Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199745 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #570 on: January 02, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »
The weather in Colwyn Bay has been quite rough this morning and it must be bin day in some parts of the area as I've driven past quite a few of the empty green stacker bins which have been blown across the roads.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #571 on: January 12, 2020, 11:51:26 am »
People often talk about the extremes of weather that we are having now and despite what Donald Trump may say about Global Warming being "fake news"   we know from the scientists and the News that this is actually happening.    We can also see for ourselves, especially older people like me can see that local conditions like wind and sea levels and storms are getting more extreme.
I've attached three photos below which I have attached many many times before and it gave me food for thought.

Photo No1 was taken about 1960
Photo No2  was taken in 1988  ( but was like that in 1992 also )
That is roughly 28 years +  between both photos

Photo No 2 again taken in 1988
Photo No 3  taken in 2019
That is roughly 31 years between photos 

Is that a sign of an acceleration of Global warming or  a catastrophic clanger by the CCBC?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2020, 01:16:29 pm »
People often talk about the extremes of weather that we are having now and despite what Donald Trump may say about Global Warming being "fake news"   we know from the scientists and the News that this is actually happening.    We can also see for ourselves, especially older people like me can see that local conditions like wind and sea levels and storms are getting more extreme.
I've attached three photos below which I have attached many many times before and it gave me food for thought.

As much as CCBC would like to blame Global warming for the West Shore mess, I think it is just bad planning, I would like to see Trump face to face with an Australian crowd and tell them Global Warming is fake news, my own views on GW are whether natural or man made, we have to act now, and lower our contribution before it is to late.     

An article I read some time ago.........  How We Know Today's Climate Change Is Not Natural     https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2017/04/04/how-we-know-climate-change-is-not-natural/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #573 on: January 13, 2020, 02:30:51 pm »
The storm is looking bad here in Colwyn Bay but other parts of N Wales seem to have had in worse and there is another 24 hours to come of this bad weather

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/storm-brendan-live-flood-alerts-17558886

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #574 on: April 02, 2020, 01:21:41 pm »
The UK is set to bask in balmy conditions as temperatures warmer than Greece and Spain are expected this weekend.

Forecasters are predicting that the mercury could rise to 20C on Sunday - warmer than the 15C forecast in Athens and the 18C expected in Malaga.

The UK remains in a partial lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak, so people wishing to enjoy the warm spell will have to make do with spending it in their gardens or on their daily exercise outing.

People have been urged to avoid all but essential travel while the pandemic continues.

The warm weather will be tempered, however, by strong winds in North Wales, with gusts reaching 50mph in some places.  refDP

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #576 on: August 04, 2020, 09:59:23 am »
I  wish that this hot weather that has been forecast comes here quickly as I've had to put the central heating on today

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hottest-temperatures-hit-north-wales-18710049

Offline mull

« Reply #577 on: August 04, 2020, 11:47:34 am »
With you there Hugo. We have just lit the fire, crazy in August.

Heavy rain, southerly gale so the garden is taking a real battering. Weather up here has been much cooler this year after a lovely May so things are just coming out and then this happens.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: August 04, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »
Around 20 years ago climatologists forecast the UK would see a shift towards milder winters, wetter and windier summers and more periods of extreme heat for short spells. If we don't have any snow this year it'll be around seven years since we last saw it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #579 on: August 04, 2020, 01:12:21 pm »
With you there Hugo. We have just lit the fire, crazy in August.

Heavy rain, southerly gale so the garden is taking a real battering. Weather up here has been much cooler this year after a lovely May so things are just coming out and then this happens.

Our metal garden furniture has just blown over as have some of the large garden flower pots so I've had to put everything on the floor to save further damage.     It's just extremes of weather at the moment
At least I don't live on the West Shore and get sand blasted, it must be awful there today

Offline Hugo

« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2020, 04:26:40 pm »
After the gales this week here comes a heatwave.   I wonder what next week has to offer weather wise       ?{}?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/saharan-blowtorch-heatwave-send-uk-18725728

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2020, 06:41:15 pm »
Saturday won't be too bad, but Fri, Sun, Mon and Tues could be uncomfortable. Biggest problem today is humidity. 64% indoor and more than 80% out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #582 on: August 06, 2020, 07:00:01 pm »

Our metal garden furniture has just blown over as have some of the large garden flower pots so I've had to put everything on the floor to save further damage.     It's just extremes of weather at the moment
At least I don't live on the West Shore and get sand blasted, it must be awful there today

There is a video on FB of the sand blowing. You expect camels round the next corner !
West Shore was exceedingly busy this afternoon, despite the sand !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: August 06, 2020, 07:42:12 pm »
For a very precise view of global weather this is the best site. You can zoom into an area very closely, and it provides instant temperatures under the mouse pointer .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #584 on: August 06, 2020, 09:45:40 pm »
Interesting site. Made me a little doubtful though when investigating local things that I was informed that the Grand Hotel had a pool !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.