Author Topic: John Owen(s) bn abt 1849 Llangwystennin  (Read 5112 times)

Offline jom

John Owen(s) bn abt 1849 Llangwystennin
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:47:48 am »
Iv'e posted similarly before on Llandudno Local but with a potentially greater audience, thought I'd try again!

I'm trying to determine the date of birth for the above ancestor of mine (baptism record perhaps).

He was born to John Owen(s) and Susannah nee JONES.  John Snr bn abt 1821 Llandudno was a copper Miner and labourer.  He and Susannah lived at Pen Y Ffrith (Llandudno) 1861, Gogarth Cott., (Llandudno) 1871 and Gas Works Cott Eglwys Rhos 1881.  They had 5 children, John Jnr being the oldest.  The others were
Edward bn abt 1853, a labourer in 1871
William bn abt 1858, a sailor in 1881
Ellinor bn abt 1860
Elizabeth Jane bn Jun 1863, a general servant

John Jnr, a boatman, labourer and Pier Ticket Examiner married Margaret JONES (daughter of Hugh and Sarah of Adwy Rhydd) and had 7 children.  When Margaret died he remarried Laura ROBERTS

Emily Agnes bn 1874, married David DAVIES and had 7 children
John bn abt 1874, a pierman/ 2nd mate on the pier? married Margaret Ellen OWEN (not a known relative)
William Hugh bn 1877, a pier labourer who married Catherine BARNES and had 2 children (Florence and Glyn)
Susannah Anne bn 1878 and married William Elliott WILLIAMS of Old Telegraph Llandudno
Robert who probably died as a child
Sarah Ann bn 1882 who married Daniel O'CONNELL of Bristol and had several children
Thomas Henry bn 1885 who married Sarah THOMAS

Children he had with Laura ROBERTS were
Ellinor bn 1890 who married Walter BARLOW and had a son John Richard.  Walter was a green grocer asst. and they lived in Bay View Terr.
Edward bn 1895 worked for the council as a labourer

If any of this sounds familiar etc or are going to Llangwystennin church I would be VERY grateful for ANY information on any one of these people.  I have most census entries
Ever hopeful

$thanx$
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:56:52 am by jom »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: John Owen(s) bn abt 1849 Llangwystennin
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »
The record of John Owen(s)' birth should be available at the Conwy Archives, Lloyd Street Llandudno.  If you are unable to visit there personally they may be able to give you the info by e-mail, letter or the phone.   Sorry but I haven't got their contact details.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:11 pm »
By the way Llangwstenin is only a small village but in the 1800's  the Parish of Llangwstenin covered a large area that is now covered by a number of towns and villages.  So John Owen(s) may have been born somewhere other than the actual village of Llangwstenin.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:20:29 pm by Hugo »

Offline jom

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:36 am »
Thanks both for the information, much appreciated. 
Unfortunately I'm about as far away as you can get  .... New Zealand with temps of 30 degrees today and scorching sunshine :D
I'll try contacting them before Xmas!!
Hopefully i might get some answers to this infernal enigma!
 $salute$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:33:03 pm »
Have you tried this site?

Ancestry.co.uk™
Start Your Family Tree With A Free 14 Day Trial at Ancestry.co.uk™!
www.ancestry.co.ukFree 14 Day Trial
Search Records Build Your Family Tree
Search Census Records

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »
For a birth certificate your best bet might be the General Records office, through the BMD website, if you locate a John Owen on a search and then fill in a request for a birth certificate putting in the names of his parents  they will tell you if you have the wrong John. It's also cheaper to order from the GRO, The last time I ordered a certificate from them it was £7. Ancestry charges about £12, you can use Ancestry's search engines and then  go to the GRO with the  details! If you haven't got a marriage certificate from John and Susannah I would recommend a search as the certificate provides the names addresses and occupations of both fathers.

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »
Hi, just did a search  and found the marriage of John Owens to Susannah Jones  Llangystennin in 1949, this suggests the birth of John Junior may be later than 1949, good luck if I can help in any way let me know

Offline BrianP

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »
Hi,
The GRO charge £9.25 for a certificate
Brian

Offline jom

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 04:10:46 am »
VERY many thanks for ALL the responses.  I subscribe to ancestry hence the census data but despite the marriage cert of his parents, which I have, I haven't been able to track down his date of birth.  It seems aslo that his birth may not have been  registered as I have tried several references over the years.

HOWEVER, I followed Hugo and DaveR's advice and emailed the archives and guess what ...  they have replied already.  Althought it is not the date of birth, they have given me a baptism date.  9 Sep 1849 at Llangwstennin parish.  Father John, a miner and mother Susannah, of Maes which is where they are listed in the 1851 census.  I suspected that he may have almost been born a little too quickly for their marriage!!  Might re look at the BMDs now I have a better idea re the date.

So thanks again for your help.  If anyone recognises any names as part of their family etc. would love to share
Best wishes for Xmas and hope you're not too cold ;D
Jo