Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 206672 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #675 on: January 04, 2022, 02:47:04 pm »
Met Office warns snow set to arrive in North Wales as temperatures plunge
Wintry weather is set to arrive in the region on Tuesday evening

It's very cold outside at the moment and the biting North wind is making things even colder.  So far we have only had a brief sleet shower but I can see the bad weather coming in across the rough  looking sea.    Hopefully we will avoid the worst of the predicted weather

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/met-office-warns-snow-set-22639184

Offline Hugo

« Reply #676 on: January 05, 2022, 01:06:41 pm »
LOOK: Nostalgic pictures show snowy North Wales weather from decades past

I'm old enough to remember some of those bad Winters and remember that 1962/63 was a particularly cold one

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/look-nostalgic-pictures-show-snowy-8047741

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #677 on: January 17, 2022, 12:20:16 pm »
Aurora Borealis Over the Great Orme, Llandudno

Llandudno Great Orme Friday the 14th January 2022 the Sky came alive with waves of lights dancing in the night sky and witnessed by thousands of  photographers as far as South of the UK.

video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxYoaHZaOlM&t=35s

Offline SteveH

« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2022, 10:18:57 am »
Met Office gives verdict on 'snowbomb' forecast to hit UK in late January
The forecasting service has published its long-range weather predictions up to the middle of February

A “snowbomb” has been forecast to drop more than ten inches of snow across the UK in late January - but the Met Office has said any unsettled weather is likely to be more localised.

Some meteorologists are predicting heavy snow nationwide on Friday, January 28, thanks to incoming Arctic winds.

But the Met Office said any changeable weather is set to be “predominantly” in the north and northwest of Britain – and will probably consist of rain, not snow, reports WalesOnline.

For the coming week, weather analysts say we will need to wrap up warm as temperatures plunge below zero overnight in Wales.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/met-office-gives-verdict-snowbomb-22782586

Offline SteveH

« Reply #679 on: January 27, 2022, 10:22:07 am »
The Met Office has hinted parts of the UK could see snow as early as next week ‘arctic air’ approaches.

“Snow showers” are expected in February as “wintry downpours” move down from the north and as far south as central England and the capital.

Meteorologists suggest we could see snowfall in the UK as temperatures plummet in the final month of winter with a hint of snow between February 1 and February 8.

Forecaster James Madden told the Express: “We are expecting to see some changes as we head into the final month of the winter.

“Cold and snow will encroach from the north during the early part of February, and some of these wintry downpours may reach as far south as central England and the capital."

Clare Nasir, a forecaster for the Met Office, added: “There will be Arctic air streaming down from the north delivering snow showers, particularly in the far north-east of the country.”

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19878442.uk-weather-met-office-share-snow-update-february-arctic-air-approaches/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #680 on: January 27, 2022, 05:05:13 pm »
That's comforting Steve!          &shake&

I had an astronomical fuel bill in November and am just getting over it.      I'll have to wear my Winter walking gear inside the house next week

Offline SteveH

« Reply #681 on: January 27, 2022, 05:30:26 pm »
That's comforting Steve!          &shake&

I had an astronomical fuel bill in November and am just getting over it.      I'll have to wear my Winter walking gear inside the house next week
Us too, we were sitting pretty with a large credit, so we thought, totally wiped out

Offline Hugo

« Reply #682 on: January 27, 2022, 05:48:05 pm »
We also had a large credit of about £230.00 going in to November but we spent most of the time in the sunlounge.   Underfloor electric heating and two electric fires for a lot of the time took the electric bill to £290.00 plus £70.00 for the gas.     
Never again, we won't stay there in the Winter months again

Offline SteveH

« Reply #683 on: January 28, 2022, 03:44:19 pm »
A weather alert has been issued for North Wales as Storm Malik approaches this weekend.

High winds are expected to strike the region, with gusts of up to 80mph expected in parts, as the storm hits.

The Met Office has issued a yellow wind weather warning for North Wales, coming into effect at 6pm on Sunday, until midday on Monday.

It covers Anglesey, Gwynedd, Conwy, Denbighshire and Flintshire, with the public warned the high winds could pose a "danger to life" near the coast.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/storm-malik-sparks-danger-life-22905853

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: January 28, 2022, 05:16:52 pm »
The strongest winds will be coming from the NW, so the coast is going to be hit badly, I suspect.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2022, 11:02:19 am »
Calmac Ferry skippers are saying the stormy weather giving rise to ongoing heavy swell conditions is worse this winter than for many years.
Our nearby island , Tiree, has gone for days without a service, so much they have had to ration food and fuel. On several occasions the ferry has sailed out to the island and been unable to berth safely, having to return back to Oban. Around trip of 6/7 hours and you are back were you started.

https://lifeontiree.com/2022/02/10/relief-arrives/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2022, 11:16:30 am »
Thanks M.  for that very interesting article.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #687 on: February 13, 2022, 09:35:35 am »
We in Wales have no idea really of the challenges the Scottish Islanders have to face all year round but especially in Winter with the bad weather.     The quality of life up there must be incredible but there are drawbacks too
Mull and his dog Fly have been part of the Mountain search and rescue team for years and go out often in extremely bad and hazardous weather conditions so full credit to all those dedicated volunteers who give up their time and effort to help others.     

Offline mull

« Reply #688 on: February 13, 2022, 11:35:29 am »
 Hi Hugo, No more Mountain Rescue or SARDA. I am now "over the hill", although at only 9 years Fly is still OK for a while yet.

Tiree - Happened again on Saturday Lord of the Isles sailed out from Oban but was unable to berth due the heavy swell ,and returned to Oban. Trying again Sunday morning leaving at 0615, hope they will be succeed, wind has dropped to almost calm but I have no doubt swell be still running.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2022, 10:50:19 am »
Hi Hugo, No more Mountain Rescue or SARDA. I am now "over the hill", although at only 9 years Fly is still OK for a while yet.

I don't believe that for one minute Mull, you're as fit as a fiddle and there's no way on earth me or my walking mates could keep up with you even now.      I used to huff and puff when I went up mountains so there is no way I could do what you have done for so many years.      Good on you Mull for all the hard work you have done and all the people you have helped over the years.
Enjoy your retirement from SARDA and I'm sure that you'll have plenty to do up there on that beautiful Island.     I hope that your garage survives Storm Eunice