Author Topic: The Changing Face of Llandudno  (Read 107783 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Changing Face of Llandudno
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2015, 05:16:17 pm »
Hopefully the 'Monkey Man' has been teleported to a distant galaxy never to return.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2015, 07:43:23 pm »
Still going strong.................saw him on Monday, dressed as an Indian Chief.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2015, 10:11:18 am »
Who the  :o is the monkey man?

Offline Nemesis

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:43 pm »
Ormegolf should be able to tell us how bad or good things are with tourist numbers

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »
Hello Wrex. No, I am not a good barometer of tourist numbers. Reason being that, for a start, I am far too dependant on weather. The whole town could be heaving but rain and wind will put them all off golf up the Orme. But more importantly, I don't have sufficient footfall at any time to give a good assessment. If I have ten groups of average three people I have had a reasonably good day. If I have five, its poor. If I have 15 its excellent. So you will appreciate I might get a trend over several months, but not much else.
   Just out of interest, I am just about level pegging with last year

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »
you mean its on parr Mike

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:14 am »
I disagree with this comment,llandudno needs its fair share of loons,we had plenty in the past,the pole,the Baptist I could go on but only if you were from Llandudno would you know them by their  first names.there must have been at least a dozen in the 60s each one  different  the pole singing in polish at the top of his voice in the street which nobody understood,the Baptist reciting parts of the old testament as he walked along, the man pushing a dog along in a shopping trolley whos name escapes me but he stole my shirt whilst we were putting a new front on a shop halfway down madoc street the mad hatter had nothing on him he did not have a watch but had an alarm clock on a piece of string tied to the inside of his old mack,as I was sat in the car today in madoc street waiting for the wife the man with the monkey came out of the tattoo shop to have his photo taken with the shop owner and it brought back memories of past times.these people done no harm to no one.      so BRING ON THE LOONS

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2015, 09:08:38 am »
I disagree with this comment,llandudno needs its fair share of loons,we had plenty in the past,the pole,the Baptist I could go on but only if you were from Llandudno would you know them by their  first names.there must have been at least a dozen in the 60s each one  different  the pole singing in polish at the top of his voice in the street which nobody understood,the Baptist reciting parts of the old testament as he walked along, the man pushing a dog along in a shopping trolley whos name escapes me but he stole my shirt whilst we were putting a new front on a shop halfway down madoc street the mad hatter had nothing on him he did not have a watch but had an alarm clock on a piece of string tied to the inside of his old mack,as I was sat in the car today in madoc street waiting for the wife the man with the monkey came out of the tattoo shop to have his photo taken with the shop owner and it brought back memories of past times.these people done no harm to no one.      so BRING ON THE LOONS
Bring back Billy Bennett!  :laugh:

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2015, 12:37:00 pm »
that's the man  mr billy bennet

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:15 pm »
and there was another character collecting tin in hand at the punch and judy,TONY BURTON if you had worked a long hard week you would say ive worked more hours than TONY BURTON this week.he sold papers in the afternoon acted as pall bearer when required and would pick up furniture at ball and boyd and push it all around town on  a handcart also delivered flyers for the shows in town and pasted the whats on on  the local sandwich boards

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:02 pm »
and there was another character collecting tin in hand at the punch and judy,TONY BURTON if you had worked a long hard week you would say ive worked more hours than TONY BURTON this week.he sold papers in the afternoon acted as pall bearer when required and would pick up furniture at ball and boyd and push it all around town on  a handcart also delivered flyers for the shows in town and pasted the whats on on  the local sandwich boards
Did he used to sell papers outside Woolworths at one time?

Online Hugo

« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:36 pm »
I remember Tony very well and as you say he worked all day long doing various jobs.   I remember one evening meeting him by the North Western Hotel, as it was then and Tony was absolutely shattered but he still had a delivery to do in the Craig Y Don area.  I could tell he was exhausted so I delivered it for him and he appreciated the gesture..   .   

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:40 pm »
yes tony did sell papers outside woolworths,but I don't think the pitchs were exclusive,i think it was first up best dressed.they were also sold outside  burtons and stylo.there were two papers sold in the afternoon the LIVERPOOL ECHO and the MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS,the papers came into town by rail and were picked up and taken to have local news printed in a column  on the left.we used to sit in the back of a morris 1000 van with the rear doors open and speed around town street sellers first then the shops.it was great if you got your paper on the street first

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2015, 03:28:15 pm »
                 I seem to remember that Tony Burton also worked "on the bins", as I can remember him carrying a dustbin on his back,(as they did in those days) wearing Hank Marvin specs and what looked like size 15 boots on! Another "character" from those days who also sold papers was Wally Garside aka "Wally Fag" who used to drive a motor scooter and sidecar and also used to wear a "Flook" costume advertising the cartoon character from the Daily Mail on various occasions.
                 Hugo, very sorry to hear you have been ill recently, good to hear you are on the road to recovery now, and I echo your words on the NHS staff. When I had my hip replacement last year in Yspyti Gwynedd my treatment from the first consultation, preops, and the operation and subsequent therapy was absolutely first class.