Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 108044 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2021, 03:53:22 pm »
I never saw the incident on TV but I've spoken to a number of people who have and it was showing a boatload of migrants landing in Kent.
Apparently a close up was taken of one migrant and he had an expensive looking watch as well as one of the latest smart phones, add to this the cost of the trip over the Channel and you begin to wonder what is going on.
Asylum seekers?   the migrants are mainly young men so where are the rest of their families?       At best they are mainly economic migrants and I dread to think what the worst scenario is

Offline wally

« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2021, 05:33:18 pm »
Thanks for your reply,Fester. I thought it was probably to do with immigrants ,but I cannot see what the connection is to the Tudno Castle remaining closed.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2021, 07:03:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply,Fester. I thought it was probably to do with immigrants ,but I cannot see what the connection is to the Tudno Castle remaining closed.

Wally, I think some were expressing the view that the Tudno Castle Hotel could become a place where those arriving as migrants might get housed.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2021, 07:45:00 pm »
There's a difference between Migrants and Refugees. The UK can return Migrants to the first EU country they reached.  However, refugees might be seeking asylum and that's a more difficult issue.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Hugo

« Reply #349 on: January 21, 2024, 07:56:23 am »
I haven't been to Llandudno for a while but when I did go there last week I had a drive to the West Shore.   The sandhills by the boating lake have gone even worse than when I last saw them which was rather sad.
Before anyone makes a silly comment like "what do you expect as it's by the seaside"  it is not the Llandudno I grew up in.
I've attached a couple of photos to show how it looked like and the date on the photo with the two girls is 1988, about 5 years before they built the second sea defence that has caused the sand problem on the West Shore
I had a conversation with a senior member of the RNLI a few years ago and he said that the second sea defence was a failure but who is correct,  the RNLI person or the "planning experts" on the CCBC ?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2024, 01:26:53 pm »
Hugo you know as well as I do. This is a stupid man made mess,  those so called sand dunes they have made by the new pumping station are causing the sand to blow more,, we know since they put them 2 rock grounds there that has been the problem.   It?s not rocket science as the sand is only a problem there,,,, colwyn bay / rhos the sand is already blowing over the roa,,,   Why.  Because like west shore the sand is dry, I?ve listened and spoke to the so called council experts,, say no more. 😳😤😂.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2024, 02:44:58 pm »
I think you will find the "expert" was a Dr Philip Barber who was the consultant to Aberconwy BC - long before CCBC was created.

If you Google him you will see other brilliant schemes he was involved in!

Online Hugo

« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2024, 03:12:23 pm »
I think you will find the "expert" was a Dr Philip Barber who was the consultant to Aberconwy BC - long before CCBC was created.

If you Google him you will see other brilliant schemes he was involved in!

I've tried to Google him Cambrian but this came up:-
Philip Barber is Associate Professor of Neurology and Adjunct Professor of Departments of Radiology and Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary
Surely it can't be the Dr Philip Barber because he'd need his own head examined if it was     :o

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2024, 06:50:48 pm »
He was trading as Shoreline Management Partnership.  He is on the Breakwaters Committee of the Institution of Civil Engineers where there is a biog.  I found that with no problem!

Online Hugo

« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2024, 11:04:53 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, with all the additional info you supplied I have been able to trace the culprit.     No amount of qualifications can replace common sense or local knowledge as he has proved to the detriment of the West Shore

Online Hugo

« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2024, 10:37:39 pm »
Shelters on Llandudno prom will be demolished and replaced
The new structures will replicate the Victorian design of the previous replacements
The Welsh Government?s Brilliant Basics Scheme will fund replacing three of the five remaining promenade shelters and the UK Shared Prosperity Fund will replace two shelters.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shelters-llandudno-prom-demolished-replaced-28493105

This article was in the Daily Post 11 years ago
Going back to Victorian times: plans for promenade shelters based on 1899 design
There are hopes to replace the "ugly monstrosities" of the 1960s concrete shelters on Llandudno seafront
And Mostyn Estates managing director Edward Hiller said in addition to offering to make a financial contribution, the company had been able to supply the county council with the plans for the original shelters.
I wonder if Mostyn Estates did offer to make a financial contribution to these proposed new shelters?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/going-back-victorian-times-plans-5318345