Author Topic: Royal Mail  (Read 26996 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Royal Mail
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:27 am »
OMG This sounds like a panto.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:38 am »
Can someone who has already been up there please confirm the road leading up to Royal Mail office and the Visitors Car Park have both been treated ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 09:45:04 am »
I asked them to double check as I KNEW that various items had been sent to me.... and after another 10 minutes wait,  mysteriously 7 items were handed to me.

When I queried why this happened, I was just told ..''take a look in there mate, its piled high...chaos''

The letter pigeon holes will all be full to overflowing, that's true, but it's incumbent upon them to make every effort to find the stuff for those who make the time and effort needed to reach the sorting offices.  However, as always, it's down to the quality of the individuals manning the desks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 09:45:43 am »
Britain's decline into a third world country continues...

Offline Dave

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 09:49:29 am »
Whereas I can empathise to a certain extent, the Post Office 's performance during this recent poor weather has been abysmal.What was probably a justifiable decision to avoid going out for the first day  has snowballed ( sorry!) into a situation that appears to be chaos. There is no justification for avoiding deliveries in many places where a delivery hasn't been made in days and now the situation has gone out of control through the sheer weight of post at this time of year.
This is another nail in the coffin for snail mail and I too might resort to electronic communication in the future

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
I agree Bri.
But sadly they haven't yet invented an electronic way of getting the contents of my parcels to materialize in my house.

I avoid snail mail at every opportunity.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:59:46 am »
I've noticed the private couriers like DHL seem to be operating normally?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:24:00 am »
We've just been to the delivery office, road clear to the visitors car park only 3 spaces plus 2 disabled, so had to park in their drive! a few people waiting and I got 3 letters i'm sure there must be more! Yesterday we had a delivery by courier with no problem at all, I imagine its down to health and safety and not wanting to compensate injured postmen, all part of the mad world we live in  :rage:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:05:03 am »
Apparently the Royal Mail have left it up to their carriers as to if they think its safe for them to deliver or not.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2010/12/21/snow-impacts-north-wales-christmas-business-55578-27859423/

I've done some work at the RMG in Chesterfield and the staff their are beyond despondent for a variety of reasons. It really does seem as if the Royal Mail is down for the count and the vultures are circling overhead.

Offline Sara

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:02 am »
Just collected quite a big pile of mail and 1 parcel. Busy but not heaving. Chatting to a postman outside, a postman broke his ankle, the other day so health and safety have said they can't deliver to anywhere not gritted.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »
The doorbell rang at about noon and there stood our usual postman with a pile of mail and two parcels. Apparently things are being delivered if there are parcels!
Our road and pavements are still lethal so the gritting factor didn't enter into it. How odd-- perhaps they are running out of space. Silly thing was one of the parcels was a free sample of doggie treats. Bet they wouldn't have delivered that if they'd known.  Result--- one very pleased pup ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »
I’ve been to the Royal Mail Sorting Office and I agree the car park is full but actually there were only half a dozen local residents collecting their post.

There were three or four lads on the counter.

They were all cheerful and fairly quick to gather a few items of post for me and everyone else.

I would imagine the car park must be full of cars belonging to postmen.

I have also driven up Narrow Lane in Llandudno Junction this afternoon where the road is a mix of slush and ice but I could not help noticing the entrance into the new Welsh Assembly Government Building was perfectly clear and it does not appear to have been affected at all by the weather.  *&(

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 06:35:59 pm »
Visted the sorting office today at 4:30pm. The car park was very busy but found a space OK. People were queing out the door and it took about 20 minutes to get served.
I agree Bri, very good happy staff even though not all the customers were.
They weren't answering the phone though, it must have rung continuiously when we were there.
We still didn't get a parcel we have been expecting for the last 8 days.

I just hope Royal Mail don't get an ideas for the future about reducing costs and start only delivering once or twice a week !!!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:57 pm »
its called a delivery centre, perhaps it should be renamed a collection point  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »
Jason,
Perhaps you should do what I did, look despondant and ask if they are really, really sure....  then your parcel might well be forthcoming!

My haul went from zero to seven by doing that.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -