Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 198562 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #345 on: February 23, 2017, 10:41:18 am »
A lot of bridges closed and sailings stopped.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #346 on: February 23, 2017, 11:31:32 am »
Thanks Steve, it could have been a lot worse judging from that link that you've posted.    I'm just going to have to put my feet up and relax and read the paper for the rest of the day.       ;D
Just remembered that I need to take our dog out for his walk so I'll do that next.
We've got a taste of how Mull feels up there with those Scottish Winters

Do be careful Hugo. I have just attempted to take Frizzy out and we are a lot lower than you. It blew him off his feet and I had to hang on to a gate. We didn't go far ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #347 on: February 23, 2017, 11:53:48 am »
Up to date Doris news including Col. Bay pier and prom video......and tree down on the Orme

Tom D. Live blog
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-storm-doris-80mph-gales-12642508

Offline SteveH

« Reply #348 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
Sorry Hugo I just couldnt resist........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #349 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »
I've taken Marco for a quick walk up the road and everything was ok apart from getting wet for a second time today.   They were cutting the tree up that was blocking the road when I had the walk.  Thank goodness that I didn't go earlier as I would have passed that spot where the tree fell down.
It's a good job that the wind was blowing from the north as the West Shore area would have been like the Sahara Desert with this storm.  I did notice that some winds were WNW so perhaps the West Shore didn't escape the storm after all.

You never know with the weather Steve but he could look like this later on today.

Offline catlover

Storm Doris
« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2017, 02:15:31 pm »
 Hi Catlover returns ! Can anyone post a video of storm Doris in Llandudno ? Or photos . I'm miles away , but wondered if it's arrived in Llandudno yet .  Thanks CL

Offline SteveH

Re: Storm Doris
« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2017, 03:12:12 pm »
Hi Catlover returns ! Can anyone post a video of storm Doris in Llandudno ? Or photos . I'm miles away , but wondered if it's arrived in Llandudno yet .  Thanks CL
Look at the great british weather debate thread on this forum there are links to news blogs... http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-storm-doris-80mph-gales-12642508

Offline Jack

« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
Fame again Hugo - your picture was used by Derek on Wales Today this evening  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »
Yes,  I saw it on the BBC Wales news tonight.     $good$

Luckily no one was hurt by the falling tree but a friend told me that her bus had not long gone past when it fell down and also she said that a woman pushing a pram by the tree heard it crack and then ran over to the other side of the road and so avoided getting herself or the baby hurt.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2017, 06:05:50 pm »
North Wales set for hottest weekend of the year
The region is set to bask in sunshine as thermometers rocket to 20C on Sunday.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-set-hottest-weekend-12855595#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:30 am »
Oh, dear; another case of the DP's usually restrained and factual style just gone out of the window. Since when did 20C qualify as 'hot' and how can a gentle rise to that comfortable temperature be described as 'rocketing'? This is more the style I'd associate with the DFM or the Express than the DP.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2017, 01:06:12 pm »
I hesitate before posting, but it might be of some help to gardeners if nothing else.

Arctic blast to bring ice, frost and snow to North Wales
Temperatures are set to plummet to single figures following the driest April in six years.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/arctic-blast-bring-ice-frost-12923807

Offline SteveH

« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:14 pm »
I have been enjoying the view of the snow on the tops in the sunshine this morning, and for a minute there I thought we were going to join them, but the hail passed very quickly.

We might be heading into May, but some parts of North Wales were waking up to a blanket of snow this morning.
There have been reports of snowfall in Bala and areas of Snowdonia today as the country experiences an unseasonable icy arctic blast.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/snow-wales-april-cold-snap-12940577

Offline hollins

« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:24 pm »
Mr H took this photo this morning.

Offline mull

« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:36 am »
Been a wild week so far up here with the wind from the Artic.
Good video on Ships of Calmac Forum showing conditions yesterday crossing the Minch. Taken from the bridge of the Loch Seaforth on the Stornoway- Ullapool service. Like the remark "first time seen the stabaliser out of the water".

http://twitter.com/jagrass/status/856828945882378240