Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 107748 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2018, 05:07:56 pm »
Sorted.

Well, if people don't come because of the charges then it will end. It's not like it's the only one around, now. Manchester - which is believed to be the largest in the UK - is completely free.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
The fayre is causing controversy again this year, (see past comments) ..... I passed today and noticed quite a few people wearing volunteer vests, I am assuming that means unpaid ?, also in the article it mentions schoolchildren  singing (no fee), but the parents have to pay to see them perform, I know of other groups who were asked to perform, free of charge, who declined, this is private enterprise, but their PR is extremely poor......... and I believe CCBC contribute to the Fayre. ?

Why Christmas Fayre has left Llandudno businesses feeling far from festive
Some business owners claiming they will lose thousands in takings over the four-day Llandudno Fayre.

The fayre opened today occupying a large part in the centre of the Victorian seaside resort, including Trinity Square and Augusta Street. Madoc Street has been reduced to a one way system, upsetting many of the traders that line the road.

Organisers said they expected the number of visitors to the town would reap benefits for local traders.

But Gareth Mottershead, who owns Games N Gear on Madoc Street, said: "Last year we lost around £1,000 in takings, and this week we've been closing early as the street has been so quiet.

"The organisers turn the street into a one way traffic system on Tuesday, and it's not turned back to normal until next Tuesday."
Mr Mottershead continued: "There's a new game out this week and we'd normally be packed out, but it has been dead.
"Usually you can't get a parking spot on Madoc Street but today there's hardly anyone."

Llandudno Christmas Fayre drew 35,000 visitors last year.       ?

He added: "When the fayre was along Madoc Street it would be disruptive for us but we'd be really busy, so none of us minded it but now it doesn't benefit us at all."

His feelings were echoed by Ann-Marie Warren of Promise Arts and Crafts, also to be found on Madoc Street.
She said: "Our street normally sees a high volume of cars parked here as restrictions are 90 minutes free parking and so there is a daily turn around of visitors, but at the moment it's scarily quiet.
"We lost £800 in takings last year and I can prove it."

Ms Warren continued: "I just don't see how this market helps many local businesses, when the stall-holders are mostly from away.
"They are charging people £4.50 to get into the market, how is that right?"

Many parents whose children are performing on the stage during the weekend, have taken to social media to complain they have to pay the entry fee to watch their children.
One parent, who didn't wish to be named, said: "It will cost £9 for me and my partner to go and watch our little one sing, we can't afford it so have asked my friend to video her instead.
"It's really embarrassing, but at this time of year £9 is a lot for us."

Eileen Burrows, an event director of Llandudno Fayre, said: "There is access to Madoc Street and over the weekend our volunteers will be directing people to there, I'm sure the stall holders will see the benefits during the weekend when the Fayre is in full swing."

Mrs Burrows added: "I have received one complaint from a parent about the entry charge, and for next year we will look into this, perhaps not charging an entry fee if the child is on free school meals.

"But the schools when they agreed for their pupils to perform on the stage, were fully aware of the charges, and they can take buckets with them to raise money for their school."    REF DP

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2018, 08:52:33 am »
I for one will stay out of town while this so called event is on.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2018, 09:41:46 am »
I find the entire thing very odd. The Christmas fayre / Market has, suspect, started to lose its appeal overall, not simply in Llandudno. Where it continues to be successful, in places like Manchester, Berlin and London there's no charge whatsoever and Llandudno can't possible compete with places like that on space alone.

I presume the thinking by CCBC is that it will bring people into town but I can't see how, if they're charging £4.50 pp.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2018, 11:09:41 am »
A follow up piece by the DP, plus some of the comments, which raise other questions.

What you had to say about Llandudno Christmas Fayre's controversial entry fee
P
eople have blasted the hike in prices on social media

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-you-say-llandudno-christmas-15426149#comments-section

COMMENTS

I would like to see the accounts to find out how much they take of the stall holders and the public and what their outgoings are, they don't seem to publish the accounts so I am going to ask under the freedom of information act. let's see if they respond.

My family & I were in Wales for the week & we always spend a day in Llandudno as we love the Place, we were in Llandudno on Thursday 15th Nov, the day the Christmas Fayre opened so we thought we'd have a good day, how wrong we were, first of all we couldn't believe you had to pay just to go in, then when they told us how much it was £4-50 each person. ( DISGUSTING )  We've been to quite a few Christmas Fayres up & down the Country & they've all been FREE. We Certainly won't be coming to Llandudno's Christmas Fayre & if other people have any sense then they won't either.

If DP were any kind of real newspaper they would find out the truth. The council say it is an independent group that run the fair, yet allegedly 4 councillors are part of the group.  Seems a money in pocket exercise to me.

There are two councillors and two reserve councillors (whatever that means) on the board of the group.  They are however Llandudno Town councillors and not Conwy County councillors so they’re just a bunch of powerless busybodies.  Having said that I can’t see a problem with Llandudno Town Council linking in with a group called the Llandudno Development Partnership, if would be a bit strange if they didn’t.

