Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199622 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #510 on: June 07, 2019, 08:11:32 am »
I suspect the rain will be heavy and prolonged, today.  That's quite a low pressure front moving in and we're going to get the worst of it as it tracks very slowly Northwards.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #511 on: June 07, 2019, 06:51:37 pm »
Got away with not getting wet doing timekeeping at the end of the Orme sections this morning, just had a couple of spots of rain.  The afternoon saw me at Llweni Airfield but this time I was just an observer so could check cars off whilst sitting in my car - but got wet having to jump out to repositon cones that were hit!

The There Castles usually gets cracking weather - last year was fantastic - I have been involved in all 16 Three Castle events and we have only had one really wet one before, this year wasn't as bad as the last wet one!

Lots of happy competitors in some fantastic cars.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #512 on: June 12, 2019, 01:56:52 pm »
Looking at the news, it looks like the East part of NW is getting hammered, Roads and railway lines closed, homes evacuated and schools shut as heavy rain floods parts of , Flintshire, Wrexham and Deeside.................   Llandudno  appears to be doing OK ?

But then you can't let it get you down..............ref DP

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:52 pm »
Llandudno has one of the lowest rainfall levels in the UK, the warmest winters and the most temperate climate generally. Little wonder the Victorians decided to make it a holiday resort instead of a coal terminus.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #514 on: June 12, 2019, 03:31:51 pm »
Llandudno has one of the lowest rainfall levels in the UK, the warmest winters and the most temperate climate generally. Little wonder the Victorians decided to make it a holiday resort instead of a coal terminus.

I have learnt my lesson, saying how "Three Towns area is fairing well in adverse weather conditions" in the past, when it was just Llandudno, so a subtle question mark in the above post, just in case

Offline Hugo

« Reply #515 on: June 12, 2019, 05:22:09 pm »

I have learnt my lesson, saying how "Three Towns area is fairing well in adverse weather conditions" in the past, when it was just Llandudno, so a subtle question mark in the above post, just in case

Apart from 1993 of course.        :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIJ3vmlcP4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #516 on: June 12, 2019, 05:43:14 pm »

Apart from 1993 of course.        :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIJ3vmlcP4

You are quite right, my apologies to Llandudno,                            $booboo$                   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #517 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:42 pm »
I think that that was just an exceptional freak of nature and I hope that it was a one off,  but one thing that you can regularly rely on is the wind.     
Especially on the West Shore, but those Kite Surfers there just love those conditions

Offline Hugo

« Reply #518 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:34 pm »
It seems like the Three Towns area has been lucky compared to other parts of N Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48600293

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: June 21, 2019, 03:13:28 pm »
There are now six severe weather alerts for thunderstorms over Wales on Monday and Tuesday. It's pretty unusual for them to be issued so far in advance of the days concerned, so they must be high probability events. Let's hope it's not 1993 all over again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #520 on: July 23, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
Weather's turning, looks like rain.........    $sunny$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #521 on: July 24, 2019, 10:45:32 am »
This is a quote from a story in the DP ......North Wales had the highest level of rainfall in the UK overnight, with 15mm of rain falling in just one hour."   ........ I was expecting it, made sure everything was put away, and left watering the garden  :(    but nothing here in Llandudno, anyone in the area get any ?

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2019, 12:26:44 am »
i was going to post that looks like a storm cloud, sure enough we had a bad storm at about 12-45 in the morning and the heavens opened up

Offline SteveH

« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2019, 08:34:31 pm »
I think we were luckier than some Llandudno residents, I stood and watched the level rising back and front of the property, and there was nothing I could do, very glad that it stopped for us in time.

Roads flooded and homes left without power as thunderstorms batter North Wales
More bad weather is forecast for parts of the region tomorrow.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/roads-flooded-homes-left-without-16670936

Offline SteveH

« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2019, 01:14:12 pm »
Being housebound and a bit fed up with the weather, I felt rotten when I realised that both the Eisteddfod and Eglwysbach Show were on over the Weekend, and from experience, I am well aware of the difficulties involved in these conditions, rain you can plan for, but wind can be unpredictable and dangerous, I think a "Well Done" to all involved, is in order.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/staging-national-eisteddfod-nothing-short-16733516