Author Topic: The Great British Weather Debate  (Read 199810 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The Great British Weather Debate
« Reply #450 on: March 01, 2018, 10:43:02 am »
The temperature was around minus 4C all day yesterday and last night I noticed that an outdoor pipe had frozen up so I checked two outdoor taps and there was an icicle on one so I think that I'll need the service of a plumber very quickly after the pipes thaw.
This is the first time in the 32 years since I have lived here that the pipes have frozen and it's due to get worse today and tomorrow.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #451 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:02 am »
As I was putting my computer on just now I noticed that the waves were pounding the prom at Rhos and took a couple of photos,   They were taken through the window as there was no way that I was going outside to take them as it's freezing at the moment.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #452 on: March 02, 2018, 11:30:00 am »
Nasty, not a clever place to park a car  ! !

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #453 on: March 02, 2018, 11:44:48 am »
A55 signage says Holyhead Port is closed and there is a diversion via the Menai Bridge. Presumably the Britannia bridge is closed because of high winds.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #454 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:35 am »
A55 signage says Holyhead Port is closed and there is a diversion via the Menai Bridge. Presumably the Britannia bridge is closed because of high winds.

I have just read the article below, and after seeing hugo's photos, I did not realise things were so bad, must admit, have not been out much, just enjoying the central heating.

Live: Emergency at Holyhead Marina as Storm Emma sinks boats
Police are asking people to avoid the area due to a major incident.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-emergency-holyhead-marina-storm-14359073

Offline hollins

« Reply #455 on: March 02, 2018, 12:40:44 pm »
Good job I didn't book Sainsbury's!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #456 on: March 02, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
I had to pop out for a bag of salt grit as I had used the last bit this morning when I dug the snow off the drive again so I went down to Rhos,
High tide had been about an hour before I took some more photos, so the waves were not as powerful as when I first saw them but even so the Caley  embankment was cordoned off

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #457 on: March 02, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »
It will be interesting to see how much of CCBC very expensive sand remains after these easterly winds .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #458 on: March 02, 2018, 02:09:31 pm »
I mentioned above about the Holyhead situation, which has now escalated.......

Up to 80 boats have been sunk or wrecked as Storm Emma ripped through Holyhead Marina.
Shocking images revealed ‘complete destruction’ after millions of pounds worth of boats were smashed against rocks by massive waves during the early hours of today.

A 30-foot boat was among the boats sunk as hurricane force winds tore through the site.

Pontoons were damaged, as was the marina itself and fuel has leaked into the water.
Coastguards are looking at how they can protect the environment.
No-one has been hurt but the coastguard and police urged people stay away from the marina for their own safety.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-emergency-holyhead-marina-storm-14359073

Offline Hugo

« Reply #459 on: March 02, 2018, 02:31:15 pm »
I've just watched the news today and there was a clip of a bus going into a skid and avoiding a collision with a parked car,   The video has gone viral but they have identified the driver who was on TV and it was a fantastic piece of driving by the young blonde lady.
Another motorist attracted my attention, but for the wrong reason when he was interviewed on the TV.    He along with many other motorists had been stuck in the snow for a number of hours and he had a young child with him.    After complaining about the traffic not moving his parting words were " it's pathetic"
My thoughts were that we have all had enough warning so who really was pathetic?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #460 on: March 02, 2018, 04:21:26 pm »
The temperature was around minus 4C all day yesterday and last night I noticed that an outdoor pipe had frozen up so I checked two outdoor taps and there was an icicle on one so I think that I'll need the service of a plumber very quickly after the pipes thaw.
This is the first time in the 32 years since I have lived here that the pipes have frozen and it's due to get worse today and tomorrow.

Just as an add on although it may be too late for me, last night I had a conversation with my walking mate Tellytubby about a Winter Lagging Kit from Welsh Water and he told me to go on to their website.        The kit retails at £15.00 but it's FREE ONLINE   and just in case anyone thinks that it's too good to be true I've copied my e-mail from them.

Product Quantity Unit price Discount Subtotal
Winter Lagging Kit
CODE: LAGPAK01
 1 £15.00 £15.00 £0.00 
Subtotal:  £0.00
Including discount:  £15.00
Shipping cost:  £0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total cost:  £0.00

Offline Hugo

« Reply #461 on: March 02, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
I've just watched the news today and there was a clip of a bus going into a skid and avoiding a collision with a parked car,   The video has gone viral but they have identified the driver who was on TV and it was a fantastic piece of driving by the young blonde lady.
Another motorist attracted my attention, but for the wrong reason when he was interviewed on the TV.    He along with many other motorists had been stuck in the snow for a number of hours and he had a young child with him.    After complaining about the traffic not moving his parting words were " it's pathetic"
My thoughts were that we have all had enough warning so who really was pathetic?

I've just seen a link to the video and it's well worth watching

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43255368

Offline Hugo

« Reply #462 on: March 03, 2018, 09:18:16 am »
This photo appeared on facebook and shows you how cold it is for Aber Falls to freeze

Offline SteveH

« Reply #463 on: March 03, 2018, 10:55:12 am »
Hugo, thanks for the WW free offer tip, the sights I have checked are saying " out of stock"  can you pass your link on us please.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #464 on: March 03, 2018, 02:45:49 pm »
Following Hugo's helpful advice I ordered one satisfactorily.  I went via the official Dwr Cymru website.  You have to register as a customer and there's only one allowed per household.