There is no way I am paying £4.50 to look round some stalls when I can go to the Manchester Fayre, which is much larger, for free. I tried to get into the town this afternoon to the other shops and couldn't find anywhere to park so gave up. The local businesses are suffering as people will stay away during the fayre. And to ask parents to have to pay to see their own children perform is ridiculous!!!! This is so damaging for the reputation of Llandudno.

More comments in the above link.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2018, 11:44:21 am »
It seems that Llandudno Development Partnership is a fairly secretive organisation. George Newson appears to be the person who started it all, in conjunction with 'local businesses people and Mostyn Estates'.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
This link to  REPRESENTATIVES ON OUTSIDE BODIES 2018/19  http://www.llandudno.gov.uk/council-outside-bodies.html

LLANDUDNO DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP   
• 2 Councillors
• Reserves: 2 Councillors
•Cllr Mrs M Lyon
▪ Cllr Mrs C Beard
▪ Reserves: Cllr M Pavey
▪ Cllr Miss C Marubbi

Working in Partnership:
Llandudno Town Council works in partnership with Conwy County Borough Council and others on many projects to benefit the town. These include Playscheme provision, Play areas, provision of Bus Shelters, Litter Bins and Street Furniture, the Alice Trail, lighting in Happy Valley area, Llandudno Swimming Pool, and CCTV). The Town Council also represents the local area as a consultee on many matters, including Planning and Development. It also represents the local Community on various organisations including the North Wales Association of Town & Larger Community Councils, Llandudno Promenade Consultative Group, Llandudno Development Partnership, Llandudno Flood Partnership Group and various Community organisations.

And the official list of annual events, not including the Fayre, so why is the council involved in this apparent private, for profit making enterprise. 
•   Christmas Parade
•   Fireworks
•   Llandudno in Bloom competition
•   Miss Alice competition
•   RHS Wales in Bloom competition
•   Christmas Lights
•   Town Twinning events
•   Summer and Winter Decorative Lighting
•   Hanging Basket Scheme

PS   just found this answer to a FOI request.

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your email.
The Llandudno Christmas Fayre is not organised by the Town Council but by an independent body.
They have an official website, including contact details, and you may wish to contact them directly.
The Town Council has not received any correspondence addressed to it in respect of the Fayre.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2018, 01:16:59 pm »
I wonder what the connection is between the Llandudno Development Parrnership and the Llandudno Christmas Fayre Community Interest Company?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10470030

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2018, 01:29:26 pm »
Went to a couple of shops in Madoc Street earlier today (Sat).  It was very, very quiet and plenty of car parking spaces - even though a warden was diligently checking all the cars. It seems very unfair that this event causes losses of income to local businesses who are here all year round and employ local people. I heard one woman tell a shop keeper that she would not be going there but to the one in Chester as it was free.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2018, 01:37:27 pm »
It would appear the increased cost, has not put people off................I heard this morning about a couple of coach parties, who decided to wander around town, rather than pay £4.50, ..........now a friend returning from town, says it is mobbed   :),......and long queues around Trinity square, waiting to get in.     ???  I also noticed the parking around Westshore is similar to bank holiday type events.

Offline Neil

« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »
It,s a holiday resort! The amount of people in hotels is the most important statistic. People from inland cities are attracted by Xmas Market in Llandudno, nobody comes here to do any serious shopping, chill out it’s only for a few days.
I have no connection with hotels or shops.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2018, 08:27:18 am »
Yep;  that's a possibility.  However, if a significant umber of those staying in the hotels specifically for the Xmas market then feel ripped off, it could do the image of the resort quite a bit of damage.  This is bigger than simply a few tents and a lot of overcharging.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2018, 05:21:26 pm »
i support the xmas fayre being in town and yesterday many where raking it in but i think they have shot themselves in the foot with this greedy £4.50 fee,locals have given it a miss so surely get more rent in from stallholders who would then have more customers

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:03 pm »
I went - and bought ten slices of cheese for a tenner and 3 xmas eve boxes for a fiver.
Pretty good value all in all - however if I would have had to pay £4.50 to get in it wouldn't really have been good value at all. Apart from shopping the only thing to do other than shop is walk around listening to Wizzard on their tinny speakers and a load of out of tune kids singing in the tent.

Conwy food festival is a million times better and I hope the Conwy Christmas fair on the 20th December is better as well, can't be much worse!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2018, 01:03:10 pm »
I wonder what the connection is between the Llandudno Development Parrnership and the Llandudno Christmas Fayre Community Interest Company?
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10470030

Community Interest Company.
A non-charitable company can still be a not-for-profit organisation: many social enterprises are non-charitable companies. If your organisation is not charitable, you can guarantee your not-for-profit status by becoming a Community Interest Company (CIC). CICs commit their assets and profits permanently to the community by means of an “asset lock”, ensuring that assets are used for the benefit of the community. CICs can have paid directors.