Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 200376 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #660 on: December 01, 2021, 12:20:28 pm »
There are people up here still without power and water. They were cut off on Friday night and have been told they won't get reconnected until later today (Wednesday) at the earliest. Scottish Power offered to put them up in an hotel but some people have dogs and thought it might be tricky. There are many trees down all over the place. Some of them are large and have stood there for a long time by the look of it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #661 on: December 05, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
Storm Barra: Wales weather warning for 70mph winds.     My neighbours lost three large trees as a result of the last Storm Arwen and they were just removed today.     I hope that this coming storm doesn't do any more damage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59540281

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #662 on: December 05, 2021, 06:50:47 pm »
My goodness. Was his roof ok?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: December 05, 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
Storm Barra is moving in on Tuesday. Possible winds of 90mph, so not much fun.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: December 05, 2021, 10:56:42 pm »
My goodness. Was his roof ok?

I'll know tomorrow when I go past his house but his next door neighbour escaped with just a little damage

Offline Hugo

« Reply #665 on: December 06, 2021, 11:16:22 am »
I walked past the house when I was out walking our dog Teddy today and noticed that there appeared to be only slight damage to the property.  A small section of roof tiles were affected.     The owner was very lucky indeed that no structural damage had been done
We got drenched on the walk but the wind seems to have died down. for now anyway!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: December 06, 2021, 12:35:45 pm »
The good news is that the storm centre itself looks as  though it's going to pass directly across us Wednesday morning, so it should be very calm the day after the storm, although it will actually still  be pretty intense outside of the core. S Wales looks as though it's going to bear the brunt of the storm, now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #667 on: December 07, 2021, 09:38:20 am »
Calls for urgent action after section of promenade is demolished by rough seas                                 ref DP
Llanfairfechan's coastal walkway was unable to withstand the weekend's storm surge despite recent repairs

Offline DVT

« Reply #668 on: December 07, 2021, 04:39:49 pm »
Seems rather busy off the east coast of Anglesey!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #669 on: December 08, 2021, 11:43:48 pm »
Storm Barra has made Barmouth look like the West Shore Llandudno

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/images-show-devastation-storm-barra-22407126

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great British Weather Debate.........Two bitter winters
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2021, 03:27:29 pm »
Two bitter winters which saw rivers freeze and snow fall for 36 hours solid                                       
Two winters 20 years apart saw blizzards, power lines brought down and beaches turn to ice

In North Wales, it's fair to say we've seen our fair share of cold winters over the years.

The winter of 1962-63 was the coldest in the UK for more than 200 years and is sometimes remembered as the Big Freeze.

Temperatures dropped to -20C bringing with it blizzards and snow drifts, driven by gale force winds. Roads and railways were blocked while power lines were brought down and villagers stranded.

Lakes and rivers froze and huge blocks of ice appeared on beaches. It was even reported that in Penarth, Glamorganshire, the sea actually froze solid.

Another particularly cold spell came two decades later, during the winter of 1981-82. In January of 1982, snow fell solidly on Wales for 36 hours, leaving entire front doors submerged, cars buried and livestock decimated.

Snow ploughs were brought in to clear a large drift in Conwy as residents struggled to get to the shops in Rhos on Sea.

More recently, a cold snap in 2010 saw temperatures plummeting to -10C in places, with snowy conditions lasting through most of December.

But as well as disruption and hardship a particularly bitter winter can bring, some snowfall - especially around this time of year - can completely transform the landscape and provide fun for families.

20 photographs pulled from our archives below show how people in North Wales have coped through decades of freezing winters.

Gallery .........https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/two-bitter-winters-saw-rivers-22424850

One for DVT ....."Snow was an unexpected hazard for the Cambrian Rally, on the Great Orme's Marine Drive. Photo taken Llandudno 1979"

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2021, 06:44:23 pm »
we got married in February 1963 and as you said it was one of the coldest on record, we slid down the path to the church and the Photographer wouldn't take photo's of the guests as it was to cold to stand around. That's one year we'll never forget

Offline DVT

« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2021, 07:46:40 pm »
That guy puzzling over the Cambrian Route is ... Me !!!

I was clerk-of-the-course that year (1979) ... all the snow fell on Friday night and the first car should have left the start at Red Garages at 9am Saturday.   The forest roads were all blocked.  At 9.30 I announced that the event was cancelled.  The pubs in Llandudno did well that day!

That pic seems to crop up every ten years or so in Daily Post or Weekly News ... it was taken by a friend of mine who came with me just after we'd cancelled to see what it was like round the Marine Drive.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #673 on: December 13, 2021, 09:54:33 am »
I did wonder................. $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #674 on: December 26, 2021, 04:57:09 pm »
Snow in Wales: Remembering 1981's white Christmas

I lived in Dyserth at the time and the village was cut off by the snow.   No buses were running then so Mrs H and I had to walk from Dyserth to Rhuddlan to catch a bus to get us to work.
In fact my car was in the garage for ten days before I could drive it on to the road and that was only because my next door neighbour was a farmer and used a snow plough to dig a passage through the snow drift.     Even then I had to drive on about a foot of snow to get to the road in front of my house

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59757127