Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 108002 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »
See what you mean Fester, nice to see you and Mrs F again, but when I left you I noticed that the prom was quiet to what it can be. Large gaps between people!
Hope things pick up !

Nice to see you too Nem!
It might pick up, who knows.
But by 4pm the shop opposite me, and 2 of the four further up had given up and gone.  Very strange to see.
I'm still here, and will stay til 6pm or so.... but I fear I am more ornament than use!   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »
Lets be honest,CCBC are not helping,god help us if they turn the Grand hotel into the new Rothesay,we will have drugies trying to swim in the waterfeature in the happy valley and then they will have to fill it.This rabbit statue is bizzar,i thought Mr Gorka could not open the tram stop on highway issues yet they encourage kids to cross the road to see the statue,double standards or what and the main reason upper Mostyn st is quiet is there is no light life for our youngsters and definately nothing for the yougsters of Colwyn Bay,LLanwrst,,Penmaenmawr so they all kkkkkkknow go to Bangor,our pubs loss,but who cares.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:21 pm »
We had Lunch in Fortes today, it was packed, every table taken.

A week or two back, we called in at the new Fortes Ice Cream Parlour. Thta was also full, with a queue out of the door.

Offline pebbles

« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2015, 01:45:37 pm »
By 5pm, all the gift shops were shut, including those who used to stay until 8pm as a minimum at this time of year.
It's sad to see, and it was previously unheard of.   This is July 10th!!  :o

I know i can't win this argument with you Fester, as my previous post in this thread also got skipped over and after all i'm only a visitor.... but bollocks did people stay open til 8pm!!! Not since the 90s mate. I have been in LL for the first 2 weeks of july pretty much my entire life, and most days or teatimes trot down the pier, as my last post said most pack up by 4pm and if the weather is good they last til towards 6 but not many. None in the bottom half of the pier were open til 8. But you'll disagree, and everyone will side with you ;) So i'll be off! Btw, nice sunny day last week - you weren't even open til past 11am, naughty ;) There was a massive queue of people at your hut that then went elsewehere  :laugh: Ok i'm kidding about the people.. but still...  ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2015, 11:58:49 pm »
Pebbles,  colourfully put... and your observations are as valid as anyone, but....

I keep detailed records of my own opening hours, and I liaise with those shops that surround me.
Last July, I personallly opened til 8pm on 12 days in July, and never closed before 7pm on any day.

However, the Ceramics and Collectables shop opened MUCH later than me, and were always open when I closed.
I thought they were mad, but they said they enjoyed it,and got the odd customer.

Now, they close by 5pm everyday.... and say goodnight to me, and I am the the last one open, closing at 6pm.

The Jokes shop often paid a member of staff to stay til 9pm,  but again they have ceased to do that this year.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:43 am »
More good news about the season thus far:

Occupancy rates in hotels, guesthouses, bed and breakfasts and self-catering units have risen in the first five months of the year.  The Wales Occupancy Survey figures showed hotels had the smallest rise with 61% of rooms being filled compared to 60% over the same period in 2014.

But you'll disagree, and everyone will side with you

Not everyone, Pebbles. Many agree with your assessment and every scrap of objective research confirms it. In fact, I'd argue that it's specifically the pier where there may well be a drop off in trade, and that could be for a variety of reasons.  But dredging up my own memories of childhood I can remember just how silent the town became after about 6.00pm.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:27 am »
I remember Sundays .omg it was a ghost town,bring on the extended shopping hours please

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2015, 09:01:37 am »
Still is in Colwyn Bay

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2015, 11:56:38 am »
Still is in Colwyn Bay

Ditto Llandudno... after 4pm.
Fester...

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »
Fester,
from knowing and speaking to many people who have varied businesses in Llandudno from multiple outlets to one man operations many say exactly what you have been writing here.
Even the manager of one of the largest delivered wholesalers in the country who again supplies hotels, shop and cafes agrees with your synopsis of current trading not just in the town of Llandudno but the whole of the county, trade is not what it was nor should be.
As for the pier it is nonsense to say Llandudno pier has always been quiet of an evening, there were times when the pier was packed out of an evening with many of the kiosks doing a brisk trade in many of their wares.
There is no doubt in my mind that people want a lot more for less, hence the smart looking pound shops and the likes of Home Bargains being so successful, a great range of lines with many attracted to the stores.
Ask many of the established hoteliers in the town how they are having to struggle with room rates that are in real terms below what they were achieving some years back.
The same applies, if not worse for the hotels who rely on coaches, many operators want more for less such as all inclusive deals on drinks and a full entertainment programme and extended credit and the right to cancel a coach at short notice if they can't fill the coach!
factor in the new living wage, work based pensions and the postponed business rate view you can see why many like Fester are considering putting their feet up for a rest.
As ever there are still opportunities for many to make a fair profit but the good old days have been on the wane for many a year.
The one thing no one has control over is the weather, the weather has the power to make or break a good Summer season and like King Canute  we have no control over mother nature!

Offline pebbles

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2015, 06:39:39 pm »

As for the pier it is nonsense to say Llandudno pier has always been quiet of an evening, there were times when the pier was packed out of an evening with many of the kiosks doing a brisk trade in many of their wares.

I remember that too, very happy memories - my point was though that apart from weekends in school holidays it has mostly not happened from about 2000 onwards :(

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2015, 07:31:39 pm »
These days, everyone wants a bargain, so when they look in shops, they can go on their smart phones and compare prices. As for pound shops it is known that a lot is not as cheap as some folk think, smaller sizes especially seem to be the case with some items! We had a drive around Llandudno this afternoon, lots of people (and scooters!) around,  I would derived if they were spending much?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2015, 03:50:57 am »
This predictive text is a pain! That last sentence should read.. 'I wonder if they were spending much? '
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2015, 10:30:51 am »
This predictive text is a pain! That last sentence should read.. 'I wonder if they were spending much? '

That's the first thing I switch off with any new phone/tablet, plus the keyboard click.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2016, 12:59:43 am »
An interesting BBC investigation, trying to lift the lid on illegal Charedi schools, the narrow type of education they offer and the fact they are registered as charities as a tax advantage!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35928801
Fester...