Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 107764 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »
Llandudno Christmas Fayre organisers on why they charge and how they don't make any money
The event came under fire over 'ridiculous' admission charges.
    ref  DP

Under-fire organisers of Llandudno's Christmas Fayre today defended the controversial entry fee and insisted they were making no money from the four-day street event.
Dozens of people blasted the 'ridiculous' admission charges which increased from £2.50 to £4.50 this year.

But volunteers from the Community Interest Company (CIC) that runs the event said they had no choice but to charge after losing financial support from local authorities.
And they said any profit from the Fayre is pumped back into the event which has been operating for 15 years - but has been run by the CIC for the last two.

Detailing their accounts to the Daily Post, organisers revealed more than 90% of their income came from ticket sales (£72,000) and stall holders fees (£70,000). The remainder came from Welsh Assembly grants (£5,000) and sponsorship (£8,250).

Llandudno Christmas Fayre event costs:         
Operational contractors (£32,000)                 :o
Tents, marquees and cabins (£31,700)          :o
Security (£18,000)
Electricity and generators (£16,000)              :o
Ground rental (£4,000)
Stage Hire (£6,000)
Entertainment (£3,000)
Road closure licences (£6,000)
Marketing, social media, printing and brochures (£13,000)
Casual labour (£6,000)
Insurance and other costs (£13,000)
Volunteer CIC director and treasurer Mike Thompson said: "Our model includes charging for entry or we could not hold the event. The event was on the verge of closing forever after the 2016 Fayre following a few years of losses.

"The only way to ensure that the event could be held in 2017 was to introduce an entry fee for adults.
"Many people would want it to be free. If we could achieve that we would. If we could pick up a big grant then we would drop ticket prices.

"With the financial difficulties currently being faced by councils around the country, we feel that it is another way to support the local community. Only those who choose to visit the Fayre need to pay to enter so Conwy taxpayers do not contribute towards the event.

"We felt this model was a fairer way to approach it.

"As a community business we need the support of the community otherwise we don't have a future.

"Last year we had a £2,000 surplus and this year it will be around £6,000. All that money is reinvested. We are always looking at more entertainment rather than just being a market. Last year we had 10 pages of ideas and we are considering introducing a 2-day pass."

The number of paying customers was down this year from 24,000 in 2017 to around 17,600. Up to 5,000 people, mainly children, were given free entry and more than 2,000 people performed on the stage.

There was also 140 stallholders and and Saturday performances were dedicated to the Welsh language.

While many continental Christmas markets are free to enter, organisers were keen to point out their admission charges compared favourably to other similar events.

The CIC employs two local contractors to organise and manage the Fayre.   

CIC chairwoman Diane Lea said: "The whole board is voluntary. We would like to involve more local people - for example we need a marketing volunteer."
She added the event supports local charities including Ty Gobaith children's hospice which made £3,500 from last year's Fayre.
This year's event occupied a large part of the resort's centre including Trinity Square and Augusta Street.

And a readers comment.

"I thought my energy suppliers were rip off merchants but four grand a day to power a couple of marquees and a few wooden huts?  Someone saw them coming a mile off!  And who are these “operational contractors” who are charging eight large a day for their services?  These figures raise more questions than answers."

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2019, 05:28:02 pm »
The old Bryant & Hocknell building has had the go ahead to be demolished and a four story block of apartments for Social Affordable Housing will be built in it's place, but only if the parking problem can be solved. Roads & Highways asked for the Planning Committee to refuse the application on grounds that the proposed parking in the basement was a flood risk.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2019, 05:19:35 pm »
Roads & Highways asked for the Planning Committee to refuse the application on grounds that the proposed parking in the basement was a flood risk.

Such a pity they didn't recommend the same advice over the Pier Pavilion development, as I have seen with my own eyes, the vast amount of rain water that can and does flood down North Parade / Church Walks, during Summer Thunder storms. The current Victorian drains would certainly be unable to cope, so I hope Mr W has made provision to install the very best pumping system in his underground car park.  :'(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:53 pm »
Blongb I have mentioned on a few sites having worked on the pier early 70s our canteen/ workshop was under there it used to flood on high/ Spring tides so we couldn't get down there so how they are going to stop the sea God knows.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2019, 11:16:10 pm »
Sorry I’ve been absent for so long guys, had much to deal with this last few months.
I just wanted to say, that I don’t see any great rush by Mr Waldron to get on with building anything.
So much time and expense over the land purchase and planning, then so little urgency to crack on with the project.  Not even doing the groundworks or clearance during these quiet months.
It certainly doesn’t add up to me.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:04 am »
Good to see you back, F, and I agree. It's not a pun, but something's fishy...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2019, 09:22:42 am »
Nice to see you back Fester.

Whilst we are on the subject of inactivity...Is anything actually happening at the Tudno Castle?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
Nice to see you back Fester.

Whilst we are on the subject of inactivity...Is anything actually happening at the Tudno Castle?
Yes Nem I was walking past yesterday and the foundation work is well underway.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:24 am »
The old Bryant & Hocknell building has had the go ahead to be demolished and a four story block of apartments for Social Affordable Housing will be built in it's place, but only if the parking problem can be solved. Roads & Highways asked for the Planning Committee to refuse the application on grounds that the proposed parking in the basement was a flood risk.

Llandudno apartments get go ahead despite car parking concerns

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17352448.llandudno-apartments-get-go-ahead-despite-car-parking-concerns/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »
Thanks for posting that Fester,  I wonder just what is going on behind the scenes with Mr Waldron and others?     

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2019, 11:19:49 pm »
nice to see you back fester

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2019, 11:52:39 pm »
Maybe Mr Waldron hasn't got the backers to fund this project,looking at his profile he hasn't surely got the money to fund it, as someone mentioned we could well see that hole getting sold on again.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2019, 02:08:48 pm »
Maybe Mr Waldron hasn't got the backers to fund this project,looking at his profile he hasn't surely got the money to fund it, as someone mentioned we could well see that hole getting sold on again.
He's still got one of his Glan Conwy boxes to sell at £595,000 so perhaps cash flow is a problem, plus its my understanding he has still got to come up with the money to do the Highways alterations to North Parade before any work on the site can proceed

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:59 am »
Any news on The Royal? It still looks to be in the same state !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2019, 12:42:54 pm »
Any news on The Royal? It still looks to be in the same state !
I was told directly by one potential buyer that he had pulled out because the lease was to short