Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199842 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #540 on: September 02, 2019, 03:33:48 pm »
DVT,    I've just had a look at British Newspapers online and a report of the accident was reported in the Liverpool Echo on the 9th Feb 1967
It was a Bedford Dormobile that went in to the river and the paper said that 10 children were orphaned although I'm sure that I read 6 children  and I think that my friend said 6 too.   Whatever the number was it was a terrible tragedy and the parents were only in their mid to late 30's when it happened

Offline DVT

« Reply #541 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:42 pm »
Thanks for that info, Hugo.  I would have been nearly 18 at that time but strangely cannot remember the incident despite living only a couple of minutes away.  Terrible accident and must have been not long after that the new stretch of road opened.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #542 on: September 04, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
DVT,  today was the first time in over 50 years since I have been by that narrow bridge that was once part of the main road.   The tide was quite high and although the water was a muddy colour it looked quite deep
The weir that you refer to, is it upstream and just out of sight in my photo?

Offline DVT

« Reply #543 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:23 pm »
Hugo ...

... the weir I refer to is further upstream.  The photo here was taken this morning, I was hoping to take the same pic at high tide which I thought was due at 1515 today but I was still there at 1530 and it had some way to go, and I couldn't wait any longer, had to go on patrol!

... the pic is taken from the stone bridge that is directly opposite the Old Mill at the bottom of Bodnant Garden (see pic from tripadvisor).  The weir I refer to is at the bottom of the picture I took, it is directly under the remains of an old crane (the jib has long gone).  There is another weir directly below the wooden footbridge that leads to Mill Cottage, that bridge is not within the garden grounds.

... at high tide the water level gets over the weir and reaches the stone bridge.

... the two weirs would, in my opinion, have allowed a still depth of water in which to moor a barge for use in transporting the corn in the days of the mill working (1830 to 1870) but no-one has found any evidence to support my theory.  Equally, no-one has been able to prove me wrong!!!

... when I was a boy playing in the river (early 1950's) the water level only came over the weir during spring tides, now it happens every time - so why has the water level risen?

... some say global warming and the melting of the ice caps.  I think that the constant running of rivers into the sea, taking with it silt, would contribute much more to the rise in levels.  Add to that all the rubbish that has gone into the oceans and there is a noticeable displacement of water, and consequently rising levels.  That's just my theory, I am no scientist!

Apologies to admin - this discussion has hi-jacked the original thread so please move if deemed necessary!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: September 06, 2019, 08:44:22 am »
Well...it's still roughly on climate and weather :-)   Might see you this weekend - we're popping up for the free entrance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #545 on: September 06, 2019, 01:07:49 pm »
Sorry, I'll be in New Brighton tomorrow (Saturday).  As Ian points out, it's FREE entry to Bodnant Garden (Saturday 7th) - plenty to see as the autumn colours are starting to show.  You won't see high tide though as that's about 6am and 6pm when the garden is closed!  Keep your eyes open at the Far End as the kingfishers are around.  Wednesdays and Thursdays are when I'm there and will gladly give you a guided tour, start times usually 11am and 2pm.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #546 on: September 07, 2019, 02:16:11 pm »
Bodnant was heaving from the moment the gates opened today. Despite being overcast hordes piled in, filling the car parks and pouring into the gardens.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #547 on: September 07, 2019, 02:27:13 pm »
I thought that it might be busy there today so I decided against going and will go there when the Autumn colours appear later on.
It has been a nice day today so I hope that those that did go there enjoyed the experience

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #548 on: September 07, 2019, 02:49:45 pm »
We certainly did. 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #549 on: September 18, 2019, 09:34:20 am »
One of the best signs of Autumn.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #550 on: September 19, 2019, 03:01:16 pm »
The last two sunsets at Westshore have been stunning, if you cannot get here, may I suggest you check it out on the Westshore cafe Web cam.   I have not had a go myself, but have put my alarm on for 7pm.        http://www.westshorebeachcafe.com/webcam-in-llandudno/

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #551 on: September 19, 2019, 09:35:51 pm »
Just been to see it at the West Shore, lovely!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #552 on: September 19, 2019, 10:04:23 pm »
I grabbed this tonight
West Shore café web-cam
The clock is usually 4 minutes fast  $yes$

Must be pretty close to low tide

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: September 20, 2019, 08:57:51 am »
Great pics. I was hoping for more clouds, personally, as I think they add something to the scene.  This wall-to-wall blueness can make you feel a bit blue...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #554 on: September 20, 2019, 09:28:20 am »
I was going to say sorry this morning as the sunset was not as deep !  as the previous nights, but the pics look good, I spotted quite a few people down there on the web cam, and it was a lovely evening.

I have tried to get a screen shot off that cam before without success ....  any advice please.  Ta