The Local > Local News & Discussion

The Changing Face of Llandudno

(1/72) > >>

Fester:
Now to introduce a topic which may spark a lot of controversy, but that is not the intention.

You see there is a very different type of demographic visiting Llandudno these days, and it has accelerated in the last year.
It is a subject that is sensitive in many ways,  but it is not a subject we should be frightened of discussing.

I note with interest that the old MotorWorld shop in Upper Mostyn street is opening as an Asian takeaway.
That will make 3 in Upper Mostyn Street,  another planned for the old Vollams shop.... and if you include Bengal Dynasty and The Asia restaurant, that is 6 in total for a very small area.
Nothing wrong with that per se, but it does show the different type of products and services being demanded these days.

The Wales tourist board assures us that visitor numbers have never been higher.
This might be true, I don't know, but as I write this I am sat on an almost deserted pier in the middle of June!

The few people who are here, are not what you would think of as the traditional seaside visitor.
The challenge is to cater for what they want to buy, if indeed they are willing (or able) to buy anything!

In addition, I have seen 4 large school parties today.   
A massive amount of 'people', but due to 'political correctness' the parents are under strict instruction NOT to send any money with them, as they are not allowed to spend anything, (for fear of embarrassing children who cannot)

Certain traditional businesses have proved to be unviable and closed down in the last year or so, and several others are 'giving it one last go this year'

Llandudno is certainly changing, and the speed of it seems be quicker than most people ever thought possible.

born2run:
Of course Llandudno is changing. The old people who make up the core of traditional visitors are dying out (quite literally)
If Llandudno wants to survive it needs to either cater for families (such as places like St Ives in Cornwall, or Southport nearer to home) or drunks and chavs (Like Blackpool)

Apart from Bonkers fun house and a small play area and arcade on the pier it is not catering for the first lot, and with not a single pub charging much less than £3.50 a pint it's not catering for the second lot either. (Not that I'm saying it should cater to either necessarily)

But if you want the town and it's businesses to 'survive' then the target market needs to change.

DaveR:
Old people are dying out?  :laugh:

SteveH:

--- Quote ---Fester...I note with interest that the old MotorWorld shop in Upper Mostyn street is opening as an Asian takeaway.
That will make 3 in Upper Mostyn Street,  another planned for the old Vollams shop.... and if you include Bengal Dynasty and The Asia restaurant, that is 6 in total for a very small area
--- End quote ---
I personally feel that upper Mostyn St. needs more quality restaurants and Bistro's ..not takeaways,... Food tourism is big business and this area has the potential.

--- Quote ---B2R...But if you want the town and it's businesses to 'survive' then the target market needs to change.
--- End quote ---

$good$ $good$

Michael:
   I've nothing much to say on this topic except that my friend Born2Run is incorrect in his opening statement. Sorry about that,
 Quote "The old people etc etc." Not so, according to every single available statistic from wherever you like. At the shall I say top end of the age range, yes, deaths take their toll. But entry into this elite group (note elite. I'm one of them HaHa) is beating the exits hand over fist. Watch out, if this carries on we will be overrun by them.
  Now if you were to say that the new intake have different standards, different desires, different behaviour that is a different matter and I wouldn't like to get involved in an argument on that subject

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version