Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199657 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 02:28:34 am »
I know  two local restaurants  have had all bookings cancelled  tonight from being originally fully booked. :'( there must be more as this is the busiest night of the year for staff parties
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:30:20 am by suepp »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:41 am »
Just returned in from feeding everything. 9" of snow in the back garden-- the pup thinks it is wonderful, but I'm not so sure !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:25 am »
Just come back from walking in Colwyn Heights and there has been more snow overnight and there were two mini snow ploughs out in St Andrews Road.     The Pen Y Bryn Car park is covered in deep snow and just one chap digging out a driveway from the gate to the front door. Looks like 4 X 4 vehicles only for the car park.
No milk,bread or papers at the shop but I got my lottery ticket just in case and only one lady working there as the others probably hadn't been able to make it to work.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 10:28:34 am »
Just returned in from feeding everything. 9" of snow in the back garden-- the pup thinks it is wonderful, but I'm not so sure !

Glad Frizzy likes the snow, has he come in covered in snowballs?   Marco likes it too and when he comes in his legs are covered in them but at least he enjoys it.  The snow is quite deep here and we had another snowfall overnight.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 10:50:15 am »
It's all very pretty and festive but can we have a thaw now please so I can go to work?

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 10:55:36 am »
A real "I don't believe it" Victor Meldrew moment. A gritter has just made it up the Orme.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 11:32:29 am »
CCBC has drawn from their pool of standby farmers with tractors and snow ploughs to clear the rural roads, but in many cases scraping off the top layer of snow simply makes it worse. The big 4 x 4s manage well in thick snow, but not when the road has been scraped unless it's also been heavily gritted.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 12:23:54 pm »
Main road from colwyn bay to llandudno is clear, no. 12 buses are now running normally. Side roads are melting fast but still dangerous in places.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »
Our local farmer went past with his big red tractor and snow-plough, last night and first thing this morning.

The weight of snow is making the lower branches on our monkey puzzle tree hang down!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »
Have been in central Llandudno all day - in that time, I've not seen one council employee, van, lorry. The pavements along the main shopping streets are absolutely lethal. I would call CCBC's response pathetic but that would imply that they had actually done something...and they haven't. If I was a shop, cafe, bar owner in Llandudno, I would be raising hell about this on one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Credit to the Victoria Centre who cleared the entire pavement along their frontage.

Yorkie

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 03:02:00 pm »
I remember years ago we would all clear our own frontages and throw out the cold ashes from the coal fires which we kept for such a purpose.  They were great for making the pavements easier to walk on.

In this weather you cannot expect the Council to do everything, especially as their workers are probably having the same problems as us with getting around.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »
I don't expect them to do everything, however, I do expect them to do something. If they can't at very least make an attempt to keep the busiest street in the whole of Conwy County free from snow, then what hope is there? They managed to do it a few years ago when we had heavy snow.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »
Never mind the snow Hugo I just want your dog, its gorgeous  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »
I have just seen a gritter lorry go past, driven by a man living just up the road - he seems to be working flat out.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 06:14:00 pm »
In the old days, all of the Council's lorries had a bracket fitted on the front for use with a blade to clear snow, They also had a trailer attached with a salt spreading machine on, and a workman used to stand on the back of the lorry shovelling salt into it. This was used to clear all the flat minor roads in the area, leaving the main gritters to deal with the A roads.

In addition, two men in a tipper truck used to go around all the pedestrian crossings/bus shelters/main pavement areas in the town spreading grit/salt by hand.

What has happened to all this?