Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 198567 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #480 on: April 04, 2018, 10:45:30 am »
Following Hugo's helpful advice I ordered one satisfactorily.  I went via the official Dwr Cymru website.  You have to register as a customer and there's only one allowed per household.

Hi Cambrian,    I have been waiting eagerly for my tap cover to arrive and today the great moment arrived so I opened the parcel as quickly as I could because it's not often that you get a bargain like that.
The tap cover looks like a square polystyrene bell and it was already squashed and with it was a 6 foot length of lagging.    I wish that I could have got the £15.00 plus back but then realised that I didn't have to pay for it anyway.
It's only a bargain if it is any good but at least I'll keep the lagging tube but the cover has gone straight into the black bin. Some you win some you lose        :(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:02 pm »
Bad luck H. I was going to order one after reading your original post....... guess what.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2018, 08:33:40 pm »
Yep unlucky with that freebie...  I must admit that following the links, I thought you would get this one:  https://aqualogicwc.co.uk/store/dcww/garden/winter-tap-jacket/

---
Only one outdoor problem here over the cold spell.  One compression joint near a tap pushed out but I could (and should have done before the freeze) turn the affected bit of pipework off and I left the repair until things warmed up. I'll find out what it did to the micro irrigation bits later this month - it will soon be time to connect the pump and tap timers up.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2018, 10:57:04 pm »
I could make a tap like that out of the tubing that they sent but it's certainly not what I expected.      I'll be better prepared next Winter though, even if it means forking out on a proper tap cover

Offline SteveH

« Reply #484 on: July 11, 2018, 12:35:34 pm »
If this does arrive, and the ground being hard, there could be problems.

Yellow warning is in force from 11am until 8pm on Friday, July 13 and covers the whole region.

Forecasters are warning that some areas could be hit by 20mm (just under an inch) of rain in just an hour which could see some homes flooded.

Motorists are also being warned that heavy showers could pose difficult driving conditions due to spray and standing water.

While the Met Office warning also states that there could be power cuts due to lightning strikes.

Rain is expected to arrive in the region on Thursday before the downpours turn heavier on Friday.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/met-office-issues-north-wales-14894029

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:46 pm »
At least they've got the right day :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
Certainly could do with some rain where I am, but maybe not so much as that in one go.  The sugar beet in the field is looking OK and I've not seen the farm out with their watering canon (thing that sort of tracks up and down the field and I guess draws water from a private bore hole or reservoir) they sometimes use but our own few attempts this year have needed a lot of assistance..

Our bits of grass, come whatever else may grow there, eg, clover, daisies, etc. is very parched,  Is that the same in N Wales?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #487 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:38 pm »
Do you think I’m being wise?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #488 on: July 14, 2018, 12:10:02 pm »
Crop marks reveal ancient sites in Wales due to heatwave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44806069

Offline hollins

« Reply #489 on: July 14, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »
This is amazing. I was fascinated by this one too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44786388

Offline Hugo

« Reply #490 on: July 14, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »
Thanks for posting that Hollins, my friends were talking about it this week so it was nice to see the photo of the garden

Offline SteveH

« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2018, 12:26:39 pm »
Tornado stuns weather watchers in the skies over Llandudno
The phenomenon was caught on camera by witnesses.

A large funnel could be seen forming on the water behind Parc Llandudno retail estate before snaking along the shoreline. It then proceeded to dump water on the Victorian town.     ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2018, 05:19:03 pm »
Hope everybody is OK,    we have been very jumpy at times, windows feel like they are going to blow in, and the roof, ??? we have the large Marley tiles, sounds horrible as if being lifted and slammed down, nasty, not going to check until tomorrow.

Just heard the cable car Co. has had a cable detach from a gantry.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2018, 06:32:28 pm »
It's pretty wild up here on Colwyn Heights Steve but Mrs H was in Llandudno  earlier today and said that it was worse there.   Some places in Wales have had it really bad but the sad thing is that this is just the start of the Winter storm season

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2018, 07:42:12 pm »
We were expecting a service call from Hotpoint next Monday but this afternoon Hotpoint telephoned to reappoint because a tree had blown over onto the Hotpoint van !!