Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 107821 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:46 pm »
The last we heard from the local councillors was that it was going to be a 'Training Hotel'. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline CMG

« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2019, 10:28:50 pm »
Sorry I’ve been absent for so long guys, had much to deal with this last few months.
I just wanted to say, that I don’t see any great rush by Mr Waldron to get on with building anything.
So much time and expense over the land purchase and planning, then so little urgency to crack on with the project.  Not even doing the groundworks or clearance during these quiet months.
It certainly doesn’t add up to me.

There are something like 22 conditions on the planning consent document, at least half of which have to be complied with before ANY work can start. To date none of the conditions are met...any reports aiming to demonstrate compliance will be put up on the planning portal.

Rumour has it that Waldron hasn’t got funding in place to progress...but that is just a rumour I was told.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:58 am »
I'm sure I remember a news article that said Waldron was seeking investment for the build in London?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2019, 02:47:46 pm »
I'm sure that I read on here that Waldron bought the site with a financial input from another person, so there is no way on earth that he could  fund the building by himself.

Offline Dave

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2019, 05:28:10 pm »
I have a feeling nothing will happen on this site for a long time to come. The building cost will be huge, consequently the apartments will be hugely expensive. In the current climate I can't see it going ahead. If I had megabucks I wouldn't want to buy an apartment overlooking the pier below with the constant playing of 1950's pop music, the smell of candy floss and donuts wafting over my sea view balcony. The sounds of the amusement arcade almost as irritating as having my pre dinner drinks and nibbles raided by the gulls. The only way that I can see the plan developing is if they manage to buy the pier and then who knows what. That would be a very dark day for Llandudno's tourism in my opinion.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2019, 05:28:24 pm »
The weather is not looking good in the town for Sunday but I'm sure that the kite surfers on the West Shore will make the most of the windy weather.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47002178

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: February 08, 2019, 09:19:08 am »
What is being done or built on the golf course adjacent to Maesdu Ave, around half-way along?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #292 on: February 08, 2019, 12:48:21 pm »
What is being done or built on the golf course adjacent to Maesdu Ave, around half-way along?

0/43413   Land off Maesdu Ave Deganwy LL30 1NA   Proposed Base Station Installation (Telecoms Prior Approval)   FINAL DECISION   17-11-2016   Prior Approval
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: February 08, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »
Thanks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #294 on: February 08, 2019, 03:15:01 pm »
The work on maesdu is to do with welsh water, it's part of the works comming down Llanrhos ,  the planning for the telecom item they erected a big grey mast and big green box even put crash barriers up the people in the houses opp complained next thing it was all gone woosh, amazing what clout a bit of money can get sorted.😅

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #295 on: February 08, 2019, 03:43:54 pm »
The excavations on the golf course are to create a storage lagoon for roof, yard and highway surface water from the catchment up to Plas Mariandir.  Currently this discharges into a culvert under the road and thence via a stream through the golf course.  The stream discharges into the railway drain which itself flows into the town's sewerage system through a connection under Maesdu Bridge.  The lagoon will store the water in times of excessive rainfall and it will gradually be released into the stream at an acceptable rate to avoid causing overloading of the sewerage system downstream. 

I am not sure what all the yellow barriers are around the area and up Bryn Gosol Road nor why there seems to be traffic signals in operation when the road seems not obstructed. I think they belong to contractors for another utility.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2019, 08:13:32 am »
]BBC Wales' news is reporting that "a century ago, there were 6,000 Jewish people in Wales, with the figure now in the hundreds and many aged 80 or over."  I have to say that surprised me. I had always thought we had a thriving Jewish community in Llandudno, but this suggests otherwise.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
Interesting point Ian.  Some families have either died out or the younger members moved away for work reasons. I have seen reference that the contribution to Llandudno made by Jewish families down the years is to be the subject of a project involving Llandudno Museum and an academic from Bangor Uni.  A pamphlet on the Jewish families in Bangor was produced a couple of years ago.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:11 am »
My impression has been that we've seen a move into the town by some Jewish groups over the past few years. Certainly, many come on coach trips although the more fundamentalist Charedi seem to be regulars.

Offline Helig

« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2019, 10:19:51 am »
My mother used to speak of the number of Jews who moved to Llandudno from London in World War 2. She had a friend, Maisie Levy (later Maisie Hardman) who had been sent out of Golder's Green with her 3 sisters. Their father, who was an accountant, came to visit from time to time. I think they lived in St Seiriol's Road. Later on when Maisie married Sid Hardman she lived in a house on The Oval.

Is the old Railway Convalescent Home on the Marine Drive still a mother and baby home for Jewish girls? There used to be some very orthodox Jews who bought houses along Llys Helig Drive in the early 2000s. I heard that one of them went along Llys Helig Drive asking owners of the properties there is they wanted to sell them and to give them the first option. There was the famous house sale c2003, where they offered double the price that was paid for the property but the residents would have to sell within one week. At that time there seemed to be an invasion.

Helig