Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199674 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:09 pm »
Very heavy shower of snow in Llandudno/Colwyn Bay just now, has just passed over.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »
just been out in it, feeding the pigeons  D)

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »
Some photos of Llandudno this afternoon:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 03:45:48 pm »
Just got back indoors before another heavy shower of snow. Shocking underfoot in parts.
Heard this a.m. on the radio that Llanberis was cut off !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:36 pm »
That was about 2 inches of snow in half an hour here in Colwyn Bay. All roads are very dodgy, bus services have come to a halt - best stay indoors!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »
4" of snow on the roof of my car parked in the drive on the outskirts of Conwy - just measured it as a matter of interest!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
The scene in Rhos On Sea a little earlier:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:30:53 pm by DaveR »

Offline margo

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »
anyone going out in the car don't attempt maesdu bridge watching from the comfort of my living room there is single file traffic, wheel spinning, sliding back down the bridge and people trying to push the cars with not a lot of luck!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:21 pm »
Thanks for the info, Margo.  :)  If anyone has information relating to conditions in their local area, please feel free to post it on here.

Last time I heard from Fester, he was outside the Carlton in Llandudno helping to push a car that had hit the roundabout.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
it seems that you have it much worse than us this time. Here in Ruthin we had a light covering first thing with nothing much since, but the pavements are treacherous

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:48 pm »
My wife's Avon Lady has just called to our home on Liddell Park and said her daughter has just taken an hour to get from St Davids College !!!

Our eldest daughter was hoping to go home to Llan Jct by taxi but the taxis are only travelling within Llandudno and are not going out of town for the time being.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:08:42 pm by Bri Roberts »

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01:27 pm »
I needed to drop my son off at LL Junction station around 5pm this afternoon,couldn't get a taxi to go there and against all logic decided to try and get down from the Orme to the station.  That was possibly one of the most horrific 30 minutes journeys I have ever encountered. I've got a car with rear wheel drive that turns into a sledge when there is snow or frost about so it was never going to be easy. Ironically Black Gate was no problem  as that had been gritted following this mornings accident! Once I got beyond there I travelled downhill lifting my foot gradually off the brake pedal every time I'd managed to forget just how bad an experience I'd had last time I took my foot off the pedal. 2/3rds of the way down we encountered the first car struggling on the side of the road trying to get up the hill. Plenty of room for us both to struggle until an idiotic  boy racer decided to over take the car going up and headed straight for me. Fortunately he came to an abrupt halt on the snow as well.  So we were then all three cars going down the hill in a line me going forwards and sideways the other two going backwards and sideways. I got to the Empire hotel corner eventually and went slowly along Mostyn Street only to be confronted by a group of youths outside the Church treating the slow moving  cars as a coconut shy with snow balls. We then hit the tail of all the traffic stacked up by being moved through the ASDA junction by 2 harassed and unfortunately verbally abused  policemen.    At that point I decided that was it went back towards town and parked somewhere flat ! and walked up the hill for a well earned drink. The lessons to be learned from this experience is for my wife is to hide the car keys from me when ever it snows and for me to follow Hugo's advice and stay in the house with a coffee.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 07:14:14 pm »
Great photos of Rhos on Sea Dave, I could see the snow from my window and watched the cars going very slowly along the Promenade. Haven't seen it that bad for years.
We've had a lot of snow up on Colwyn Heights and when I tried to take a photo of the snow the flash came on, hence all the white dots all over the photo!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 07:48:13 pm »
Driving and walking back through town tonight at about 5pm and there being no cars parked so no shoppers made me wonder how much has been lost in takings by  shops on this last full Friday before Christmas.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »
Llanrwst and the hills around have had about 10 - 12" today;  A470 was cut off several times, but I think it's now clear.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.