Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 11719 times)

Offline Isambardia

• Into N. Wales Railway History & Warcraft.
World of Warcraft
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:45:44 pm »
 Are there any WoW Alliance players out there who also have Skype up and running on their system? If so I would like to hear from you.
My aim is to form a Guild using Skype Conference calls rather than the In-game voice system. You can always  keep in touch with all guild members  irrespectibe of your,or their health or location.
I was thinking to call the guild The Scrayskypers.
Any takers?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »
Speak English Boy   !

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:05:51 am »
Ronnie and Reggie The KraySkypers would have been interested.  :-X

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
Well I got some CRAPSLIPPERS for Christmas?

Fester...

Offline Isambardia

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:47:17 am »
I have 5 characters in WoW at the moment and Isambardia is my level 49 Warlock. Her full title is Lady Isambardia Brunellier and she wants to start the Scrayskypers but needs help with lots of things and likes to talk rather than type.
The Kray skypers. I like that but the pun was aimed at Skyscrapers originally.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51:44 am »
Nope... I'm no wiser.
 {}{}
Fester...

Offline Isambardia

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:57:43 am »
How do you know I;m English then?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:15:03 am »
Hi. Isambardia, and welcome to the forum. I wish you well in finding other WoW enthusiasts and particularly in using skype; it's perfectly designed for that sort of interest.

Folks: It would be appreciated if we could keep the topic on topic please.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
Maybe Isambardia could give us a brief discourse on the subject of World of Warcraft then I for one would be much the wiser! 

On the basis that there is a requirement for an (ongoing) payment I would certainly like to know the financial implications prior to any involvement.  Maybe Isambardia is purely embarked on a selling mission!    :D

From what I have seen on the Net it is probably more suitable for spotty faced teenagers!     _))*

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:26:35 am »
WoW isn't just for kids or spotty faced teens. People of all ages play and enjoy it for various reasons. If I am not mistaken If the OP is the person I think he is even people in their 50s enjoy the game. I've tried it a few times myself and can see the appeal.

The game is simply: you take on a character in an online world filled with other people's characters and some game-generated characters. You roam through the virtual realm interacting with characters, going on quests and forging relationships. You earn points for quests and various activities which elevates your ranking in the game giving you different advantages as you advance through the ranks.

As far as cost goes, you can play for free as a trial then its a small monthly subscription you can pay month by month using scratch cards bought at game shops or you can pay yearly via credit card. If you compare WoW to other games it's actually one of the most cost effective. If you look at new Xbox games they cost £40+ per game along with cost of console, controllers, batteries. etc/ WoW is played on your computer with no special devices or software to purchase.

I watch my nephew play it and its a very social game. You make friends with people around the world and form 'guilds' which are just groups of people that work together to accomplish more complicated quests that require teamwork. Using voice communication works to the guilds advantage as during battle sequences you can shout at your fellow guild members to run or duck or attack a new foe. Using skype for this removes you from the game communication channels which as flaws.

If you like castles, dragons, knights, treasure hunts and making new friends I recommend you give WoW a try.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
From what I have seen on the Net it is probably more suitable for spotty faced teenagers!

I don't play it myself, but I believe the demographic for WoW participants is highly educated, financially sound and often with a strong interest in literature and science.  I've always been a keen game player, however;  Bridge, Scat, the multitude of Monopoly games, D & D, Chess, Cataan and - in the past - Cluedo, Careers, Scoop! and Buccaneer. I think games embody an intrinsic value in social development and certainly serve to bring together groups of people who might otherwise have no common interests.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:42:15 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
I love Monopoly, I have'nt played for sometime though  :( must have a game soon  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Jack

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »
Are there any WoW Alliance players out there who also have Skype up and running on their system? If so I would like to hear from you.
My aim is to form a Guild using Skype Conference calls rather than the In-game voice system. You can always  keep in touch with all guild members  irrespectibe of your,or their health or location.
Any takers?
Hi Isambardia
Have you tried putting an advert on the notice board in Acme Games (the Games Workshop type shop) near the railway station?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »
How do you know I;m English then?

Isambardia, I didn't know you were English (I obviously do NOW) .... my comment was based on ''Speak English Boy'' - a line from an advert on the telly some years back.

Ian, how does THIS type of game serve to bring people together, when by its very nature, you can play against people across the world who you are never likely to meet?
I think this type of game is detrimental to REAL social interaction.   

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:44:53 pm by Fester »
Fester...

craigollerton

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »
My aim is to form a Guild using Skype Conference calls rather than the In-game voice system. You can always  keep in touch with all guild members  irrespectibe of your,or their health or location.
Any takers?

Hi Isambardia,

I used to play WoW quite a bit but have not played it for a while now. I am yearning to get back on now the latest expansion has come out. I go by the name of Ormewizzard and I am on the realm of Hellfire. When I renew my laptop in the January sales, I will consider moving realm and joining forces with you.

Feel free to drop me a line.

Regards, Craig.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:33:27 pm by craigollerton »