Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 108047 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:18 am »
........ err? Discuss it then!

We could, if you were to be specific...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »
........ err? Discuss it then!

We could, if you were to be specific...

You just summed yourself up Ian.

The thread has gone full circle, right back to my original post.  There is no real interest in it, let it die like the vast majority.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 01:45:15 pm »
I'm going to chuck another hand grenade in just to keep it moving  WWW

Now, ignoring your shop Fester. As you said in your post this isn't about YOU and that you're still making wheel barrows of money so it doesn't apply to you   $good$.

Do you think the majority of kiosks on the pier represent good value for money?

Because they don't.

Perhaps visitors are just a little bit more custom savvy in these austere times?

It always was the case when you went on holiday usual budgets went out the window and it was a spend for all. But can most families really afford that these days?

My guess is after the travel, possibly accomidation, food,drinks etc people are not left with much.

AND .. I don't think it's just because they are Asian/Jewish/Chinese whatever, I think traditional visitors are spending less.

Fester.....

The floor is yours  L0L

Offline pebbles

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:38 pm »

I look around me and I can conduct a survey on the 11 or so people who are within 200 yards of me. Here goes.
2 old dears who are coughing and spluttering, whilst smoking, a good 50ft away from the designated smoking area.
3 Chinese (?) people sharing 2 ipads, and gleefully taking pictures of a seagull.
1 Man of about 22 stone in weight, who is more tattoos than human, wearing a 'Tap Out' vest and flip flops.   He is more concerned about his 2 screaming kids, and ignoring his pestering wife, (easy when you have your earphones in, as he does)
If only he would stop his kids from playing with my outside merchandise, and probably nicking it for all EITHER of us know.
'Hey Rambo.... do you mind....'    Forget it Fester, he can't hear you.

2 Eastern European girls, who look great, but I can't understand a word they are saying.  Stilettos are not the most appropriate footwear on a Victorian Pier.
1 middle aged lady, who has just popped in to my kiosk to ask where the toilets are.
1, Chap on a motability scooter who looks like he died several years ago, but no one bothered to tell him.   They have propped him up 'El Cid' like, charged him up and sent him off for the day.

That's it, survey complete.

If that's how you talk about people in the vicinity of your shop no wonder they don't come in eh....

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2015, 03:39:20 pm »
You just summed yourself up Ian.

The thread has gone full circle, right back to my original post.  There is no real interest in it, let it die like the vast majority.

Never entirely sure why you feel the need to resort to personal abuse when you're presumably feeling backed into a corner, Fester, but I'll say it again: be more specific about what concerns you.  I, for one, still have no idea about what it is - precisely - that you're saying. If you were little more  detailed, explicit and unambiguous we might be able to enjoy a reasoned debate.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2015, 04:11:39 pm »

Do you think the majority of kiosks on the pier represent good value for money?

Because they don't.

Perhaps visitors are just a little bit more custom savvy in these austere times?

It always was the case when you went on holiday usual budgets went out the window and it was a spend for all. But can most families really afford that these days?

My guess is after the travel, possibly accomidation, food,drinks etc people are not left with much.

AND .. I don't think it's just because they are Asian/Jewish/Chinese whatever, I think traditional visitors are spending less.

Fester.....

The floor is yours  L0L

Fair play B2R,
I'm going to answer all of that in the most constructive and open way that I can.
Firstly, I will say that you are 100% correct that austerity has left less disposable income in people's pockets.
That is more and more obvious everyday.
Parents or Grandparents have less to spend these days, and all you can hear being said is 'you can have a ride, OR and ice cream but not both'   
That of course applies to the Toys and Jokes shop opposite, where several times a day you will hear.. 'you had that ice cream, so there's nothing left for that toy'

As regards to value for money in the shops on the pier.
If I saw any of my colleagues (competitors?) arriving in Mercedes or Porsche cars, then I might wonder.
But no, I have to say that given the wholesale price of gift items, and the fact that rents have almost TREBLED in the last 6 years, then I don't actually know how some of them continue to trade.
Roughly half the kiosks on the pier are run by people of retirement age, who are working there simply to top up their pension.
To be more certain of this, you can look at the websites of local or national gift wholesale companies to see the cost prices.
When you add on VAT, and delivery charges. you need to add on some profit margin to cover all costs.

