Author Topic: Three Castles Rally 2015  (Read 5408 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Three Castles Rally 2015
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »
WATCH:Llandudno waves the Three Castles Rally off

Under glorious skies some of the very finest vintage cars set off this morning in The Three Castles Rally from Llandudno.

Now in its 13th year more than 80 interesting and rare vehicles are taking part.

Over three days the classic cars will snake their way around some of North Wales’ finest landmarks.
Organiser Ian Crammond said he enjoyed travelling from his west London home to raise money for local causes.
He said: “It’s about putting money into North Wales and people coming back again and again.
“This year we have collected for blind veterans in Llandudno and have raised about £3,500 so far.
“Wales has a great rally heritage, so a lot of people are delighted with the event.
“And people say I am a lucky organiser - just look at the weather.”

One notable vehicle taking part this year is the Alfa Romeo 6c1750 Grand Sport Testa Sissa driven by the first winner of the Grand Prix, Giuseppe “Nino” Farina.
Ian said: “It’s a priceless treasure. Some people estimate it’s value in the millions.”
Today the car is owned by Dutch couple Evert and Josine Louwman.

Other delights include a 163 Series 1 E-Type Jaguar, driven by Jon Goodwin and a classic Bentley Tourer.
Any car made before December 31, 1981, is eligible to join in the fun and the rally is split into two categories.
The Welsh Classic Trial comprises cars back to the 1950’s, and includes models such as Triumphs and Healeys,
Meanwhile The Welsh Heritage Trial showcases cars pre-1955, pre-disc brake cars.

Ian added: “I do love it. It’s been 13 years and it’s part of the Llandudno summer.
“We feel at home and it’s a real pleasure.”
PHOTOS    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watchllandudno-waves-three-castles-rally-9389289

Offline SteveH

Re: Three Castles Rally 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
Anybody know the itinerary for this year?...

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »
Today (Thursday) was down the Llyn, I've been at Nant Gwrtheyrn all day running the hillclimb.

Tomorrow (Friday) they're doing a big loop which involves Bangor-on-Dee Racecourse, Chirk Castle, Lake Vyrnwy and Glan-y-Gors Kart Circuit, plus other places, but I'm afraid I don't know in what order - I am marshalling at Glyn-y-Gors.  Information is very sketchy but cars are due on track from about 1pm.

Saturday they start from the Orme Summit at 7am.  First test from the Half-way Station down to the Church.  Second test runs from the Church to the Tollhouse (Pier end).  In the afternoon they return and the rest runs from the Rest & Be Thankful Cafe to finish at the Halfway Station (i.e. the wrong way around the Marine Drive).  Marine Drive and the road up past the church are closed to cars, cyclists, walkers and animals from midnight Friday!

Finish on Saturday afternoon on the Prom, not sure of the time, but mid-afternoon.

I'm not very involved this year (have been Chief Marshal for past four years) so not got much info, hope the above is of some help!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:51:56 pm »
Hi DVT,    I was hoping you were around, Thanks for that, all the best..... $walesflag$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
A few pics from yesterday morning.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 03:03:00 pm »
http://www.three-castles.co.uk/welsh-classic-trial/the-rally/      WEB SITE

Day Three: Tests & Bests

Saturday 6th June 2015
An exciting final day including plenty of driving tests, a few regularities on the quieter lanes, peerless Mostyn Hall and the popular Kinmel Arms.

Two new tests over the Great Orme start the day before we drive east, exploring different roads this time on the way to a test at Gyrn Castle and a popular break at C16th Mostyn Hall, where we pause for morning coffee. There’s a little extra surprise in our next, new new test venue, before we reach the day’s most remote regularity, which takes us over hill and through forest to Kinmel Park and a splendid lunch at the Kinmel Arms.

On then to a real Three Castles finale, visiting yet more stately homes and enjoying a last long spectacular hill-climb over closed roads on the Great Orme, before reaching the Grand Finish on Llandudno Promenade. Laze away the rest of the afternoon, ready for the Black Tie Gala Awards Dinner, from eight ’til late. 

More than four hundred and fifty miles in three days. Open roads and real hospitality at every turn. Your feedback tells us that the Three Castles mix is unbeatable. And in 2015, with fresh ideas and familiar high standards, we aim to prove it again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 03:06:34 pm »
Great pics ME,   That Jag, He better not leave the keys in it when I am around......Drooling   ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
Great pics ME,   That Jag, He better not leave the keys in it when I am around......Drooling   ;)

Thanks Steve, Both of those Jaguars were fantastic! A worderful 4 1/2  litre Bentley too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

Re: Three Castles Rally 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 11:44:18 am »
Hi DVT,  Just read that you were marshaling at the 3Castles , I am sorry I missed the Prom day, can you let me know the  itinerary for this year please..........  $thanx$

Offline DVT

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »
Marshaled the Three Castles on Anglesey yesterdray, this morning was near Melin-y-Wig doing a road control, then another near Gwytherin this afternoon.

Local day tomorrow but have to be on the Orme for 0545 - doing time-keeping at the stop line on the West Shire end in the morning, then doing the start control near Rest & Be Thankful for the afternoon run.

Some fantastic cars on display - don't know which I'd choose - certainly the XK150 would be on the shortlist!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »
Thanks for that , what time are you at Westshore? .....and are the cars "on show" again like the prom?  $good$

Offline DVT

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »
Afternoon test runs the "wrong way" from RABT to the Halfway station - first car approx 2pm.  Note, however, that the Marine Drive is closed to cars, cyclists and walkers during the running of the tests, but in the afternoon you can walk as far as RABT from the West Shore end.  From RABT car park you can see the cars descend past the lighthouse for some distance, and enjoy refreshment at the same time!

Next weekend (Sunday 12th) North Wales Car Club will be running the Autotest event on the West Shore Promenade, from about 10am until about 4pm.  Last year attracted a lot of spectators, who are welcome, but please stay behind the walls!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »
Managed to catch the finish on the Prom , most enjoyable, very good afternoon great weather and conversation with spectators and owners, I fell for the 1937 Jaguar SS100 I asked casually "what do these go for" ..........just turned down £600,000 this morning !!!!!!!!!!  back to dreaming.
Anybody got any photos?

DVT see you next week.