Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199701 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #495 on: November 21, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »
Here we go, the DP say's       "The Mini beast from the east" brings snow to North wales, ?  well a light dusting anyway.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2019, 10:20:35 am »
What a difference?

27 February 2018 and 27 February 2019.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:54 am »
This morning, on BBC Wales news' weather forecast, the presenter's first sentence was "We're starting off with a few scattered showers this morning...". Now, it had been raining so hard since around 0600 it was clearly competing for a place in the Biblical Deluges section of the Gunness annual, a fact which even her own graphics revealed with stark clarity.   So why did she talk such arrant nonsense?

Because it was dry in Cardiff. The North/South divide is alive and well.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2019, 04:52:54 pm »
It has been raining quite a bit in Colwyn Bay today but not as bad as what you have experienced Ian but you are correct about the North/South divide.
It's no consolation but it applies to England and Scotland too,
Can you remember how traditionally we used to use a single location in the country to define a white Christmas which was the Met Office building in London.

However, with the increase in betting on where you will see a white Christmas, the number of locations have increased and can now include sites such as Buckingham Palace, Belfast (Aldergrove Airport), Aberdeen (Pittodrie - Aberdeen FC), Edinburgh (Castle), Coronation Street in Manchester and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.
No mention of Snowdonia or the Lake District or he Highlands     :(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2019, 10:31:37 am »
A quote from this mornings DP Storm Gareth report, "Gale force winds will hit the region later in the evening and overnight." I don't know about tonight, but last night here in Llandudno it was scary, I have said in the past that my tiles are noisy, in strong winds, but about 4am the house was hit with, best described as a huge WHUMP, I thought the house was going, never mind a few tiles.    :o

Offline SteveH

« Reply #500 on: March 18, 2019, 02:52:15 pm »
A North Wales railway line could be closed for several weeks after heavy rain and flooding caused significant damage leaving it unsafe.

Large swathes of the Conwy Valley were left underwater on Saturday after more than 130mm of rain fell - double the UK average for the whole of the month.

It caused "significant" flooding on the Conwy Valley railway line and no trains can now operate between Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Photos of the damage have been released by Transport for Wales with bosses saying a large amount of work is needed to get trains running again.   
More  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pictures-show-significant-damage-train-15990628

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2019, 09:14:26 am »
Certain sections of the line are very vulnerable to flood damage. Surely it would make long term financial sense to build bridges in those areas in order to let the flood waters flow freely underneath, rather than having to repair the line every year?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:19 am »
 It's the fact that they're laid in the flood plain itself that's the issue; once there's unusually heavy and torrential rain the levels simply rise across the entire valley, and no bridges would save them. Doesn't happen that often, but with climate change moving the way it is it will happen more in the future, I suspect.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #503 on: April 03, 2019, 03:46:08 pm »
The weather this morning in parts of North Wales.   I hope those people out walking on Snowdon are prepared for walking up there and that the Mountain Rescue team does not have to be called out just because of ill prepared walkers

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/snowy-scenes-people-woke-up-16069553

Offline SteveH

« Reply #504 on: June 06, 2019, 10:49:01 am »
I am wary about posting weather forecasts, but just in case.............Like us, you may need to protect young plants......

Frost, thunderstorms and heavy rain predicted for North Wales
Temperatures in North Wales are set to plunge close to freezing tonight, bringing the possibility of frost to parts of the region.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/frost-thunderstorms-heavy-rain-predicted-16385410

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #505 on: June 06, 2019, 11:05:04 am »
This weather in June is very odd.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #506 on: June 06, 2019, 12:39:32 pm »
That's comforting Steve,  there goes my Geraniums and if the frost doesn't kill them then the winds will finish them off   :(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #507 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:52 pm »
That's comforting Steve,  there goes my Geraniums and if the frost doesn't kill them then the winds will finish them off   :(
I would not worry too much, as I said I am wary of posting weather forecasts, and if you check out some others, they don't seem as bad as the DP's, Mrs H. told me off, for trusting the DP. without confirmation........  :roll:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #508 on: June 06, 2019, 04:12:04 pm »
The weather is just unpredictable and in the past we have cancelled a few walks only to find out on the day that it was ideal for a walk.
Nowadays we arrange a walk and if the weather is dodgy then we just call the walk off.     

Offline DVT

« Reply #509 on: June 06, 2019, 07:01:41 pm »
Hope the prediction is wrong - a gang of us are on the Orme at 6.30 in the morning ready to marshal on the Three Castles Classic Rally!  Already been rained on yesterday and today (only just go back havign  left home early this morning) - don't really want a third soaking as I'm out all day doing other jobs on the event as well!