I know one thing for sure, for the hassle and pilferage that they have to contend with, for the colossal rents they have been saddled with and hard work they put in.... I CERTAINLY would NOT do what they do, for the money they make.

Another indicator of whether the kiosks are 'viable', is the fact that roughly 75% of them are not what they were 6 years ago.
I don't feel like I have been on here long, but I am now one of the 'Elder Statesmen'
Many of the kiosks have been 4 different things in the last 6 years, as people think they can make a go of it, and then fall by the wayside when the grim reality hits.

Some wise words which were imparted to me when I first enquired about taking a shop on the pier; 'If you work hard and really put the hours in, you can make a living, but you cannot and will not make a fortune'
Those words are more true now than ever.

Another thing that is proving to be true, you cannot even make a 'proper' living unless you have someone to help and support you... and I am lucky to have other sources of income.  THAT is a must.

Feel free to ask for any more on this subject..... and stay out of Poundland!  :laugh:

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »
Parents or Grandparents have less to spend these days

Hmmm.  Almost certainly true of parents but I'm not so sure about Grandparents. For those over 65, certainly, this period of austerity hasn't been that bad. Their pensions have continued to rise in line with inflation, most over-65s were protected against benefits loss and those who had or have mortgages are much better off and have been during the last six years.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:47 pm »

If that's how you talk about people in the vicinity of your shop no wonder they don't come in eh....

Not sure what I said that was offensive, most seemed to find it amusing.... but assuming that they are not clairvoyant they will not know what I am thinking anyway.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:56 pm »
Ahhhh you see you've stumbled on a fair point there. Poundland... Amazon, 99p shop  :laugh:, pound bakery, et al. I would say these super emporiums are a bigger threat to these shops than you might think. It is not hard to find a better price these days and local shops are hurting just as local pubs do with Cheaperspoons on their door step.

To survive perhaps these kiosks need to provide something unique that the other shops can't?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »

Not sure what I said that was offensive, most seemed to find it amusing.... but assuming that they are not clairvoyant they will not know what I am thinking anyway.

_))* You're on form today Fester! Somebody had his weetabix this morning.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »

Never entirely sure why you feel the need to resort to personal abuse when you're presumably feeling backed into a corner, Fester, but I'll say it again: be more specific about what concerns you.  I, for one, still have no idea about what it is - precisely - that you're saying. If you were little more  detailed, explicit and unambiguous we might be able to enjoy a reasoned debate.

Ian, I genuinely apologise if you feel that I have 'personally abused' you.
I really mean that, but you might find out what personal abuse is if you frequented some of the local hostelries preferred by Born to Run!  :laugh:

I don't feel backed into a corner, I just feel irritated that I have raised a topic, been very specific in my comments, but you have chosen to pick it apart, (which is your right).
I don't really know what you want me to say?  I can't be anymore direct than I have been.
Parts of town are very quiet, more quiet than ever... and the TYPES of people who make up the remainder of the footfall have changed quite dramatically this last couple of years.

I'm really struggling to be more specific, and we are going over old ground.

Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 04:44:31 pm »

Hmmm.  Almost certainly true of parents but I'm not so sure about Grandparents. For those over 65, certainly, this period of austerity hasn't been that bad. Their pensions have continued to rise in line with inflation, most over-65s were protected against benefits loss and those who had or have mortgages are much better off and have been during the last six years.

Ahh, but that's the point... Grandparents of kids today are NOT over 65!  They are closer to 45, (lets say 50 to be kind), and they have had 7 years of financial pain.   
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:53 pm »
Ahhhh you see you've stumbled on a fair point there. Poundland... Amazon, 99p shop  :laugh:, pound bakery, et al. I would say these super emporiums are a bigger threat to these shops than you might think. It is not hard to find a better price these days and local shops are hurting just as local pubs do with Cheaperspoons on their door step.

To survive perhaps these kiosks need to provide something unique that the other shops can't?

Some do, but they don't survive long.

Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »

Where the Grandparents have lost is through the pathetic return of their savings which some rely on to supplement their pension to give them a higher standard of living. Most will have paid off their houses so their loss can't be offset by the gain of record low interest rates on mortgages.
Valar Morghulis

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »
I doubt if anyone on pension who does not have savings or a private pension and are reliant on state pension only , can afford to go to the seaside or anywere else let alone bye the kids presents and ice cream