Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 10463 times)

craigollerton

Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »
From what I have seen on the Net it is probably more suitable for spotty faced teenagers!

I don't play it myself, but I believe the demographic for WoW participants is highly educated, financially sound and often with a strong interest in literature and science.  I've always been a keen game player, however;  Bridge, Scat, the multitude of Monopoly games, D & D, Chess, Cataan and - in the past - Cluedo, Careers, Scoop! and Buccaneer. I think games embody an intrinsic value in social development and certainly serve to bring together groups of people who might otherwise have no common interests.

One which I would highly recommend is 'Stratego', a particular favourite of mine. Give it a go sometime.

Offline Isambardia

• Into N. Wales Railway History & Warcraft.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:06 pm »
Yorkie,
           Whilst I am aware that certain inducements exist to encourage one to promote the game to others, these usually take the form of in-game bunuses or equipment to augment one's charaacters abilities and status. It is the sheer size and variety of terrain and the attention to detail thyoughout that sells it to me.
            Mr Falafel sums it up pretty well actually but seeibg is believing.  If you would like some examples, Youtube has many videos of gameplay for you to see and if that whets your appetite for more then please visit:the Warcraft Official site at -  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/ - where all will be revealed.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 12:16:41 am »
I just took a look on the website and viewed the Cataclysm demo.
I'm not sure how the gameplay works,  but the graphics are amazing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 08:08:15 am »
Ian, how does THIS type of game serve to bring people together, when by its very nature, you can play against people across the world who you are never likely to meet?
I think this type of game is detrimental to REAL social interaction

As you are aware, Fester, online relationships are increasingly leading to real-world encounters - even when playing folk across significant distances. I suspect someone posed the same question to Mr Bell, when he devised his first telephonic apparatus  ;D ;D ;D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:13 am »
thats true, we've met several people as a result of this forum  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 11:45:31 am »
            Mr Falafel sums it up pretty well actually but seeibg is believing.  If you would like some examples, Youtube has many videos of gameplay for you to see and if that whets your appetite for more then please visit:the Warcraft Official site at -  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/ - where all will be revealed.

I prefer Chess, Backgammon, Mah Jong and other such staid mind games.   Battle games of any type bore me to tears and I have never bothered with them after watching my Son's efforts!   _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »
Battle games of any type bore me to tears

But isn't battle the characteristic of every type of game?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:44 pm »
Most sports these days are fixed.  So the battle element is no longer valid, especially when Malaysian Bookmakers are controlling them.

Cricket, Tennis, Boxing, Rugby, Snooker, Golf, Football, etc..etc... have all been proved to be corrupt to varying degrees.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:36 pm »
Most sports these days are fixed.

That there's a degree of corruption in professional sports is probably true, but what we're discussing is games - in their purest sense, really.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »
Yes, ..wasn't there a high profile case of Chess being rigged, back in the Boris Spasskey days?

Sport....Games....its an interesting debate as to where the distinction lies.   It drags Darts and Snooker into question.  Also Bowls, but Bowls made it into the Olympics, despite it being played by middle aged blokes smoking pipes!

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »
Wherever big money is involved there's almost certainly going to be corruption.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:42 pm »
Wherever big money is involved there's almost certainly going to be corruption.

Ian, it is logical to conclude that only sports on which you cannot bet, are guaranteed not to be fixed.
Therefore the only fair and genuine sport is.... Wrestling!   *&(

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »
Therefore the only fair and genuine sport is.... Wrestling!   *&(

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »
Also Bowls, but Bowls made it into the Olympics, despite it being played by middle aged blokes smoking pipes!

No longer true, many youngsters are now joining bowls clubs having discovered that it is an enjoyable past-time and with a high degree of skill required.    D)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »
 Fester, I'll take you to the bowling green, when it re-opens in March and you can try it for yourself. It's not as easy as it looks.
Dictum Meum Pactum