better of us and we walked up the path past the giant Redwoods and found a way in to the garden. We had a quick look around and found the Pet Cemetery and then it was time to go to the cafe and have a coffee outside.
It was a short but very interesting walk and one I'll do again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1574 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:19 am »
Wepre Park